Sign in to follow this  
Old Student

A diagram from the Zhongho ji

Here is a diagram from page 30 of the Zhonghe ji (中和集).

http://repository.lib.cuhk.edu.hk/en/item/cuhk-44970#page/31/mode/2up

(I couldn't get the image jpeg to load, it is a jpeg on the page but TDB's loader doesn't like the URL). The diagram has two parts, the right hand part is called, "verbal formula" (口訣) the left hand part is called "metaphor" (譬喻).

On the right are three steps, at the bottom is the trigram kan (坎).  On either side, it says, "When the body doesn't move, the jing coalesces/strengthens." (身不動,精自固).

Then at the top, is the trigram li (離). On either side, it says "When the heart/mind doesn't move, the qi coalesces/strengthens." (心不動,氣自固).

There are 2 lines coming from the center lines on each trigram to right under the other, the one going from kan to li has a wu (戊) the 5th tiangan (celestial stem), the one going from li to kan has a si (巳) the 6th dizhi (earthly branch).  On either side of the center it says daogui (刀圭) which means a tiny pinch (of medicine).

Then the central trigram is qian (乾).  On either side, it says "When the intent doesn't move, the shen spiritifies." (意不動,神自靈) or maybe, in keeping with leaving Daoist concepts transliterated, "the shen ling-ifies".

On the left (metaphor) side, there are three corresponding circular diagrams representing the same thing:  At top a white circle with black center (li), in the center a white circle (qian), and at the bottom a black circle with white center (kan).

On the kan circle, above it, it says, "refine jing transmutes to qi" (錬精化氣) and on either side it says, "Inside the body is jing, inside yin is yang."

On the li circle, above it, it says, "refine qi transmutes to shen" (錬氣化神) and on either side it says, "Inside the heart/mind is qi, inside the yang is yin."

The center circle says "yuan shen" (元神). Above and below, it says, "refine shen returns to emptiness" (錬神還虛).

Each thing that must be refined and transmuted is done so by keeping the thing that holds it still.  To transmute jing, this is the transmutation of kan, yang within yin, which is the jing within the body, it changes when the body is kept still.  To transmute the qi, this is the transmutation of li, yin within yang, which is qi within the heart/mind, it changes when the heart/mind is kept still.  To transmute shen, this is the transmutation of qian, the yuan qi, it returns to emptiness (shen becomes ling) when the intent is kept still.

I have two questions:

1) 神自靈. Ling is used as a verb, I think here it means that the spirit of the corporeal person becomes the ethereal spirit (returns to emptiness)?

2) Is it refining (bodily/after heaven) jing becomes original qi refining original qi becomes original shen (original being 元)? Or is it refining bodily jing becomes original qi, refining bodily qi becomes original shen, refining shen becomes ling and returns to emptiness?

This is one of my favorite diagrams, I like the holding things still makes them change thing.

default.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Old Student said:

I couldn't get the image jpeg to load, 

FIFY

2 hours ago, Old Student said:

1) 神自靈. Ling is used as a verb, I think here it means that the spirit of the corporeal person becomes the ethereal spirit (returns to emptiness)?

Yes it does, but Ling is not a verb. "神spirit 自on its own becomes 靈numinous"

2) Is it refining (bodily/after heaven) jing becomes original qi refining original qi becomes original shen (original being 元)? Or is it refining bodily jing becomes original qi, refining bodily qi becomes original shen, refining shen becomes ling and returns to emptiness?

Interestingly, both answers are affirmative

image.png

Edited by Taoist Texts
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

more details

From the Encyclopedia of Taoism (Robinet, translated by Predagio):

dianhua 點化 projection”

“In Western alchemy, the term “projection” denotes the process by which a small quantity of elixir confers its properties on any substance which is added to it.  This notion corresponds to the Chinese term dianhua, where hua indicates “transmutation” and dian literally means “one dot,” hence to transmute by means of a small quantity. Several *waidan texts mention this term and the corresponding process of transmutation as evidence that the elixir has been achieved.

“Later alchemists, associated with both waidan and *neidan, expanded the notion of dianhua by taking dian to mean the “particle” of precosmic Original Pneuma (*yuanqi) that circulates in the cosmos along circles of time.  This particle is represented by the unbroken line (–) of the *Yijing, and its cycles of ascent and descent are illustrated by the twelve “primary hexagrams” (biqua 辟卦; see *huohou) which reproduce a complete time sequence (in particular, the twelve double hours of the day, and the twelve months of the year).”

For reference. The phrase does not show up in the diagram in question.

Edited by Old Student

Quote from OP

Old Student

“Each thing that must be redefined and transmuted is done so by keeping the thing that holds it still.”

And numerous

”kept still”

This is both correct and incorrect:

There must be stillness and it must abide in stillness - stillness born of abidance in it.

But it is not Kept still - it is not and cannot be an effort of keeping still - this would not be stillness - it would be tension / grasping / holding.

The major changes are clearly felt - and one does not know when each step will take place.

Some processes are in progress, some have reached very specific energetic changes and these are clearly felt. 

Prior to most of the mentioned transmutations the energies will become even more apparent than would already be the case.

These energies would be very apparent generally and at all times but mounting in various ways at times.

神自靈- It seems for me that this 神 means 元神.

If translate 意不动,神自灵 into modern Chinese, I would say,如果意完全不动,你的元神自然出现灵性。

12 hours ago, Old Student said:

From the Encyclopedia of Taoism (Robinet, translated by Predagio):

For reference. The phrase does not show up in the diagram in question.

it  doesn't have to be a phrase or a record - you can just call up http://springforestqigong.com to try out a phone healing to experience the Yuan Qi directly. His former assistant http://guidingqi.com also does the Yuan Qi healings. They don't like the term "transmission" and I don't know what Chunyi Lin thinks about the term dianhua. So just because they call it a "healing" - don't let that stop you either.

Edited by voidisyinyang

12 hours ago, Shubin said:

如果意完全不动,你的元神自然出现灵性。

The three changes all seem to parallel each other, and it would be hard to construct e.g. "身不動,精自固“ this way, as something already there that just manifested itself, no?

Many things in this have happenings at the same time but the specific changes mentioned are not happening in parallel.

6 hours ago, Spotless said:

Many things in this have happenings at the same time but the specific changes mentioned are not happening in parallel.

I had meant parallel language construction, not happening in parallel.  Sorry for the bad sentence construction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Student said:

The three changes all seem to parallel each other, and it would be hard to construct e.g. "身不動,精自固“ this way, as something already there that just manifested itself, no?

For me, the three changes are not parallel, and so far I was able to 身不動 for about 30 minutes or less, so my 精 is not 固. 

Edited by Shubin
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this