Yonkon

I feel stuck, purposeless and confused

It think Aikido would do you wonders !  The right school that is . It can teach you a LOT about 'holding your centre' and the sphere around you and how others influence it and can penetrate it and then what you do about  those that come into your 'sphere of interaction' .

It is flowing and like water, like you said.. irs non violent and class is non conflictual and not competitive.  Teach you how to 'roll with it'.

It might just be me, or it might be aikido, but I found after a few years training that its  good principles began to surface in other parts and aspects of my life  - a good investment of time and energy !

Be great for your GF too - builds confidence and centre  and helps to find internal strength.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Yonkon said:

I want to do martial arts since i was a little boy, i think the time has finally come. Here is whats possible for me based on my location:  

• Judo
  • Ju-Jutsu
  • Brasilian Ju-Jutsu
  • Tai Jitsu
  • Karate
  • Kung-Fu
  • Wing Chun
  • Qi-Qong
  • Aikido
  • Taekwondo
  • Fencing

This is pretty overwhelming. What would be the most "good" one? And is there another style that isn't on the list but is still worth checking out?

As @Fa Xin mentioned, a teacher is going to be a big factor.

I would absolutely advocate Brazilian Ju Jitsu and because it's such a tight-family martial art, there is a good chance your teacher will be legit. It's grappling but also flowy (and I find it to be very effective)

I don't see tai chi on the list, but qigong is good for your internal health. With tai chi and qigong, you want something from one of the major lineages, Yang, Chen, Wu, Hao or Sun. Avoid something that just has "tai chi" on the banner with no speak of lineage!

17 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I'd recommend Bagua Circle Walking or Aikido.

13 hours ago, Nungali said:

It think Aikido would do you wonders !  The right school that is . It can teach you a LOT about 'holding your centre' and the sphere around you and how others influence it and can penetrate it and then what you do about  those that come into your 'sphere of interaction' 

Aikido sounds great! Will check it out. Maybe i try out Qui Qong/Tai Chi as well. 

• Like 1

The Thread is dying so i wanted to thank you to all who contributed so far, you guys really helped me out :) Have a nice one

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Yonkon said:

The Thread is dying so i wanted to thank you to all who contributed so far, you guys really helped me out :) Have a nice one

and I'll bet that's the very last time you put a personal question out to the Bums.  :lol:  So many ideas from so many wiseacres, myself included.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, moment said:

Qigong and Taichi together is the ultimate, especially for the needs you have laid out here.  Tai chi practitioners are called players, because part of the practice involves a certain type of joy.  Joy is something that you may presently be a little confused about at this moment in time.  Be well.

Now i'm intrigued. When i could only start with only one and add the second later, with wich practices should i beginn? 

6 hours ago, Yonkon said:

Now i'm intrigued. When i could only start with only one and add the second later, with wich practices should i beginn? 

Whichever one has the best teacher for you  and is most available to you.  Many Qigong and Tai Chi teahers do both.  Talk to them and make a decision. 

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Hello Yonkon,

About the blandness of life and the purpose issues...

I think the key here is finding an activity where you lose track of time. While you are bored, time slows down. While you are doing something you enjoy, something that engages you fully, time speeds up. This activity may or may not be martial arts/meditation.

You mentioned giving piano lessons. Maybe you lose track of time while you play the piano?

I find that great pleasure can be experienced from simple activities. For me, cooking helps a lot. Chopping, seasoning and heating things up helps me relieve stress. I can get creative and try new things while cooking. And if the outcome is successful, a well - prepared meal is satisfying for me in many ways. If it is a failure, I have gained experience and I will do a better job next time I cook ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MuadDib said:

I think the key here is finding an activity where you lose track of time. While you are bored, time slows down. While you are doing something you enjoy, something that engages you fully, time speeds up. This activity may or may not be martial arts/meditation.

You mentioned giving piano lessons. Maybe you lose track of time while you play the piano?

To be honest I already got that, i'm a music fanatic and love writing songs and producing music. But lately the purpose of all behind is lacking. Sure it feels nice and is fun, but sometimes it feels kind of meaningless. Sometimes i think it's even something like masturbation, i just do it to pleasure myself. Of course there is nothing wrong with that per se, but i want to create music with a real purpose. To really help people and give something back.. So i want to slowly make a shift to contribution, away from soley self pleasure. And it's kind of hard and scary because my sense of meaning and purpose is radically shifting...  but it seems to me that this is the path i have to walk.. :) I will figure it out.  

• Like 2