MuadDib

Gut Bacteria and "I"

My sister turned me on to a breakfast of 1/3 cup (total) of - 3/4 oat bran, 1/4 ground flax meal, add in- heaping teaspoon of almond (or peanut) butter, half banana, (handful of blue berries if around).  Then about 3 - 1/3 cups of water, nuke for 50 seconds, then nuke on half power another 50 seconds (or heat in pan 5 to 10 minutes).  Looks like mush but pretty tasty. 

Eating it most days of the week really makes a difference in my gut health.  

Fast prep, lots of fiber, good proteins, micro-nutrients, decent fats, some fruit and not very high in carbs.  High fiber slows down the carb hit.  Tasty and satisfying.  Probably my healthiest meal of the day. 

I'm a fan of Kombucha too, but not every day, maybe a few times a week.   

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

When people talk of fibre, I have no idea what they are talking about !!!!
Low fat too ... strange obsession society has with things.

Don't do microwaves myself.

Anyway I do the porridge of champions, banana, pear, goji, hazlenuts, flax mix, Dr Udos Green magic powder, ACV, Cardamon or Nutmeg, with a topping of coconut kefir.

I eat only 2 times a day so this is big.

fiber is filling and tends to be a pre-biotic that Dawei mentioned that feeds the probiotics.  It also leads to better uh, throughput of food through the system. It also slows the sugar/carb hit that otherwise spike insulin levels.   In the past it was ignored, people eating mostly processed food (the West) tend to get very little, but its increasingly becoming an important part of a healthy diet. 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, MuadDib said:

@voidisyinyang  you sure sound like you take the act of taking a crap very seriously. I do, too; most of the time it is the highlight of my day, sometimes I have two highlights :lol:

I recently read about spirulina. I try to get my nutrients from regular food and I don't take any supplements. So, I never tried spirulina. However, I suggested a friend who consume protein shakes to try spirulina as a healthier alternative.

I realize spirulina is MARKETED IN THE WEST as a supplement but let's not confuse marketing with reality shall we? It's a big world out there.

In Africa Spirulina is eaten as a staple food. Spirulina was also a staple food in Mexico.

People are claiming here the taste is bad - well I guess that is subjective. A lot of kids thinks green veggies taste bag, no matter what.

Spirulina turns my eyes dark green - as they are normally hazel. I consider that to be a very good sign. Also spirulina gives me psychedelic dreams. Turns out that Spirulina is a natural MAOI.

Spirulina is definitely NOT a supplement if you can grow your own or are from a culture that harvests spirulina in the wild.

Certainly the stuff is too expensive to eat on more than a supplement level otherwise.

But I am growing Shiitake mushrooms - normally they would be considered too expensive also. I will probably go spirulina also. Just use "stock tanks" from the farm store - like I do to soak the mushroom logs.  http://www.thenewhumanitarian.org/news/2010/06/30/highly-nutritious-green-cakes-could-save-lives

Donors hope spirulina, a blue-green, protein-packed algae, labelled a "wonderful future food source" 45 years ago by the International Association of Microbiology, will deliver on its promise by the time a US$1.7 million cultivation project in Chad, funded by the European Union (EU), ends in December 2010.

"It's as close as we will get to a miracle food," said Mahamat Sorto, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) officer managing the project. Aid agencies see the plant as a possible cheap solution to global malnutrition.

http://elixirfield.blogspot.com for my Shiitake mushroom forest cultivation updates thanks - new photos posted in a 5 part series

• Like 4

This article came up in my feed today. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said the best way to get your bacteria it's from your environment, not supplementing with probiotics.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/an-organism-found-in-dirt-may-lead-to-an-anxiety-vaccine-say-scientists

The best thing we can do is to eat lots of fresh vegetables (fiber) grown in our own gardens. Eating a little bit of dirt (soil based bacteria) is good for you (as long as it doesn't have something like E. Coli in it, make sure the manure fertilizer is fully composted).

• Like 3

Milk kefir is the bomb. The stuff is legendary in the parts of the world where it began.

My kefir (Barney, I named it) and I are in love with each other.

I'm shifting my eating plan/schedule a little and I think I'm going to start making a protein drink using kefir, protein powder, some supplements I want to take that are powders, and possibly cocoa and glycine (which works oddly well for sweetening cocoa).

I haven't had as much recently because I was reinducting to keto and some 72h fasts, and the carb count on kefir is too iffy-wonky to be sure about. Never hurt me on keto but I try to make any restart period as close to ZC as possible.

But it greatly improved my health, including the sense that it somehow 'filled in some nutrient-deficiency blanks' that existed and I didn't really know about until I sensed they were being taken care of now. Obviously a very subtle subjective feeling.

RC

• Like 3

I recently went on vacation to a place known for its good quality honey and related products. I bought some bee - pollen along with my usual thyme honey. Apparently, when bees fly around from flower to flower drawing nectar, they also collect pollen and squeeze it into a ball using their hind legs. This stuff supposedly contains a wide spectrum of amino acids and also packed with vitamins. The smell and taste did not agree with me though. I mix a teaspoon either into my milk kefir or my plain yogurt. It kind of melts in it and becomes much easier to consume for me. I've been doing this for two weeks and I notice some mild benefits. I find a glass of bee pollen milk kefir very rejuvenating.

• Like 3

Sounds good MuadDib. I used to eat this "propolis" that came with a raw honey I was fond of. It's a weird stuff but my body liked it.

The last honey I tried when off keto temporarily was a raw asian honey/pollen/propalis blend that kinda reminded me of this honey-butter emulsified stuff my dad used to eat -- very thick, likely centrifuged -- eye-rollingly dreamy. I bet honey's great in kefir, but I've never tried it. Great idea.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 8:03 PM, Dynasty said:

Is spirulina really something we want to consider a food? I've had it. It's pretty gross.  But I can say that I do prefer Kale to spirulina, but I also do not consider kale fit for human consumption. 

There are other green foods such as broccoli that taste good. 

Taste is a matter of perception. A level of mindset. I prefer kale 🥬 over broccoli 🥦 but I will eat them both. I am not a slave to cheeseburger 🍔 gut bacteria 🦠 though Lama Lena says gut bacteria may carry their own unique karma with them and thus onto us.

The brain-gut connection is very much benefitted by kefir. Balancing pH and reducing the potency of harmful bacteria in the body, it produces a more streamlined form of digestion. 

A trick is to mix or consume with lard. The fat in lard creates a more soluble environment in the lower intestine, enabling maximum absoprtion of the vitamins and minerals in kefir (of particular note are vitamin A, D, phosphorus, riboflavin and magnesium). Vitamin A & D are fat soluble, and so are more easily abosorbed and assimilated by the presence of lard in the body. 

My favourite brand: 

479178011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=bd5abe9eca9cfa0ab69a0682880def8f

Edit: In addition, the potassium content of kefir is beneficial for joints, rheumatoid arthritis and balancing the level of sodium in the body primarily consumed from salt.

Edited by Draco