MuadDib

Gut Bacteria and "I"

I had a simple but profound realization a couple of days ago and I would like to share it. Some preliminary info first...

As many of you probably know, modern science has acknowledged our gut as the "second brain." The number of microorganisms that live inside our gut is estimated to be greater than the "human cells" with our DNA. I am too lazy to find links, but I once read that scientists took a bio-sample from the gut of an aggressive/daring mouse and injected it into the gut of a shy mouse. A while later, the shy mouse began exhibiting aggressive behavior. This experiment hinted that our gut flora is in charge of much more than digestion. Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me... 

I never drank kefir for my first 30+ years and naturally didn't know what it tasted like. A few years ago, as part of switching to a healthier lifestyle, I took my first sip of kefir. It had somewhat pungent taste and smell. I did not particularly enjoy the drink; I cannot say I hated it; I had a mild dislike of it. Anyways, I stuck with it and consumed one liter of kefir per week. In a few weeks' time, I realized that I did not dislike it any more. A few more weeks of regular consumption, and I began to enjoy it. After two years of regular consumption, I now ABSOLUTELY LOVE kefir. I do not drink it for health reasons any more, I drink it because I enjoy it very much.

The other day, it occurred to me that it wasn't "I" who liked drinking kefir. It was the kefir - loving bacteria that I introduced into my gut who was responsible for this. I am no biochemist, but I am guessing that as I kept drinking the stuff, kefir loving bugs proliferated in my gut. At some point, they became large enough in numbers to release chemicals which made my brain "happy" whenever I consumed the stuff. I believe this experiment is replicable, I invite anyone interested to give it a try. Just pick a food you dislike and regularly consume it. See how you feel about it after a few weeks.

The realization that it wasn't "I" who liked kefir was very profound for me. What about other thoughts and behavior I have? How much of it comes from "me" and how much from external sources. The teachings about not identifying with thoughts make more sense now :rolleyes:

• Like 9

I really enjoy the way you think!

I always try to drink something with cultures in it once a day... apple cider vinegar, puerh tea, kombucha. I do feel better when I do. 

Now I realize I am just a slave to the gut bacteria. Oh well, it’s a symbiotic relationship... as long as they keep up their part of the bargain. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MuadDib said:

I had a simple but profound realization a couple of days ago and I would like to share it. Some preliminary info first...

As many of you probably know, modern science has acknowledged our gut as the "second brain." The number of microorganisms that live inside our gut is estimated to be greater than the "human cells" with our DNA. I am too lazy to find

It's also proven that before a person takes a crap the person has MORE anaerobic gut bacteria in their body than human cells.

The number of microorganisms that live inside our gut is estimated to be greater than the "human cells" with our DNA.

So then after the crap then the number of anaerobic bacteria cells are less than the number of human cells.

But when you say DNA - I think the interesting question is mitochondrial DNA being more numerous than our cell-line gamete DNA.

So when we eat food - like if we eat Spirulina that is the oldest food on the planet. So the spirulina directly powers our mitochondria. The mitochondria run on a "proton" pump. The proton is the yang qi energy. The spirulina gets its power from stored up biophoton energy - hence it's blue-green name. the Cyanin pigment has stored biophoton energy then is a SHEN transmission into the mitochondria DNA as ancient life on Earth powering our human cells.

Anti-cancer effects of blue-green alga Spirulina ... - Semantic Scholar

by R Konícková - ‎Cited by 76 - ‎Related articles
peutics on mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and ... resembling biliverdin, an antioxidant bile pigment. <. < ..... cyanin (0.2 µM, 20 h incu-.
by S Rodríguez-Salgueiro - ‎2017 - ‎Related articles
Mar 9, 2017 - properties of Spirulina sp. and its pigment. C-phycocyanin, in this review ..... cyanin has also been tried to prevent diabetic nephropa- thy (Table 2) (79,80). .... mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress. Mol Cell. Biochem.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2019 at 8:19 AM, voidisyinyang said:

So when we eat food - like if we eat Spirulina

Is spirulina really something we want to consider a food? I've had it. It's pretty gross.  But I can say that I do prefer Kale to spirulina, but I also do not consider kale fit for human consumption. 

There are other green foods such as broccoli that taste good. 

• Like 1

Was this milk kefir or water kefir?

I experimented with milk kefir a long time ago. I got some benefit, but it seemed to aggravate an underlying auto immune condition that milk in general doesn't. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:58 PM, Fa Xin said:

I always try to drink something with cultures in it once a day... apple cider vinegar, puerh tea,

What time of day did you regularly do the ACV ? 

puerh tea... get some green tea instead. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Is spirulina really something we want to consider a food? I've had it. It's pretty gross.  But I can say that I do prefer Kale to spirulina, but I also do not consider kale fit for human consumption. 

There are other green foods such as broccoli that taste good. 

Good question... seems it is a food substance thingy but I'd treat it more as a supplement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dawei said:

What time of day did you regularly do the ACV ? 

puerh tea... get some green tea instead. ;)

ACV I usually do mine mid morning or mid afternoon. I just make sure it’s spaced out from food. Also I add water and honey and cinnamon to mine, I can’t drink it straight, not good for throat or teeth.  😊

I like my tea dirty... right above “compost”  :) I believe oolong has active cultures too but not like the puerh. 

14 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

I also do not consider kale fit for human consumption. 

:D:D:D

I like spinach the best! And bok choy 

• Like 1

Just now, Fa Xin said:

ACV I usually do mine mid morning or mid afternoon. I just make sure it’s spaced out from food. Also I add water and honey and cinnamon to mine, I can’t drink it straight, not good for throat or teeth.  😊

I like my tea dirty... right above “compost”  :) I believe oolong has active cultures too but not like the puerh. 

Why not first thing on an empty stomach?   Any aversion ?

Sure I get adding something for taste.

Where is it documented that straight is not good for throat or teeth?  But I can grasp the thought.

ACV has a rich history and put in bath water or to feed cows is quite a story.

I do this:  ACV, garlic, and spicy pepper on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.   in a hot brew.   yes, just image it :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

:D:D:D

I like spinach the best! And bok choy 

The nice thing about spinach is you can eat it raw... but is best cooked with garlic.   I shoveled down a few raw today.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

JMO... green and jasmine are better teas.  

• Like 1

As this is a thread about Gut bacteria... why not talk prebiotics vs probiotics ? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dawei said:

Why not first thing on an empty stomach?   Any aversion ?

Sure I get adding something for taste.

Where is it documented that straight is not good for throat or teeth?  But I can grasp the thought.

ACV has a rich history and put in bath water or to feed cows is quite a story.

I do this:  ACV, garlic, and spicy pepper on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.   in a hot brew.   yes, just image it :P

Ohhhh. FIRE CIDER!  I've had that before... Really good for immunity but too spicy for me :P

Yes, the acetic acid in ACV is known to cause esophageal burns, and the esophagus is, how shall we say - temperamental?  Easy to damage. As far as teeth... ever put a chicken bone in ACV?  It becomes brittle after a time.  I'll usually rinse my mouth out with water to get the acid off, if I drink it straight.   On that note... it's *excellent* if you have indigestion.  Immediate relief, and works to actually help speed up the digestion process, rather than Tums just stopping the process.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, dawei said:

As this is a thread about Gut bacteria... why not talk prebiotics vs probiotics ? 

Yes! I actually believe that prebiotics are more beneficial. But, there can be a problem with them. I am sensitive to certain FODMAP containing foods. A lot of things that are very healthy that I used to love to eat give me IBSD. I think somehow my gut bacteria got out of whack. 

Probiotics leave your system soon after you stop taking them and you are back where you started. I think your gut bacteria it's more determined by your day-to-day environmental exposure.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:58 AM, Fa Xin said:

I always try to drink something with cultures in it once a day... apple cider vinegar, puerh tea, kombucha. I do feel better when I do. 

I like my vinegar on a salad, lots of it and with lots of lemon juice and some pomegranate.

My favorite vinegar is balsamic followed by apple cider vinegar. If I am at home, I drink the leftover juices that accumulate at the bottom of the salad bowl with great pleasure :D

• Like 2

@voidisyinyang  you sure sound like you take the act of taking a crap very seriously. I do, too; most of the time it is the highlight of my day, sometimes I have two highlights :lol:

I recently read about spirulina. I try to get my nutrients from regular food and I don't take any supplements. So, I never tried spirulina. However, I suggested a friend who consume protein shakes to try spirulina as a healthier alternative.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Was this milk kefir or water kefir?

I experimented with milk kefir a long time ago. I got some benefit, but it seemed to aggravate an underlying auto immune condition that milk in general doesn't. 

It was milk kefir. I cannot drink milk. Even a little amount of milk causes gas problems; if I drink a large amount of milk I am certain to get diarrhea. I do consume yogurt and cheese though. I LOVE thick plain yogurt and I eat at least 3 kilograms per week. I know it is way too much, but it's one of my addictions. Probably acting as a slave to the yogurt loving bacteria in my gut...

11 minutes ago, MuadDib said:

I recently read about spirulina. I try to get my nutrients from regular food and I don't take any supplements. So, I never tried spirulina. However, I suggested a friend who consume protein shakes to try spirulina as a healthier alternative.

I recently bought some as I was researching an health issue.  I decided to buy some.  Long list of benefits claimed:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-spirulina#section5

• Like 2

Just started trying mastic gum, about 250mg of powder in water before meals.

If it works it's a good long term solution, very benign substance.

Milk kefir is strong and has too many things active within it, the coconut water kefir much better imo.

Too much is not a good thing.

Same with the vinegar, a little bit is okay.

I have been through the mill trying extreme solutions, but ... ultimately only your body can be healthy, you need to help your body be health rather than replace how it works.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, and would like to hear if someone else heard this... a really cheap substitute to help the gut is to speckle dry active yeast on your breakfast meal.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rideforever said:

Milk kefir is strong and has too many things active within it, the coconut water kefir much better imo.

Too much is not a good thing.

During the Great Recession, there was a period of around 4 or 5 months in which I was not fully employed and only had partial employment of maybe 6-16 hours a week of paid work on average. 

Everyday I had a fairly strict routine.  Among other things this included drinking three 8 oz glasses of water kefir a day, and taking a nap around 2:30. 

It was a combination of factors, notably minimal stress from not working full time, naps, and what I believe the water kefir that took probably 15 years off of my face.  I still smoked at this time.  I went to the 7-11 to pick up a pack of Camel Lights and the Indian guy asked me for my ID. When he saw my DOB he asked me, "What are you some kind of Dick Clark?"

Anyhow, I started full employment again and didn't have the free time to maintain a 24 oz habit of kefir water/day. Within a year the age slowly returned to my face. 

• Like 2