Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

Seems Ironic

In one of the more stunning examples of ironic willful ignorance and self-blindered cognitive dissonance.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal..."

Written by men who owned other people as property.

• Like 1

Slavery and the phrase
The contradiction between the claim that "all men are created equal" and the existence of American slavery attracted comment when the Declaration of Independence was first published. Before final approval, Congress, having made a few alterations to some of the wording, also deleted nearly a fourth of the draft, including a passage criticizing the slave trade. At that time many members of Congress, including Jefferson, owned slaves, which clearly factored into their decision to delete the controversial "anti-slavery" passage. Jefferson, an abolitionist at heart, believed adding such a passage would dissolve the independence movement. Jefferson, decades before the Declaration of Independence, argued in court for the abolition of a slave. The court dismissed the case outright. In writing the declaration, Jefferson believed the phrase "all men are created equal" to be self-evident, and would ultimately resolve slavery. [18] In 1776, abolitionist Thomas Day wrote:

If there be an object truly ridiculous in nature, it is an American patriot, signing resolutions of independency with the one hand, and with the other brandishing a whip over his affrighted slaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_men_are_created_equal

• Thanks 1

@joeblast I had never heard of Marvin Heermeyer before your post. Obviously I am not privy to all the details and opposing opinions but I really feel for him and am truly sorry that he took his own life.

I strongly suspect that the run up to this affair could have been better handled by the city authorities.

39 minutes ago, rocala said:

@joeblast I had never heard of Marvin Heermeyer before your post. Obviously I am not privy to all the details and opposing opinions but I really feel for him and am truly sorry that he took his own life.

I strongly suspect that the run up to this affair could have been better handled by the city authorities.

sadly, such things happen far more often than you think.

well...except for the bulldozer part...

5 hours ago, theNERD said:

hey guys how do you delete your account on daobums. im tired and too hungry to do this anymore

Stop posting  :)

Sign in to follow this