Sign in to follow this  
mwight

Off Topic: Mint Linux 4.0 IS AMAZING!

I don't know if there are any other geeks out there. Everyone knows how insecure windows is, viruses, spyware, government back doors (yes its true). It is a cess pit, and I don't trust it to do online banking etc.

So I switched to linux a long time ago. Ubuntu has been my favorite brand, until now. Mint is based off of ubuntu, but has all the nifty things which ubuntu cannot include do to ethical/legal reasons. All the things like Flash, adobe PDF, Java, Mp3/divx/Quicktime/Real support, etc... etc.. etc..

it is gorgeous, and quicker than XP, also it runs tons of windows software using an emulator:

ElderScolls4 Oblivion, Diablo2, Everquest, World Of Warcraft, Lots of FPS too.

Each year it keeps getting better.

Give it a shot sometime if your bored! Message me for support if you need it!!!

http://www.linuxmint.com/

When I read recently that Google was putting development hours into Wine, and that Photoshop under Linux would run more smoothly, my ears perked up a little. I typically have a Linux box in the house but could never make the full switch because, as a web designer I absolutely need Photoshop and Dreamweaver to work without a hitch. And Evernote. And MediaMonkey. And I'd need to find a replacement for Launchy. :)

Sean

When I read recently that Google was putting development hours into Wine, and that Photoshop under Linux would run more smoothly, my ears perked up a little. I typically have a Linux box in the house but could never make the full switch because, as a web designer I absolutely need Photoshop and Dreamweaver to work without a hitch. And Evernote. And MediaMonkey. And I'd need to find a replacement for Launchy. :)

Sean

Yes in 2-3 years all windows programs will work in wine I think. They have made tremendous leaps in the past year. I only keep a windows drive for some games.

Wine 0.9.55 should do photoshop and dreamweaver cs3 out of the box.

I am not sure about mediamonkey, but the rest should work, according to winehq appdb

Give mint a spin, install the new wine, and amarok and see if you still need media monkey

Edited by mwight

Same problem here. I would go full Linux if I didn't have all the graphics/music programs that run on Windows. My Windows set up is pretty good with Threatfire, Antivir, a software firewall and a router, so haven't had any problems in ages.

Sign in to follow this