Sign in to follow this  
Wyrdone

back to basics again

Hello dao bums,

I have been lurking a bit, mostly because I find a relevant post after digging a few pages through search engine results and I am tired of linking through a few posts and finding a have to be a member to see it. I also have wanted to ask questions a few times.

I practiced a few years at qigong, taiji, and my teacher sneakily taught me to meditate disguising them as breathing exercises. Then I joined the navy, that was a mixed bag, I learned the skills to work in a good profession but my practice dropped to practically nothing, very sporadic. I got out and after a year or so of limited physical activity and a cessation of practice I was a very sad panda indeed.

When thinking about my mental state, my body just not feeling right, and a few other things, I realized I needed to pick up meditation again,so I did, committing to just 8 breaths every day, It usually ended going longer but 8 breaths does not make a difference when your late to a meeting, so I stuck to that commitment. I tried to jump into being physically active again only to find out I had lost the mobility to do burpees, deep squatting and the like, so I figured just brocades, maybe even as little as one round of "taiji qigong", which were taught as warming up exercises for taiji class. After a while I was picking up my old reference material, picking up new ones here and there. Then the books I had just were not enough, I needed clarifications. Sometimes reading through multiple books would reveal an answer but could also point out just how muddy the waters are.

My old teacher, who is no longer corporeal , was a student of Jou, Tsung Hwa. I hope I can find a few of his fellow students. I am currently taking online classes from one of them ,but some times a video lesson lacks...something. 

I also travel quite frequently for work, mostly in the western side of the USA. How do people feel about one or two time drop-ins? Especially one looking for just a little feedback, but open to new paths? 

P.s. Wyrd can be be pronounced weird or wired, I can be either or both, I also work on low voltage electrical distribution equipment so I can make things wired as well.

Edited by Wyrdone
Added to, some grammar and spelling fixes
  • Like 4

Hello, Wyrdone, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Wyrdone,

Welcome (back to the practice).  Life gets in the way, but it's good to know the Tai chi and qigong is there when you need it, for whatever reason.  I also find many books hard to understand, but things like YouTube and forums I've found are very helpful to bridge the gap between teachings and our understandings.  Enjoy :)

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Sign in to follow this