matthewmerlin

New Here - Looking for a Teacher

Hello everyone! This is my first time ever posting on an online forum : ) I tried to see if something like this had been posted somewhere else but I couldn't find anything recent. 

I came to this site because I have been trying to find a teacher in the Mo Pai school of Nei Gong, or something very similar. Like probably all of you I've seen that famous old documentary video of John Chang working wonders with his Qi. I read "the magus of java" as well.  And again like probably all of you, I've desired that kind of spiritual aptitude/adeptness for a very long time. 

I started researching the mo pai levels and trying to find information on practice, but I find info that is either untrustworthy or comes from a teacher I know nothing about. And even if the practices in a book are correct...well, i've been at the spiritual practice game long enough to know that having a teacher is crucial for these things to work right and come alive in the right way. Besides, anyone who's truly been practicing these things knows that they can be dangerous without proper guidance. 

I want a flesh and blood teacher who can teach me up to "level 4" in this system, or again something very similar to it. I'm at the point in my life where I can afford to travel to study with a true teacher, and I can think of no better use of my time and finances. Even if John Chang no longer accepts students, surely some of his students do, or his students' students. 

These types of practices - manifestation and influencing the world through one's own inner energy, are very close to my heart. I was especially moved by John Chang's ability to heal with this power. I've read of such things in the yogic and tantric traditions,  but no one ever discusses techniques to make it happen. 

A little bit about my spiritual background. I've studied and practiced meditation in the soto zen, tibetan buddhist, and kashmiri shaivism styles. Currently I am very invested in the meditation and energetic practices of kashmiri tantra. I participate in an active native american sweat lodge community, and I've practiced hatha yoga for many years, as well as greek hermeticism. 

Although I've practiced qigong and studied chinese medicine and daoism, it's admittedly been more of a backburner thing until several months ago.In terms of martial arts, I did TKD for a while as a kid, but haven't followed up much. Several months ago I began doing Bagua in the Ma Gui lineage. My teacher's just had me doing circle walking and palm changes - less martial stuff for now as the tendon changing just starts out.

But this Mo Pai and Nei Gong stuff feels like what I've been looking for all along. You know the feeling. 

For work, I ply my living as a classical astrologer. I majored in philosophy and am a huge ancient language nerd.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. 

TL;DR Do you know of any authentic teachers of Mo Pai Nei Gong or something similar who are currently accepting students?

• Like 1

Hello, matthewmerlin, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome matthew,

Quite the impressive list of background practices. There’s a few people on here that do Kashmir shaivism. Not sure about legit Mo Pai... but we do have neigong people. I wish you luck on your search. Enjoy the forum!

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 1

Thank you Fa Xin! I wanted to give people a little background to warrant asking about this topic, but I also wanted to make explicit that I have less experience with the Chinese side of things, having more of a background in Indian traditions. I look forward to discussing the overlap between daoist practice and Shaivism - it will be fun to see how other people incorporate each and practice both. 

• Like 2

Hi Matthewm,

Use the search function, you'll find many Mo Pai threads, the good, the bad, the ugly and the hidden.  Being a closed system to Westerners there is controversy on who can teach and authenticity, safety etc..   Good luck with your search. 

The author of the book Magus of Java, Kostas gave an interview here.  You may want to start there-

You can find the interview at the end of the thread.  He's seems to be a well balanced individual.  Some who are attracted to esoteric arts just to gain 'powers', not so much.   (imo) Without equanimity, self control and self knowledge, the more power, the more wobble and imbalance in mental & physical systems.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, matthewmerlin said:

I've seen that famous old documentary video of John Chang working wonders with his Qi.

Working wonders with Carbon Disulfide and Phosphorus and low watt LED bulbs, plus maybe "Electric Man" trick from ordinary joke shop.

That is a video of a street performer doing tricks.

Professional Magician and debunking videos online show that kind of stage magic - how to do, etc.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, matthewmerlin said:

Thank you Fa Xin! I wanted to give people a little background to warrant asking about this topic, but I also wanted to make explicit that I have less experience with the Chinese side of things, having more of a background in Indian traditions. I look forward to discussing the overlap between daoist practice and Shaivism - it will be fun to see how other people incorporate each and practice both. 

Looking forward to learning about your KS practices/experiences.

• Like 1