Sign in to follow this  
Ant

TCM, Qigong and Trauma

I'm interested in how trauma is viewed from the TCM paradigm. I understand that the diagnostic procedures of TCM are very intricate, and reliable at painting a picture of a patients imbalances. I've personally experienced the immense healing power of TCM in treating health conditions. But can TCM address deeply held trauma, and free patients from the neurosis and suffering it brings? Are there Qigong healers that can do so? I have heard some teachers talk about trauma release through Qigong, but for people suffering from severe mental illness, putting in the hours of practice to eventually reach these deep states where such transformation could be possible, is simply not realistic. I am focused on this right now as I have a friend who is in a dire state of mental illness, and seems to be "slipping through the cracks" of the health system, and is also severely lacking in family support. Any responses are much appreciated.. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:48 PM, Ant said:

I'm interested in how trauma is viewed from the TCM paradigm. I understand that the diagnostic procedures of TCM are very intricate, and reliable at painting a picture of a patients imbalances. I've personally experienced the immense healing power of TCM in treating health conditions. But can TCM address deeply held trauma, and free patients from the neurosis and suffering it brings? Are there Qigong healers that can do so? I have heard some teachers talk about trauma release through Qigong, but for people suffering from severe mental illness, putting in the hours of practice to eventually reach these deep states where such transformation could be possible, is simply not realistic. I am focused on this right now as I have a friend who is in a dire state of mental illness, and seems to be "slipping through the cracks" of the health system, and is also severely lacking in family support. Any responses are much appreciated.. 

Yes, TCM can deal with trauma. In fact its the primary means that I now use to deal with past trauma in both myself and my patients. 

I found that due to the fact that I have had a lot of trauma in my life that meditation was much to volatile for me to do as it would dig up to much trauma. This being the case I have now primarily turned to TCM, and it has been much more successful for me than meditation ever was. 

There are a few TCM terms that can be used to relate to trauma but the main one I would use is "phlegm". The "phlegm" is of the "invisible" variety but make not mistake usually people that have had a lot of trauma, especially childhood trauma have lots of knots of "phlegm" that can be felt under the skin. This idea is to deal with this phlegm naturally and safely.   

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this