Aetherous

Omniscience. Game of Thrones.

18 hours ago, alfheim said:

Her being a faceless man or not doesn't change things. She was trained as faceless and got her face swap skill from them. From whom did she get the silent sneaking skill? Why even spend so much time to build up the whole faceless story when she doesn't use it in the end?

I was wondering that too... and my son was really pissed that the creatures could hear her blood drop while she was hiding but they couldn't sense her sneaking up.... and don't get him started on the knife drop he first used against Brienne.   

15 hours ago, ilumairen said:

The "face" she wore would have been entirely inconsequential to the Night King, and to bring it into play would have been pointless. 

I think I read in an interview, she really wanted to kill Cersi... maybe using a face thing.  Like pulls off a Mask of Jaime... but doesn't she realize she is a lot shorter :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, manitou said:

She kind of ripped them off, IMO.  Yes, she retained her identity but got all the goodies.  That's why I think an Arya spinoff would be terrific.  So many different possibilities with the faces.  Maybe I just want to see a little female empowerment.

They already shut down that idea... so go see Captain Marvel ;)

On 5/15/2019 at 8:19 AM, Starjumper said:

The volunteer used my brick coffee table, by the front door, to scrape the mud off his boots and just left the mud there to dry, I couldn't believe it.  That's like a damn slap in the face, so I'm wishing he leaves real soon, and sometimes my wishes come true =)

Just a lite follow up here.  The wife says "aww, he's just a boy, go easy on him".  He's just a boy? at 24 yrs old?  Well I guess.  This was his first time away from civilization and people and he used his two weeks well to go into solitude, meditate a lot, and write music.

Most aren't able to make the switch to solitude, maybe he did because we installed wifi.  We started the volunteer experience on Wwoofers and all the volunteers were like 18 year old girls who never left their mommy before, and it looked like some of them never walked on dirt before either.

• Like 1

I haven't read this whole thread.  SJ, can you please tell me what all the volunteers are volunteering for? :lol:  My mind is running rampant with possibility.

19 hours ago, ilumairen said:

The "face" she wore would have been entirely inconsequential to the Night King, and to bring it into play would have been pointless. 

It's not so much about the Night King himself but him being surrounded with wights + his commander and her running past all of them.

18 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Why does a plotline have to be so predictable? She got experience sneaking and killing...it fits. Would it have actually been more enjoyable to see her wear a zombie or white walker face?

There is a good kind of having unpredictable plotlines and a bad one. The good one is where afterwards the viewer will say "oh yes all the hints were there all along".
Building up a character for 7 seasons to shove in two or three episodes before the big moment a "oh by the way this person is also totally sneaky. We didn't go into this during her training or past but she totally is now." Isn't the good kind.

18 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Would there even be time for her to prepare the face, in this context?

No reason to show her preparing the face. And even if they had to there were enough scenes with her doing a bad job trying to sneak past a couple normal zombies in the castle.
If they didn't want to use the face swap technique why not at least have the Night King busy fighting Jon or someone else and let her do the killing blow or let bran help with his warging skill and kill the Night King as a team. At least it would have been in the spirit of Neds quote how the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. But nope Arya does the kill as the lone wolf.

Edited by alfheim

55 minutes ago, alfheim said:

There is a good kind of having unpredictable plotlines and a bad one.

Her being a sneaky killer really isn't something out of the blue. I'm not on the whole criticism bandwagon with this show, but respect that you don't like how it went.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfheim said:

It's not so much about the Night King himself but him being surrounded with wights + his commander and her running past all of them.

This isn't what I got out of it, but I'll rewatch and consider. 

There is a good kind of having unpredictable plotlines and a bad one. The good one is where afterwards the viewer will say "oh yes all the hints were there all along".
Building up a character for 7 seasons to shove in two or three episodes before the big moment a "oh by the way this person is also totally sneaky. We didn't go into this during her training or past but she totally is now." Isn't the good kind.

She was sneaky though. Remember her hiding in the dragon skulls? 

No reason to show her preparing the face. And even if they had to there were enough scenes with her doing a bad job trying to sneak past a couple normal zombies in the castle.

I thought she did a pretty good job. I woulda been toast - no matter how lightly I can step. 

If they didn't want to use the face swap technique why not at least have the Night King busy fighting Jon or someone else and let her do the killing blow or let bran help with his warging skill and kill the Night King as a team. At least it would have been in the spirit of Neds quote how the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. But nope Arya does the kill as the lone wolf.

House Stark, with Theon as honorary member, did stick together. And remember Bran's expression (or lack there of) as he handed her the blade used to do the deed. 

Dondarian and the hound kept her alive. The Red Woman prompted/guided her. And Theon kept Bran alive long enough for her to act with the blade Bran provided.. not quite what I'd call lone wolf. 

3 hours ago, manitou said:

I haven't read this whole thread.  SJ, can you please tell me what all the volunteers are volunteering for? :lol:  My mind is running rampant with possibility.

Volunteers has nothing to do with this thread other than for the mention in my first post, I've mentioned them around here before..  They are world travelers of the back packer, bus rider variety who stay here in exchange for some work time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alfheim said:

So I re-watched, and to me it appeared that all present in the godswood were given some sort of "stand down" from the Night King. 

:shrug:

• Like 1

Doesn't any body read or have read Shakespeare? Game of Thrones is a Machiavellian play and borrowed in part from Richard III (War of The Roses) as well as other Shakespeare's plays and the main characters are all representative of Shakespearean characters. Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Falstaff, Banquo, Portia, Richard III and so forth.

Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths;
Our bruised arms hung up for monuments;
Our stern alarums changed to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visaged war hath smooth'd his wrinkled front;
And now, instead of mounting barbed steeds
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,
He capers nimbly in a lady's chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.
But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp'd, and want love's majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail'd of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous,
By drunken prophecies, libels and dreams,
To set my brother Clarence and the king
In deadly hate the one against the other:
And if King Edward be as true and just
As I am subtle, false and treacherous,
This day should Clarence closely be mew'd up,
About a prophecy, which says that 'G'
Of Edward's heirs the murderer shall be.
Dive, thoughts, down to my soul: here
Clarence comes.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ralis said:

Doesn't any body read or have read Shakespeare? Game of Thrones is a Machiavellian play and borrowed in part from Richard III (War of The Roses) as well as other Shakespeare's plays and the main characters are all representative of Shakespearean characters. Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Falstaff, Banquo, Portia, Richard III and so forth.

Nope.  There's but a small following of The Bard these days.

Loyal... but very small... and dwindling each school year that passes.

I'd rather watch Shakespeare then read him.  I don't think you to go Sheakspeare to find such stories of intrigue, treachery and war.  Its right there in most monarchal histories.  From Rome to Europe.  Course maybe that is a roundabout way of saying it is in the Bard's histories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Nope.  There's but a small following of The Bard these days.

Loyal... but very small... and dwindling each school year that passes.

Look up George Martin who wrote the books and read what influenced his writing, you will see that I am right. 

• Haha 1

Just now, ralis said:

Look up George Martin who wrote the books and read what influenced his writing, you will see that I am right. 

I'm not contradicting you at all but agreeing. 

I read the first four before losing interest in his style.

He struck me more of a literary serial killer of cool characters, than a conveyer of in depth stories.

And as I've studied and performed many classics on stage for years in my former life (founding member of the Minnesota Shakespeare Company in the late 80's, I found his reiterating of better authors very tiresome.

Never bothered watching the watered down television script versions of his watered down versions of great classics.  Not enough time in my life for that any more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ilumairen said:

She was sneaky though. Remember her hiding in the dragon skulls? 

Hiding in a dragon skull without movement while two guys walk casually past the skull not even looking at it isn't really sneaky. Most would likely be able to do something like that. Running unseen past a couple white walkers is on a completely different level.

21 hours ago, ilumairen said:

I thought she did a pretty good job. I woulda been toast - no matter how lightly I can step. 

She would have been dead at the end without help and they were just normal wights. There was also way more stuff to hide compared to later outside.

21 hours ago, ilumairen said:

House Stark, with Theon as honorary member, did stick together. And remember Bran's expression (or lack there of) as he handed her the blade used to do the deed. 

Dondarian and the hound kept her alive. The Red Woman prompted/guided her. And Theon kept Bran alive long enough for her to act with the blade Bran provided.. not quite what I'd call lone wolf. 

Theon didn't receive a dire wolf. He isn't really one of the pack. How would "the pack survives" even fit to theon at that point?
Arya got a little help here and there but the whole kill part was her and her alone. None of the other "wolves" did help her at that point. The way it is portrayed she could have killed the Night King at any moment anywhere by herself as long as she had a Valerian weapon and the Night King being on the ground. When Arya did attack him from behind his back was stronger guarded than any scene before with him on the ground.

18 hours ago, ilumairen said:

So I re-watched, and to me it appeared that all present in the godswood were given some sort of "stand down" from the Night King. 

:shrug:

The White Walkers aren't in stand down. She runs past them. She pretty much took the most difficult path there was at that moment to attack the Night King. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to mention that in my opinion the Night King was in a epic battle of wills with Bran. Bran had spent hour(s) in preparation for the duel of wills and was totally rested, so the  Night King already having put out tremendous amounts of energy for hours during the battle, had to pull in all of his influence/magic :o to bring it to bear on Brian. This would explain why all of the Night King's assets where frozen in place (no pun intended), and why the Night King was not as quick in his response to Aryas attack as he had been when he was attacked by some of the others:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alfheim said:

he White Walkers aren't in stand down. She runs past them. She pretty much took the most difficult path there was at that moment to attack the Night King. 

Saw it, 3 times have to agree with Ilumarian. He Vader snatched her throat she dropped the knife masterfully caught it in the other hand and eliminates the overblown villain.

Throughout the whole series she has kept herself together suffered much and adapted. 

Remarkable and fatal!

Why hate on the victor?

Catching the dropped dagger is the same move she pulled on Brianne a few episodes earlier.  Not super hard, but in the heat of life & death battle takes an uncommon mind.

Also Jon Snow Stark Targaryon Harrington was calling out Go Go Go! (I think)  distracting the ice Dragon to give her an extra edge. 

Kudos to team Stark. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pilgrim said:

Why hate on the victor?

Not hating just considering it a rather weak end for the 7 season buildup and teasing. (Not regarding cinematography and music those where top notch)

3 hours ago, thelerner said:

Also Jon Snow Stark Targaryon Harrington was calling out Go Go Go! (I think)  distracting the ice Dragon to give her an extra edge. 

Pretty sure he doesn't yell go go go at the dragon. Sound closer to nooooo, no, no or just some screaming without meaning. If he saw Arya at that point why doesn't he display even the slightest gesture suggesting it? Not while he is cowered down and the dragon can't see him nor while he is screaming at the dragon. Even the subtitles don't say go. Why hide it in the sub if it's supposed to have meaning?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alfheim said:

Pretty sure he doesn't yell go go go at the dragon. Sound closer to nooooo, no, no or just some screaming without meaning. If he saw Arya at that point why doesn't he display even the slightest gesture suggesting it? Not while he is cowered down and the dragon can't see him nor while he is screaming at the dragon. Even the subtitles don't say go. Why hide it in the sub if it's supposed to have meaning?

You have a good point.  But I'm sure when its updated and modernized, Jonathon Snow will be cowering down so the dragon can't see him and texting Arya, 'U go grl'

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, alfheim said:

Not hating just considering it a rather weak end for the 7 season buildup and teasing. (Not regarding cinematography and music those where top notch)

I have to say the last season was far too short and it does seem things were  rushed to tie it up in a nice 🎁 

• Like 2

Just now, Pilgrim said:

I have to say the last season was far too short and it does seem things were  rushed to tie it up in a nice 🎁 

I totally agree.  BTW, that was one good icon placement  :)

20 minutes ago, manitou said:

I totally agree.  BTW, that was one good icon placement  :)

Lol I almost changed it but something told me it would amuse someone, glad it was you. ;) 

• Like 1

perhaps one of the strangest things about the conclusion was that everyone was just "oh? ok, no problem with that" when one of the 7 kingdoms declared themselves to be no longer one of the 7 kingdoms.  as if the other 6 wouldnt have said wait a minute, we're giving an up/down vote on who's to be king, there was no question about are you one of the 7 kingdoms or not.

(but as this guy points out, what's her name greyjoy was promised by blondie that the islands would be independent during the series, then entirely forgets about this...crap I wouldnt have remembered or thought of)

Spoiler

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 1