Aetherous

Omniscience. Game of Thrones.

in some ways its all his fault.  He can 'warg' into other people and animals, take them over.  Thus he could potentially have 'warged' in Danerys (or her Dragon) and kept her from murdering 10,000s.  With great power comes great blame. 

Heck if he knew as much as Varys he could have caused some sort of intervention, even along the lines of simply telling Jon to have sex with her, thus saving a city and keeping her off Arya's death list. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, manitou said:

And I never can figure out how Bran's gift actually helps any situation at all.

He works in mysterious ways.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Heck if he knew as much as Varys he could have caused some sort of intervention, even along the lines of simply telling Jon to have sex with her, thus saving a city and keeping her off Arya's death list. 

I wonder if he sees multiple alternative futures, depending on choices made. So, let's say that he questioned what would happen if he told Jon to just have sex with her, so as to avoid the firestorm...but then he saw something worse come about as a result. So he's forced to let numerous horrible things happen in order for a greater good to happen.

Kind of like how so many died at Winterfell, but ultimately the threat was taken care of, in perhaps the single way that it could have been.

Or he's just so cosmic that he truly is not all that human anymore, and barely cares, given the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

I just had a volunteer here send me a link to the Game of Thrones series so I'm looking forward to starting in on the first one tonight.

• Like 2

Just now, Starjumper said:

I just had a volunteer here send me a link to the Game of Thrones series so I'm looking forward to starting in on the first one tonight.

OMG.  You're going to love it.  Rest easy the first 3 or 4 episodes, like always.  It seems to fly around, but it settles in real nicely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aetherous said:

So, let's say that he questioned what would happen if he told Jon to just have sex with her, so as to avoid the firestorm..

LOL.  Let me guess.  You're a guy, right?

12 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Do you actually have a volunteer that finds you all the movies you want to see?

:lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Starjumper said:

piece of advice,

don't get too attached to anyone. 

this will explain everything.. in song

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manitou said:

LOL.  Let me guess.  You're a guy, right?

I'm not really. Not anymore.

tumblr_oadz6oQYLz1th6ffeo1_500.gif

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, manitou said:

Do you actually have a volunteer that finds you all the movies you want to see?

Not like that.  We get volunteers from around the world who stay for a week or three,  Some volunteers are more computer literate than I am.  One is here and he said he was playing Game of Thrones.  At first I thought he was playing the online game but then he said he was watching the show.  I checked earlier when I saw this thread,  to see if I could rent the shows from Amazon but they require buying a whole set of DVDs.  The volunteer said he was watching the shows for free so I had him send me the link but it didn't work.  It was one of those sites that says 'FREE' sign up, but then they want your credit card number and don't tell you when or how much or how often they will start hitting up the card for.  I have a strong dislike for businesses that operate like that, if you like understatements.  I guess the volunteer was getting it for free because his computer is registered in the US and he was using a VPN.

So the wife and I watched a Russian movie about a special forces team and their battle with a bunch of vampires in Moscow.  It was well done and dubbed into English.  

We have a front veranda where the roof is supported by wood posts and the posts are set on some table height brick supports which we use as little coffee tables while sitting out in front.  The volunteer used my brick coffee table, by the front door, to scrape the mud off his boots and just left the mud there to dry, I couldn't believe it.  That's like a damn slap in the face, so I'm wishing he leaves real soon, and sometimes my wishes come true =)

Edited by Starjumper

To watch all the  GOT legally sign up for HBO through Amazon that is if you have a prime membership.

If their is a country restriction sign up for a VPN service set the VPN for USA and then sign in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/offers/signup?ie=UTF8&benefitID=hbo&ref=DVM_US_JK_PS_HBONOWe1|c_261580310620_m_5KnhoQoL-dm_s__

7 day free trial 14.95 after that.

Also look up HBO GO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thelerner said:

piece of advice,

don't get too attached to anyone. 

this will explain everything.. in song

This is wonderful!  I loved hearing 'Kit' Snow sing Wildling...you make my heart sing.  And Peter Dinklage singing 'I'm still going strong'. And the stare down between Ramsey and Theon Greyjoy was priceless.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm rewatching the whole thing.  something came to me last night which I had missed the first time around.  When Arya is being trained in Bravos to be No One, she is experiencing a component of the enlightenment process.  To be No One would be to lose all egoic identity.   Interesting the methods they used to bring that on.  First, sweeping floors for weeks would be a good start to cracking her ego.  Next, the preparation of the dead bodies - at first she was impatient, but over a period of time, she became patient and exhibited a true reverence for the task she was doing, the mindful washing of the bodies.  And then when they rendered her temporarily blind and she had to beg for money out in the streets (not to mention being attacked periodically by a really strange girl with a big stick).

Aah, the things we do to become a truly great assassin…..it took me 2 or 3 years.  She learns so fast.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

read the books mate.

read the books.

always the better option! 

Spoiler

not that I read GoT, or watched more than a handful of episodes....that said, the burning of...westeros, was it, by the dragon queen....wait, wasnt she like savior of peoples and now she's crazy because her throne might be in jeopardy, so yeah let's go do the one thing that will ensure you to be labeled a butcher and have your claim to the throne rejected...wait, was disney handed the reins for this last season or something?  "get this done has fast as humanly possible and I dont care what even happens, just end this quickly" seems to have been the management mantra...seems like they didnt want to do any of it at all, and put together a handful of episodes just to halfheartedly tie all of the plot together with twine so that they could call it completed

then you can just hand wave away garbage like what disney did with star wars and say "that's not canon," and completely ignore it :D   (7 was so bad that I refused to watch 8, and reaffirmed this when half my friends said they left the theater while the movie was still going....niiiiiiiiiiine, is right out!)

Edited by joeblast
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joeblast said:

(7 was so bad that I refused to watch 8, and reaffirmed this when half my friends said they left the theater while the movie was still going....niiiiiiiiiiine, is right out!)

I was up for a popcorn-eater today and went to see the Avengers (4th incarnation, I think).  I walked out of it as soon as the popcorn was gone.  Severely disjointed movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joeblast said:

wait, was disney handed the reins for this last season or something?

I'm reserving my judgment until the end, and am hoping they'll tie things up in a cool way. Although my judgment won't be so harsh no matter what. I don't mind this last season...or even Star Wars.

Easily entertained!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I made it as far as book 4 then lost interest.

Author struck me as more of a literary serial killer than a storyteller.

I think you and I have completion issues

:taking a deep breath before starting the last episode and breathing it out reallllly slowly in preparation:

• Like 3

Tis over.  Long shot Fiber wins.  Who even knew he was in the running.  

What surprised me was that there were any Dothraki left, seemed like they all went down in the initial charge against the dead.  Similarly I'm surprised there were so many unsullied alive too.  For that matter seems to me the population of the entire world was pretty much decimated.  If Thanos had killed half the of GoT's population they'd still be ahead of the game, compared to all the deaths over the seasons.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1