Sign in to follow this  
Starjumper

Artificial Intelligence

3 minutes ago, rideforever said:

The AI would do those things ... if it was programmed to.   For instance you can programme a computer to press the launch-nukes-button.

But the computer is just a machine.   If the machine is programmed to press the big red button, and then it presses the button, it is just electronics.   It doesn't "know" anything.   It is simply a dumb device.

I have to disagree with you here.  How can you know the knowing of another being?  How can you describe what you know is different than what a supercomputer knows?  It doesn't have blood flowing through it's veins, but it has eyes, ears, memory, and decision making abilities.

in fact, it doesn't really matter how you define 'know' and it is not a useful argument, because however you want to define know, it is clear that supercomputers can do their jobs very well.

3 minutes ago, rideforever said:

The real thing this indicates is not that "machines will kill us".  Machines are just hammers and spanners, nothing more.   They have no mind, they are not people.

I disagree again, they do have a mind sufficient to the task.  But this is just definitions, not my bag.

Whether you can tell the difference is one test of whether you are conscious or not.

For the conscious it is self-evident because I Am.

Humans are of several strata, some cannot tell the difference and others can.

The variety of states that humans live in .... is the whole problem in society as it's a big collision of different needs.

Sign in to follow this