Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Qi

Daoist Internal Mastery - new Wang Liping book

im looking for a more simple practice basically, there is lots in this book for someone to get stuck into ,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruce Qi said:

im looking for a more simple practice basically, there is lots in this book for someone to get stuck into ,

You could start with the pore breathing practice, this is how WLP starts with new students. The chapter to begin with is 'Attracting Immortality' which has 12 methods. It starts from the very basics and unfolds into whatever depth you can manage.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, idquest said:

You could start with the pore breathing practice, this is how WLP starts with new students. The chapter to begin with is 'Attracting Immortality' which has 12 methods. It starts from the very basics and unfolds into whatever depth you can manage.

That's interesting - I just transcribed a Chunyi Lin talk and he also starts with pore breathing.

So qigong, here specifically Spring Forest Qigong, at the very beginning helping you connect yourself to the Divine by the breathing. Inhaling energy coming in through the Universe, through every pore, every cell, and put in the lower dan t'ien in the navel. And you exhale - visualize all these stresses, these aches and pains, and smoke shooting out, from every part of the body, returning back to the Universe.

https://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2019/05/controlling-qi-can-be-dangerous.html

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, idquest said:

So does this new book also include Yin Xian Fa, and three immortals? 

4 hours ago, Jaguar said:

So does this new book also include Yin Xian Fa, and three immortals? 

Yes this new book includes the Yin Xian Fa although it was translated to English as 'Attracting Immortality'.

To be honest, now that I've received the book myself and had a chance to quickly flip through it, I see how it could be confusing. I'd say even more, the impression from the book is very different than from WLP's retreats. With this, for any new readers and anybody new to WLP's system, I'd recommend start reading from chapters 3A and 3B, and after that jump right to chapters 13A and 13B which is Attracting Immortality (Yin Xian Fa), and after that to 14A-B. This will give you more feel of how current WLP's retreats are structured.

Also, on a general note, some technical Chinese terms were translated to English which also can be confusing. Here are some of them:

- shen - translated as 'spirit'

- Jing - translated as 'essence'

- ling - translated as 'life force'

- Xiatian (what is usually referred to as dantian) - translated as lower field.

I see how these translation choices could also be confusing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, idquest said:

for any new readers and anybody new to WLP's system, I'd recommend start reading from chapters 3A and 3B, and after that jump right to chapters 13A and 13B which is Attracting Immortality (Yin Xian Fa), and after that to 14A-B. This will give you more feel of how current WLP's retreats are structured.

thanks so much for this as i took one look at the book and basically gave up before i even tried  !

can i ask , which part is the golden flower ?

Edited by Bruce Qi

15 hours ago, Bruce Qi said:

thanks so much for this as i took one look at the book and basically gave up before i even tried  !

can i ask , which part is the golden flower ?

The Secret of the Golden Flower is taiyi jinhua zongzhi (I hope I did it right) which is chapters 14A-B in the book. For the beginners (such as myself) there are two distinct practices there: opening the 3rd eye with li, and An Shen Zu Qiao. WLP usually teaches the first one in the beginning, and the second one in the end. It is recommended that one has done good volume of pore breathing and xiatian (lower field/dantian) work before starting with the 3rd eye.

Another comment re the book: it is NOT a textbook and it is NOT a map for WLP's teaching. In my view the content of the book is more like a collection of transcripts of WLP's talks and guided meditation from 90-s and early 2000-s that are combined in almost random order. Those who attended at least one retreat will figure out what is what. Otherwise it is very difficult to figure out how to build practice based on this book.

Edited by idquest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, idquest said:

Another comment re the book: it is NOT a textbook and it is NOT a map for WLP's teaching. In my view the content of the book is more like a collection of transcripts of WLP's talks and guided meditation from 90-s and early 2000-s that are combined in almost random order. Those who attended at least one retreat will figure out what is what. Otherwise it is very difficult to figure out how to build practice based on this book.

Yup... I've read through parts of the Attracting Immortality and personally have no clue how one is supposed to actually practice from that. :lol: Seems like it would be helpful to someone who's been to a retreat and got the guided instructions the book refers to. The "sleep" practices seem relatively straightforward however.

• Like 1

Got my copy last week.  Awaiting the impulse to dive into training again and will open it then.

As for Sleeping practices... woof!  They were by far the most paradigm shifting experiences for me on the retreat.

They were reality expanding experiences.  Much like some of my sessions with Zhou Ting-Jue.

Still so grateful to have met and worked with Master Wang and Richard.  Hope it works out again timing and location wise to go again.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 4:21 AM, idquest said:

On 5/23/2019 at 7:30 PM, idquest said:

Yes this new book includes the Yin Xian Fa although it was translated to English as 'Attracting Immortality'.

To be honest, now that I've received the book myself and had a chance to quickly flip through it, I see how it could be confusing. I'd say even more, the impression from the book is very different than from WLP's retreats. With this, for any new readers and anybody new to WLP's system, I'd recommend start reading from chapters 3A and 3B, and after that jump right to chapters 13A and 13B which is Attracting Immortality (Yin Xian Fa), and after that to 14A-B. This will give you more feel of how current WLP's retreats are structured.

Also, on a general note, some technical Chinese terms were translated to English which also can be confusing. Here are some of them:

- shen - translated as 'spirit'

- Jing - translated as 'essence'

- ling - translated as 'life force'

- Xiatian (what is usually referred to as dantian) - translated as lower field.

I see how these translation choices could also be confusing.

22 hours ago, idquest said:

The Secret of the Golden Flower is taiyi jinhua zongzhi (I hope I did it right) which is chapters 14A-B in the book. For the beginners (such as myself) there are two distinct practices there: opening the 3rd eye with li, and An Shen Zu Qiao. WLP usually teaches the first one in the beginning, and the second one in the end. It is recommended that one has done good volume of pore breathing and xiatian (lower field/dantian) work before starting with the 3rd eye.

Thank you very much.

22 hours ago, idquest said:

It is recommended that one has done good volume of pore breathing and xiatian (lower field/dantian) work before starting with the 3rd eye.

As in years for the LDT work?

Been away from the ol' bums for a while, and coming back to find there's a new Wang Liping book :D 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, thelerner said:

cool.  Here's a review and more info: http://threepinespress.com/

$49 is expensive but its 430 pages and his seminars are bookoo bucks, so if you pick up a good pointer or two, its probably worth it.  Livia Kohn was the editor and that speaks well of it too. 

<addon> just purchased it from lulu.com, an indie publisher.  Hopefully more money to the author and publisher and less to middle men.   There's a good chance it hasn't been printed yet, so getting it might be a wait. 

@thelerner have you gotten the book yet? How long did it take to print? I just put in an order myself.

11 hours ago, Sloppy Zhang said:

Been away from the ol' bums for a while, and coming back to find there's a new Wang Liping book :D 

@thelerner have you gotten the book yet? How long did it take to print? I just put in an order myself.

Got it a few days after ordering.  I thought it'd take longer and was surprised it came so quickly.   Good book, worth it in my opinion.  Though I'm keeping my practice relatively simple these days, so I'm reading more for the philosophy then multitude of techniques in it. 

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

Got it a few days after ordering.  I thought it'd take longer and was surprised it came so quickly.   Good book, worth it in my opinion.  Though I'm keeping my practice relatively simple these days, so I'm reading more for the philosophy then multitude of techniques in it. 

Yeah, my own practice plate is pretty full. I got the first book they put out (Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu) and there was some good content in there but seemed to be mostly tuned for people who already had the practices from that lineage.

Still I found it interesting to compare and see what they have going on.

• Like 1

I slightly remember reading from a seminar student that one can still practice meditation in upper level apartments and still cultivate results, can anyone confirm this? 

On 12/17/2019 at 10:46 PM, Jaguar said:

I slightly remember reading from a seminar student that one can still practice meditation in upper level apartments and still cultivate results, can anyone confirm this? 

WLP's retreats in the west are usually run from hotels' conference rooms which could be located on any floor, from 1st to 4th in my experience. All of the retreats yield tangible results regardless of the floor.

Also, once you have developed enough sensitivity you will notice how huge the difference is between being in nature (forest with big trees) and in a building. So I'd say the difference is between practicing in a building or in nature rather than which floor in the building.

• Like 1

Hey, 

I appreciate the reply,

Yeah I absolutely agree being in nature, grounded would be best environment for cultivation. 

Cheers

• Like 1

My retreat with Master Wang was as idquest described, at a hotel here in Los Angeles.

The effects were paradigm shifting.  Assumption shattering.  All sitting work and sleep work was done in hotel rooms.

We did go for a walk collectively each morning and worked with local trees each evening.  But all else happened in a room in the hotel.

Personally, most (over 90%) of my sitting and moving cultivation for the last ten years takes place on the second floor of our home (aprox 3 meters above ground).  When turning within, I find the whole of reality unfolds in response... As Within, So Without.

Old fundamentalist notions have dissolved in experience.  What my butt or feet touch is not a concern lately... only the quiet still calm deep breath.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, silent thunder said:

My retreat with Master Wang was as idquest described, at a hotel here in Los Angeles.

The effects were paradigm shifting.  Assumption shattering.  All sitting work and sleep work was done in hotel rooms.

We did go for a walk collectively each morning and worked with local trees each evening.  But all else happened in a room in the hotel.

Personally, most (over 90%) of my sitting and moving cultivation for the last ten years takes place on the second floor of our home (aprox 3 meters above ground).  When turning within, I find the whole of reality unfolds in response... As Within, So Without.

Old fundamentalist notions have dissolved in experience.  What my butt or feet touch is not a concern lately... only the quiet still calm deep breath.

Beautiful thanks for sharing, 

I'm interested in attending a 10 day intensive, I've only heard good things.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2019 at 12:40 AM, silent thunder said:

Got my copy last week.  Awaiting the impulse to dive into training again and will open it then.

As for Sleeping practices... woof!  They were by far the most paradigm shifting experiences for me on the retreat.

They were reality expanding experiences.  Much like some of my sessions with Zhou Ting-Jue.

Still so grateful to have met and worked with Master Wang and Richard.  Hope it works out again timing and location wise to go again.

Hi. Does master Zhou tinh Jue teach sleeping practices.

Sign in to follow this