Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Qi

Daoist Internal Mastery - new Wang Liping book

cool.  Here's a review and more info: http://threepinespress.com/

$49 is expensive but its 430 pages and his seminars are bookoo bucks, so if you pick up a good pointer or two, its probably worth it.  Livia Kohn was the editor and that speaks well of it too. 

<addon> just purchased it from lulu.com, an indie publisher.  Hopefully more money to the author and publisher and less to middle men.   There's a good chance it hasn't been printed yet, so getting it might be a wait. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Information is good.

But how will most people who will buy it be able understand it to know if it is or not?

Reading any reviews - what cultivation have the reviewers achieved to intelligently or accurately review this?

What will vaccinated people drinking fluoridated water, beer brewed in aluminum vats, and eating fake hamburgers do with it?

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey cool, the hidden secrets of the universe, on sale now!  Become an internal arts master for only $19.95.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

What will vaccinated people drinking fluoridated water, beer brewed in aluminum vats, and eating fake hamburgers do with it?

Ascend to the immortal islands.

1 hour ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

Information is good.

Information by itself won’t get you far though.

It’s great to have this if you’re also training with a teacher - especially one in this lineage.

However, as is the etiquette with these sorts of books, a lot of what makes the training effective (and therefor dangerous) is left out or glossed over. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KuroShiro said:

Is this the same text as "Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu" but different translator?

i think so ,not exactly sure but my impression is its a lot better wrote and more clear

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, freeform said:

It’s great to have this if you’re also training with a teacher - especially one in this lineage.

However, as is the etiquette with these sorts of books, a lot of what makes the training effective (and therefor dangerous) is left out or glossed over. 

After having read through some of the preview, I agree.  In fact, the translator explicitly says that the book is no substitute for in-person instruction.  There´s a lot of fascinating information but it´s not written in a manner that would allow a newcomer to actually start a practice.  At least not this newcomer.  That´s my preliminary thinking, anyway.  Other readers may conclude differently.

39 minutes ago, Bruce Qi said:

i think so ,not exactly sure but my impression is its a lot better wrote and more clear

That's my impression too. 

55 minutes ago, freeform said:

You're probably right, but I'm hoping for some history and insights.   A little osmosis of the spirit.  Hopefully be a bit more literate when I'm infront of a solid teacher. 

One day, one week, it'll be just me, cabin and bunch of books.  A week of walking and reading.  Nothing electronic.  This'll be one of the books. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, KuroShiro said:

Is this the same text as "Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu" but different translator?

Bruce Qi is correct.

Its definitely worth having - it has many of the practices of the Longmen lineage. As long as you understand the caveat :)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, freeform said:

Its definitely worth having - it has many of the practices of the Longmen lineage. As long as you understand the caveat :)

My rule of thumb is if things get too hot or too strange, slow down or back off. 

Years ago, I found simply doing zhan zhang for a few weeks with the afternoon sun focused on me, was tripping me up and I needed to back off. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thelerner said:

You're probably right, but I'm hoping for some history and insights.

Yeah. Considering how expensive it is to train with LiPing - it’s great that he’s made this book so clear and easily available :)

I haven’t gone through all of it, but you can certainly get a lot from the practices even as they are.

Training with trees is particularly valuable at early to mid stages - particularly if you have some reasonably private access to some :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Ascend to the immortal islands.

They have beer there? :P

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, freeform said:

Yeah. Considering how expensive it is to train with LiPing - it’s great that he’s made this book so clear and easily available :)

I haven’t gone through all of it, but you can certainly get a lot from the practices even as they are.

Training with trees is particularly valuable at early to mid stages - particularly if you have some reasonably private access to some :) 

Do you know if there are any Longmen Pai Teachers teaching for free in China or in the West?

1 hour ago, KuroShiro said:

Do you know if there are any Longmen Pai Teachers teaching for free in China or in the West?

My main teacher teaches for free - but he doesn’t really accept students publicly.

From what I can tell Damo Mitchell’s syllabus is largely Longmen based. Not free though :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KuroShiro said:

There are several chinese editions with the texts that summarise WLP's teaching over the years, a so called 'Blue Book'. "Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu" as translated by Richard Liao is a translation of the first edition of that Chinese book. The 'Daoist Internal Mastery' is a translation of the second edition of the Blue Book which has a lot more chinese characters inside so to speak. You might have noticed that the 'Daoist Internal Mastery' was edited by Livia Kohn which adds to the better translation to English.

There is quite a number of practices in the book that outlined in a way that readers can start practising them from the book, for instance daoist walking, sleeping practice, some more. But to practice the core teaching students will need to attend WLP's retreats to understand how the practices are built.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, idquest said:

There are several chinese editions with the texts that summarise WLP's teaching over the years, a so called 'Blue Book'. "Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu" as translated by Richard Liao is a translation of the first edition of that Chinese book. The 'Daoist Internal Mastery' is a translation of the second edition of the Blue Book which has a lot more chinese characters inside so to speak. You might have noticed that the 'Daoist Internal Mastery' was edited by Livia Kohn which adds to the better translation to English.

There is quite a number of practices in the book that outlined in a way that readers can start practising them from the book, for instance daoist walking, sleeping practice, some more. But to practice the core teaching students will need to attend WLP's retreats to understand how the practices are built.

Thanks.

Are you also a Longmen Pai student?

So daoist walking, sleeping practice can be learned and practiced fully without the caveat mentioned by freeform?

17 hours ago, freeform said:

By the way - I don’t mean to imply that they're completely ineffective - just that the efficiency is reduced when specific factors are left out...

And there’s also the issue of a transmission from a teacher that has already mastered the skill they’re teaching - which can 10X the efficiency still...

My advice is always to find a decent teacher - that’s the easiest, safest, most efficient way to progress - by far.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KuroShiro said:

Thanks.

Are you also a Longmen Pai student?

So daoist walking, sleeping practice can be learned and practiced fully without the caveat mentioned by freeform?

I've attended some of WLP's retreats.

Daoist walking, tree qigong, and sleeping practice are usually taught at the retreat very close to how they are described in the book. It does not mean that a verbal description is complete because there is always a lot more to them then you can put in any description. When you are on the retreat, you absorb the teaching not only verbally but with all you body and spirit and everything integrates inside you body. It is like you would play a violin on its own and then you would play it as a part of the symphony orchestra - as you can imagine the difference is huge even though the violin is absolutely the same and the tune is absolutely the same.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

just got the book and its not for me ,

if any one in the UK wants to buy a copy without waiting for it to be printed let me know

3 hours ago, Bruce Qi said:

just got the book and its not for me ,

Why not? I'm interested to read a brief review from someone who wasn't into it, if you are willing.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this