Sebastian

Anyone familiar with this rare Qigong form ?

OK.... to the people who clicked 'like' :) .... I challenge you to do exercise 1 then... and let me know what you think. Your experience is valuable to me.

Hi

Thks for sharing. I will do it and give you feedback. It seems a very interesting set. When in Taiwan did you learn it?

Never done this one.
Michael Winn has one that opens the extraordinary meridiens that is good, used to do it regularly.
Here it is demonstrated by a different student :

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, Toni said:

Hi

Thks for sharing. I will do it and give you feedback. It seems a very interesting set. When in Taiwan did you learn it?

You're welcome Toni. I learned it 7 years ago or so. 

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, Sebastian said:

I learned this set 7 years ago in Taiwan, and had never seen it since, in parks anywhere or discussed in Qigong circles, even online. But I recently found a video of a Taiwanese Master performing the set. It's a very old video but it rekindled my interest in finding out more about this form. As per the name, the set opens the 8 extra-ordinary meridians in sequence.

I was wondering if some the Bums recognized or practiced this set, as I would like to share observations, tips, things like that. I am also interested in the history behind this set. I emailed the Master from the video but he didn't provide any additional details, other than writing to me that they weren't offering seminars at this time. The Master I learned it from 7 years ago didn't share details, as he was highly secretive in general, other than he learned it from his Taoist Master when he was quite young. That's the extent I know, although I believe it to be a traditional Taoist set. It's interesting I know so much about this set, energetically, but very little intellectually. It's not a big deal, but I wanted to reach out in case some others knew this set and wanted to share observations. 

For the first forty minutes he's doing the MCO physically, which is a million times better than doing it mentally, however I think it's better to go both directions with that way being last.  The second part, Bird Flapping Wings, is more like it's working on central channel or whole torso.  The Third one is working on the belt lines.  I don't see eight techniques there, only three.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

I forgot to add, the second one, which is sometimes called Bird Flapping Wings, is for getting rid of energy, not for amplifying it.

• Like 1

Thanks Starjumper, it's great to get feedback from someone as experienced as you :)

You are right, flapping wings is for the central channel. The way it's laid out is like this

movement 1: MCO

movement 2 (flapping wings) : central channel

movement 3 (baseball pitch in slow mo) : yin wei, yang wei, heel meridians

movement 4 ( belt channel)

So all 8 meridians are addressed, but there are only 4 actions, you are right.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I forgot to add, the second one, which is sometimes called Bird Flapping Wings, is for getting rid of energy, not for amplifying it.

Interesting... Did you see the strange wriggling of the hands in the exercise you are referring to, it's in the latter part.... like a kind of "energetic seizure", up and down. What do you make of that ? He says it's to expel sick Qi, so I guess it matches what you just said about getting rid of energy.

But the raise on toes and thump on floor part is not for getting rid of energy imo. The vibration removes blockages in the spine, and combined with the arm movements it opens up the central channel, as well as further opening up the MCO from exercise one.

The way I was taught that one is to have the energetic seizure from the shoulders (not the wrists) and the shoulders would rattle and shake the entire body. It's like a very quick succession of shoulder shrugs, as the arms come up and down. It's very strange and I also never saw this in any other set. It makes the top of the spine quite warm, and the arms start to float rapidly. 

Here is the strange arm movements, which I refer to as seizure like (it links to the right part in the video).

Edited by Sebastian

16 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

movement 3 (baseball pitch in slow mo) : yin wei, yang wei, heel meridians

I forgot about the third one.  Nothing really came up for me as for as it's purpose though.  It looks a little like a kidney chi kung technique done the opposite direction.  Maybe if I tried it I could feel something about it.

8 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Interesting... Did you see the strange wriggling of the hands in the exercise you are referring to, it's in the latter part.... like a kind of "energetic seizure", up and down. What do you make of that ? He says it's to expel sick Qi, so I guess it matches what you just said about getting rid of energy.

I looked through it by moving the slider to each section and just watching small bits and pieces.  If you can post the time mark for the finger and shoulder stuff you mentioned  I'll check it out.  The reason I say getting rid of energy is because the palms are facing down, which means it's for sickies.  I'm not saying that the guy in the video is a sickie, but that's what it's mainly for.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Oh just posted the right time mark here, sorry, of the vibration part.

Well, I don't really want to say what that's for, I feel like I already gave away too much.  :)  We do something similar but much expanded in our chi kung so it is a good technique.  The best way to learn is to do it yourself and see what you can feel.

The other part, the dropping, can be done without the arm movement.  One thing it does is helps to strengthen the bones and inner muscles in the torso and legs.  Shit, I'm saying too much ...

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Well, it's very nice of you, Starjumper, to share with us here on DaoBums...

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

To me personally, these video look like part of basics warm up with public students, like in a class.

These are not specific or advanced Qigong.

Looks like plain health exercises - align frame better, increase flow of lymphatic - good for old people.

I see lots online.

Advanced Qigong looks like maybe nobody is teaching or making videos.

You could do that stuff in the videos a million years and all you get is bit healthier - better than sitting in office or watching TV.

But all that is just my personal view.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

Advanced Qigong looks like maybe nobody is teaching or making videos.

How doe the advanced stuff look like?

Cool, thanks for your feedback vonkrankenhaus.

I guess for me what was unique about the set is the focus on the 8 meridians and how the set makes me feel energetically in these areas. It's a set I can somehow never tire of, and keeps calling me back. But yes from the outside it looks very unglamorous and plain. The mental cues magnify the effects of each movement, for example coming down pressing on the Dantian sphere with the palms in the first exercise. There's others for the rest of the movements too. Thanks.

1 minute ago, freeform said:

How doe the advanced stuff look like?

I don't see video of any yet online, but I am looking.

If I find some I will post.

Stuff in video looks Buddhist to me - heel channel stuff, etc.

Lots of Buddhist Qigong online - maybe you can see in the current Sil Lum Temple shows.

This is just some basics good for tourists and modern people who look for health.

8 Extraordinary don't need "open up". They are Resevoirs and connections.

So what you ending up with are basic "vague" stretching exercises for those areas - OK, but not really developing.

People who start in traditional Gongfu already have this, so go from there to better or real material.

I cannot give real exercises to people not able to do them.

Nobody can - so this is why we seeing all kinds of stalled at basics.

That's where consumers are, so make the consumer of today happy mean easy acceptance and money.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

Here is video of basic form I learn as a kid and practice many year before exploring further Qigong.

This video I do not know this particular guy - but is same family system I learn as a kid from one of Lam Cho student Tang Kwok Wah in mid-70s and going from there. Later I go to about 9 other countries and learn from others too.

This is basic. But if you examine each movement - each is a very detailed Qigong exercise in itself, and many applications.

But even this is not "advanced".

This is still some WaiDan and also has martial arts applications.

So I show this to show basic starting place for Qigong in traditional learning.

Most people coming to learn a Qigong class haven't been doing for years and years this first.

So here is a "starting point" for real Qigong, not the actual advanced studies.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

So here is a "starting point" for real Qigong, not the actual advanced studies.

:)

I was just curious what advanced Qigong looks like from your perspective. I’m not really looking for a starting point.

Do post if you ever see it though :)

Or even describe the difference for us.

30 minutes ago, freeform said:

I’m not really looking for a starting point.

Nobody is.

So nobody has one yet.

Extraordinary are just reservoirs and connections maintaining various polarities in/of the organ channels.

If you take apart the form I have shown, you will see them being filled, and transfers happening, etc.

And also "Healing Sounds" is there.

By comparison, for example, belt channel stuff in the video first posted is just calisthenics for if you have a big shit in there and need to loosen. Good to do BEFORE actually studying.

I think that one form Tid Sin Kuen is advanced compare to what I typically see, and compared to first video is like rocket sciences.

But only if you know what to look for.

And yes - this is just introduction to Qigong traditionally, we do this first.

-VonKrankenhaus

This is other guy's teacher Y.C. Wong doing same form.

More casual performance, but you can hear the sounds better and see some movements slower, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with Y.C. Wong?

He studied from Lam Cho, but also study Yi Kuen and many other things.

I do not know him, but I did know Tang Kwok Wah who was Lam Cho top student in the same school.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Thanks, this is realy good information and educational to watch. I was wondering being a Westerner if there is any pictures/videos of full circle, circular groups of power movements, within any of these energy moving traditions. To me a full circle would be indicative of a mage/sage/master, practicing the capturing a jinn/spirit in a jinn/spirit battle. I have not found any similar pictures of this type of circular exercise/practice, but this picture is similar to what it would look like using second sight/third eye if, a mage after a jinn/spirit capture, was sitting within his inner circle, as he is working the jinn/spirit into submission.

5ce32601ebcd1_ahqdefault(9)-Copy.jpg.c03e969b77c02cb930b782ac8ac0ffcd.jpg

Edited by mrpasserby
added clarification
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

I don't see video of any yet online, but I am looking.

I could give it a whirl, but it would just be a couple of techniques out of ten thousand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freeform said:

Or even describe the difference for us.

It's variable

More stupid simple repetitive boring 

Usually done way slower than standard slow chi kung but some pcs are fast.

as relaxed as possible without falling down and very soft, like sleepy or drunk.

and other more important stuff.

• Like 2