sean

The Deadly Huashan Hiking Trail

Via Mt Huashan Hiking Trail

huashan%20stairs.jpg

You are about to view pictures of what has to be the most dangerous Tourist Hiking Trail in the world. After you see the pictures, I have little doubt you will agree.

Mt. Hua is located in the Shaanxi Province of China. It stands to the south of Huayin City, 75 miles east of Xian. From the map, this mountain is located close to Himalayas of Tibet. 'Shan' means 'mountain' in Chinese, thus the name 'Hua-shan'.

This is not mountain climbing. Mountain climbing involves using advanced equipment and skill honed through experience. Instead you will see a public trail used by anyone foolish enough to give it a try regardless of their physical ability or previous climbing experience.

It is said there are frequent casualties. I was unable to drum up any confirmation for this allegation. Nevertheless, my own eyes tell me how dangerous this trail is. In certain parts, one mistake and you will fall to your death. For example, take a look at the icy stairs in the picture!

Mt. Huashan is not some neglected little spot in the middle of nowhere. Quite the contrary! Mt Huashan is one of the five sacred mountains in China (the other four mountains are Mt. Taishan in Shandong, Mt. Hengshan in Hunan, Mt. Hengshan in Shanxi, and Mt. Songshan in Henan.)

huashan%2001a.jpg

huashan%2002b.jpg

Sean

man oh man

the photos from that site you linked to are intense

although my mind says i'd love to do it and see those amazing views

i know my huge fear of heights would kick in

at least someone is brave enough to go out there and take photos for the rest of us

Funny I was JUST talking about this with my brother about 20 minutes ago! I would absolutely LOVE to visit this place.

277086665_36c1f0a6f2.jpg

277086662_69077c0ea1_o.jpg

277085767_c8f70565ee.jpg

277085766_fb79df04a1.jpg

1957921861_b4428cee4f.jpg

1958747776_ba7e6ceb6b_o.jpg

304776977_75e3bc774a.jpg

277086664_b3c7c6e71e.jpg

293648975_64200319fd.jpg

was there in the winter of 2003. Amazing place although they close some of the more dangerous paths due to the ice and snow.

It was great as there were only a handful of people there instead of huge groups of Chinese and Japanese tourists with megaphones and flags :)

stayed on Nth Peak and trained one sunrise with full moon on one side and rising sun on other... .perfect :)

Y'all haven't seen anything until you see the monk doing tai chi chuan right up to the edge of his peak. Its amazing!

Yes, its a dangerous place. But absolutely breathtaking.

Edited by RedFox

Y'all haven't seen anything until you see the monk doing tai chi chuan right up to the edge of his peak. Its amazing!

Yes, its a dangerous place. But absolutely breathtaking.

Was there in 2004. BTW my avatar shows a Taoist sitting on a tree on Huashan with 3000 feet exposure below him!

There are many many quite safe trails. It is a wonderful place. Amazing vistas abound. There are incredible stairs carved out of the granite running up and down the mountain. So much granite. Reminded me of Yosemite with a more humid climate. If there were as many crazy rock climbers in China as in the US Huashan would be covered with ropes and chalk marks.

post-37-1203518166_thumb.jpg

I'm honestly curious what the annual fatality rate is there?

I think that Daoist perspective is: the more risky it is the more people will pay attention. Thus the fatality rate should be very low.

Possibly less than incidents at home :lol:

Craig, I would love to see more pictures of that tree.

I always wondered if sitting on the edge, and dissolving fear was a very smart thing to do or a very stupid thing to do.

I think that Daoist perspective is: the more risky it is the more people will pay attention. Thus the fatality rate should be very low.

Possibly less than incidents at home :lol:

Craig, I would love to see more pictures of that tree.

I always wondered if sitting on the edge, and dissolving fear was a very smart thing to do or a very stupid thing to do.

Pietro

I cannot tell a lie. I stole that tree sitting picture from Michael Winn's website somewhere.

Though I do have more pics of Huashan.

Rock climbing to me has always been an exercise in ONE POINTEDNESS. I you are up on a wall with limited or no safety equipment you damn well better be paying attention to what is most important IN THE MOMENT.

Even better than getting in the ring and having someone trying to hit you. B)

Craig

I've only done one climb like that where if I had relaxed one hand it was all over. I found my concentration to be quite good, but still, I plan on never repeating such a drill. :lol:

Growing up with climbing cliffs right across the street, I've climbed a bit...although never the significantly high stuff you need ropes for...always wanted to, never knew the people or had the chance. I've climbed a bunch of stuff over there that I probably should have had ropes for, but went for it anyway in the absence.

Of course, I used to climb on my parent's roof when I was like 10 as well :lol:

More pics from that link in Sean's first post that I didnt notice earlier....

huashan%2003a.jpg

huashan%20closeup%2003.jpg

huashan%20ridge%203.jpg

huashan%20closeup%2012.jpg

huashan%20closeup%2011.jpg

huashan%20109.jpg

huashan%20119.jpg

huashan%20121.jpg

huashan%20chimney%203.jpg

Sorry, you posted more images than you were allowed to? :lol:

huashan%2003a.jpg

huashan%20stairway.jpg

huashan%20staircase%20long.jpg

I've only done one climb like that where if I had relaxed one hand it was all over. I found my concentration to be quite good, but still, I plan on never repeating such a drill. :lol:

When Yoda visited me in Phoenix we went hiking in Sedona. He took his shoes off for the entire hike and when we got to the steep part(not even remotely anything like Hua Shan) he was up that sucker in like a minute. It took me atleast a few minutes to get up.

When he talks about the Chinese people laughing as they walked past him I could totally see that. Some poeple can just do crazy stuff like that and not be bothered by it.

I don't know how high I would get but am sure by the time I got to that plank walk with nothing but a chain to keep you from sure death I would tell my friends I'll see you in a couple hrs and head for the bottom, that looks crazy, the steep climb after the plank walk looks like a death wish.

Imagine living in that house or temple on the top of the cliff you have no other choice to be one with Tao as you wake up to that beautiful scenery and at night with the moon and stars?!

That was absolutely Beautiful how great this world is!!!

Is there any pics of WuTai Shan like this?

Hey, you guys in NA have some places that are truly breathtaking as well.

Tetons, Yosemite Valley, Arizona, Utah.

Nothing to envy the Chinese sacred mountains. Start cultivating in those areas so that you can build up a lot of spiritual chi :)

I wish I had stuff down here in flat Down Under.

hahahahaaa....actually I think in those spots there are places you can rent a harness and clip on, just in case.

huashan%20andre%20hycenko%201.jpg

Huashan Dragon Immortal Cave

gallery_8508_56_84098.jpg

Huashan North Peak Temple Complex

gallery_8508_56_155065.jpg

Huashan Chess Board Pavilion

gallery_8508_56_9701.jpg

Huashan South Peak Temple

gallery_8508_56_104016.jpg