Epic Food Appreciation/Outdoor Cooking Masters

and...

um...

this...

i mean... stone fried... 

but the lake in the background...

the sounds of the process...

just appreciate this channel so much.

I said to my son, just this evening as I raised a forkfull of roast pork to my mouth.

"man is never so honest, as when he's praising good food."

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Been hankering for Alderwood or Cedar Salmon as well...

Salmon baked in the oven on Alderwood planks that have been saturated in herbal water...

Looks like I'll have to up my cardio this weekend, we're gonna be eating big! lol

9 hours ago, Nintendao said:

I feel like he might be related to Cook Ting!

I thought the same thing the moment I saw him go after that hip joint without looking, with that giant grin on his face... all while dancing a little jig.

Such pure joy and obvious skill. 

Awesome.

• Like 1

I like cooking in bamboo culm by outside fire.

cooking-sticky-rice-inside-bamboo-260nw-

I do it a bit different to this .  I cut the bamboos in 2 culm sections, the top for the food and trim the bottom one to make a spike to stick it in the ground (on an angle ) and place them around the fire . You can put anything in it. My fav is fish chunks (or chicken if you like .... or tofu )  , coconut milk, fish sauce, bit of palm sugar, chilli, golden shallot, lime leaf,  coriander.

And some other ones with sticky rice in them

1351636229425.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

This guy almost made me cry at the end.

That was beautiful!

Those sandwiches were as big as their faces!

what a sweet man... thanks for sharing mate.

• Thanks 1

I still vividly recall the cup of coffee that changed my brain chemistry permanently.

It was an awakening experience to realize what coffee is capable of being when made with skill and deep knowledge.  It's wholly unlike every other coffee experience I'd had up until that time.

I had gone to a friend's house and we were settling in to play a game when his Mum stopped in and asked if I'd like a coffee... I casually said yes please and had no idea what was coming.

A bit later she set a cup in front of me and walked away.  I took one sip and my world paused, is the only way to describe it.  My eyes widened and I stared at my buddy dumbfounded, he (at the time youngest exec chef in NYC) said casually, 'yea, mom has mastered incredible Turkish coffee'.

I wordlessly stood up and walked into the kitchen and gave her a hug and asked " HOW did you do that with coffee beans and water?!?!"  I made myself her student.  They are from the Ukraine and moved to the US fleeing trouble in that region in the late 80's.  She showed me her ibrik and what she did and to this day I still try to emulate what she casually mastered.

Coffee since that day is to me one of the more underrated and overlooked joys of life.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

51956124_601939543602803_1253452305160732672_n.jpg.93dda99ecf32b4bb6e2d2d9617735bf7.jpg

My favorite cezve/ibrik says hi :) 

:wub:  You are one of the few other people I've encountered who speaks of coffee with a similar reverence to how I feel about it.

• Thanks 1

Okay , I have told this before but  the above sparked my memory ;

In a Lebanese restaurant , out with some nurses from work  ( and those nights  would often get pretty wild ! ) .  About 6 of us at a table, drinking, eating , mucking up .  Waiter is flirting with the girls  ,  and tries to  score points with them by making a joke at my expense , I shrugged , but as he walked off  I pegged him in the back of the head with an olive  .  He turned looking angry but we all acted innocent without giving away how did it .

he goes out to the kitchen and comes back with a doz eggs in carton, holding one up to throw it . We bunched together and ducked down behind some held up menus .  he didnt fire but then came up to the table , deciding  one of the women had done it and said ;

" Woman !   Dance for me ! "  (as some  music was playing  ) .

She goes 'Okay ' , jumps up on the table , kicks things out the way and starts doing a sexy dance .

Waiter ; " Okay okay, thats enough , get down now . "    Then,  I had rolled a has joint , and I  held it up  ' Can we smoke this in here ? "

" Dont be stupid ! Everyone will smell it !  Not in my restaurant . What are you smoking ? "

"  Hash ."

" Hashish ! ?   Show it to me ! "    So I did and he   " Rubbish !  " and throws it into a far corner .    HEY !   Thats my hash !

Waiter ;   " I will show you REAL hash ."  he came back  and showed me a ' lump from paradise '  , ' Oooooo can we smoke that ?"

"I told you NO !   What, you stupid ?"   - this guy was very entertaining  :D

he goes out and comes back wheeling this antique looking coffee service  tray  cart thing , all brass , even its little spoked wheels , it had a  little charcoal fire going , a roasting pan , a grinder , coffee pot, some  small cups .  he starts roasting the beans in the pan  , then   throws in some cardamon seeds and then the hash !   Smashes them up a little  with  a  wooden pestle  then puts it through the grinder and into the pot and pours me a shot  ......

755485-heaven-istock-111818.jpg&f=1&nofb

:wub:

A while back I was looking into intelligence / awareness increasing drugs  - yes, they are out there , but most  have nasty side effects  so I started looking for natural ones .   I found there is only really one  ( 'proved' by science )   -  coffee .

• Like 1
  • Wow 1