I don’t think drugs are bad yet I also don’t think drugs are good.   My perception is arguably an enlightened view, although somewhat selfish because I haven’t had the personal experience too many times of the death of close loved ones because of drugs or the tragedy of living a tumultuous life as a drug addict (although I have to admit to myself I might be an addict).

I think the biggest issue with drugs is the somewhat warranted, but mostly unwarranted stigma against it.   Being a Drug Addict means hiding in the dark, hiding your addiction from others, sometimes stealing, sometime prostitution, sometimes other disturbing actions.   It means anguish; it means high highs and low lows, a vast array of emotions. It also means escaping from your emotions, from your anxiety, from your depression, from your anguish or anger.    

I think that people that people don’t realize that actions are just actions in this universe and although actions have consequences, it doesn’t mean that actions don’t have utility as well.   

I am a social introvert for the time being.    Some of the most extroverted individuals in this universe are those who use substances.     I almost feel as if acceptance of the substance as just another reality in life has brought me into a sub-culture that has certain characteristics that I value much and would prefer to merge into my being through diffusion.  In other words, I love the life style. I love people getting together in the name of getting together and enjoying each other’s company.

Now I think that there is such thing as addiction, both chemical and mental.   I think they go hand in hand with each other. I’ve come to accept discomfort or anguish as an individual through continual exposure to that discomfort and anguish and through the power of letting go of attachment.    I may have urges for drugs, but mentally I’m learning to accept the discomfort of an incompletion of an urge for what it is: discomfort & anguish. Addiction is the inability to sit through the anguish and thus follow through with drug seeking behavior.   Addiction is when you become obsessed for a high, thinking that the “high” is the end all.

Am I an addict?   I really don’t know.   Will drugs partially be the cause of what destroys me?  Yes it will. We as humans are on a path to our destruction.  The path to the eternal is to follow into the darkness. And what is the eternal?   Complete dissolution and diffusion into the serenity of the void of existence. Destruction does not have to have a negative connotation.   To create and to destroy are two sides of the same coin. To accept both as a reality in peace and equanimity is the path of paths. Drugs will destroy my health, and ultimately my life.    Still, I accept them as one of the paths in life I want to take, because the path came to me.

For me, its almost unseen that I swim in the opposite direction of the reality that is facing me.  I have been taught to take the shortest course in nature’s completion to flow, that it is almost if I am indeed flowing with the reality that has made itself present.   Soft and supple are the way to life, just as a supple plant bends in the wind. Just as water dissolves the hardest of rocks. I choose to be soft and supple in the face of drugs allowing them to come into my life as they come and allowing them to go when they go.

Edited by profounded

My view on drug addiction is similar to psychology’s view: How much does it impact your daily life?

We could take it to a deeper level though. Maybe your able to hold a job down, pay your bills and function well enough. But do you think about it all the time? If the answer is yes, I would say it’s only a matter of time until it starts impacting your daily life. 

That´s quite the position statement on drugs, Profounded.  The fact that it´s so thoughtful and carefully reasoned leads me to believe that drugs are a big part of your life.  You´re obviously questioning whether or not that´s a good thing or you wouldn´t be sharing this with us.  I´d suggest talking with an addiction professional to help you evaluate your use and whether or not it´s in your best interest.

Just my two cents.

Liminal

• Like 3

Profounded, thanks for being so honest.  But beware of rationalizing and philosophizing an unhealthy addiction.  imo taking drugs is playing with fire.  I like fire, fire has its uses, but when you're on fire- stop drop and roll buddy. 

Its hard, its painful but when your writing things like 'Drugs are robbing you of your health', 'Drugs are gonna kill you', I can't imagine bigger bolder signs that say Stop.  Stop the drugs, find something else.  There are points where all of us need help to get us off the tracks of an oncoming train.  Seeing an addiction professional would be a brave and right move. 

Our lives aren't just ours.  Our life affects our family, our friends, our potential future happy selves.  Hurting ones health or dying early hurts them. 

• Like 4

Yes, it's a slippery slope.

I lived as you did, once.  "Allowing drugs to come and go in my life."

You think you have control, until one day you realize you don't.  And at that point you're in too deep.

Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, like me. 

Years will go by, thousands of dollars later... You will have missed the best years of your life.  You'll be weak and sick and broke.  Many friends you had will be dead, or in jail.

But maybe you'll find someone who helps you, gets you back on your feet. 

You clean up your act, finally find a reason worth living.  You're actually enjoying life now, without drugs.  You are free of the prison you created for yourself.

You may even find a special someone and marry.

But then you'll wonder if you'll end up dying many years before them, because of what you put your body through. 

You try to live healthy, to exercise and eat good food.  Take your vitamins.

But you know all that shit you did couldn't have been good for your heart and your organs.

What you squandered and didn't care about at one time, is now very precious, it's a gift to you.

That's the best case scenario...

A slippery slope indeed.

I can't do it all over, though.  All I can do is write this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So isn't the right to freedom and happiness a true allowance of the use of drugs?

Who are you or any person to tell another person what they can and can't put in their body..

There is a part of humanity that likes to ingest things for psycho-spiritual benefit..

^Like shamans and shamanism..

But with today's technology we can go even further involved with spirituality..

Should one be able to follow their curiosity? Well of course!

43 minutes ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

So isn't the right to freedom and happiness a true allowance of the use of drugs?

Who are you or any person to tell another person what they can and can't put in their body..

There is a part of humanity that likes to ingest things for psycho-spiritual benefit..

^Like shamans and shamanism..

But with today's technology we can go even further involved with spirituality..

Should one be able to follow their curiosity? Well of course!

Depends what kind of substances we're talking about, I guess. :)  The OP didn't specify.

However, I can't in good faith, let someone walk down the path of destruction without saying "Maybe you should think twice before walking that way. I took that path, it does not end well."

Is letting someone curiously walk to their demise...really celebrating freedom, happiness and psycho-spiritual benefit?

Maybe I'm wrong... but OP talks a lot about "addiction" in the post. Methinks he's not referring to a weekend of psilocybin exploration.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

... slippery slope indeed.

Couldn't agree more. To put it another way ...

With drugs ... or even alcohol, food or sex for that matter ... you easily get to the point where it becomes the focal point of your life. Everything you do ... every decision you make ... becomes oriented towards supporting your indulgence. It's insidious,  pernicious.  At some point you may realize that you no longer have the ability, as much as you may want, to choose anything that is not supporting your indulgence ... other explorations of life, family, friends. If that is not a description of loss of freedom ... loss of independence ... I don't know what is.

I once had a friend that was into marijuana in a big way. When I asked why he smoked pot all the time, he said, "Because I like it too much".

Slippery slope ... Indeed.

• Like 2

I´m typing this post at a cafe that sells what looks to me like really delicious cheesecake.  Should I go up to the counter and snag a piece?  Hmmm...I´d love to.  And isn´t it my right as a free human being to put as much delicious cheesecake in my mouth as I desire?  Yes, it absolutely is. 

It´s also my right to step back and consider: while it´s true that cheesecake tastes good and would provide some short-term pleasure, it´s not really the best choice for me right now.  People who love me and are concerned for my health have suggested that I cut down on the cheesecake.  If I can´t stop myself I might have to go to Cheesecake Eaters Anonymous. 

Human beings often struggle between what feels good in the moment and what leads to wellbeing in the longer term.  We´re free to give in to temptation and we´re free to find reasons not to.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, profounded said:

I don’t think drugs are bad yet I also don’t think drugs are good.   My perception is arguably an enlightened view, although somewhat selfish because I haven’t had the personal experience too many times of the death of close loved ones because of drugs or the tragedy of living a tumultuous life as a drug addict (although I have to admit to myself I might be an addict).

We like to believe our views are enlightened. They're easier to hold when we paint them in such a way. 

You wrote "too many times" regarding the death of loved ones.. Have you experienced this?

I think the biggest issue with drugs is the somewhat warranted, but mostly unwarranted stigma against it.   Being a Drug Addict means hiding in the dark, hiding your addiction from others, sometimes stealing, sometime prostitution, sometimes other disturbing actions.   It means anguish; it means high highs and low lows, a vast array of emotions. It also means escaping from your emotions, from your anxiety, from your depression, from your anguish or anger.    

In this you place the blame on those around the drug addict. The addict may feel justified in stealing to allay their desires, but the individuals whose trust is broken are supposed to what? Feel nothing but love and support for the individual who is trapped in such a place that mutual respect is nearly impossible, and anything they worked for that may be of enough value to supply the next fix could disappear at any time.. 

And let's not forget the lies..

The "stigma" is generally a direct result of actions and choices.. 

I think that people that people don’t realize that actions are just actions in this universe and although actions have consequences, it doesn’t mean that actions don’t have utility as well.   

The stigma is also just an action.. 

I am a social introvert for the time being.    Some of the most extroverted individuals in this universe are those who use substances.     I almost feel as if acceptance of the substance as just another reality in life has brought me into a sub-culture that has certain characteristics that I value much and would prefer to merge into my being through diffusion.  In other words, I love the life style. I love people getting together in the name of getting together and enjoying each other’s company.

And this is, in your experience, centered on shared drug use? 

Now I think that there is such thing as addiction, both chemical and mental.   I think they go hand in hand with each other. I’ve come to accept discomfort or anguish as an individual through continual exposure to that discomfort and anguish and through the power of letting go of attachment.    I may have urges for drugs, but mentally I’m learning to accept the discomfort of an incompletion of an urge for what it is: discomfort & anguish. Addiction is the inability to sit through the anguish and thus follow through with drug seeking behavior.   Addiction is when you become obsessed for a high, thinking that the “high” is the end all.

Even people who can sit through the anguish are addicts. It is the anguish that is the indicator. 

Edited by ilumairen

8 hours ago, Boundlesscostfairy said:

Nobody has said can or can't, and nobody here is in a position to.

The poster presented a view suggested to be enlightened that is laced throughout with the idea of addiction. Addiction is not freedom.

And I see more nihilism than enlightenment. 

• Like 3

Enlightenment is (in Buddhism) the liberation from all disturbing emotions. Just so we're clear about who is enlightened, and who isn't.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

Enlightenment is (in Buddhism) the liberation from all disturbing emotions. Just so we're clear about who is enlightened, and who isn't.

:waves hand:

I'm not. ^_^

Just now, ilumairen said:

:waves hand:

I'm not. ^_^

Yep, I'm definitely not. Just driving around during rush hour with me, and anyone could see the truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Yep, I'm definitely not. Just driving around during rush hour with me, and anyone could see the truth.

:)

I got a surprise once ... I was spending the day at a Buddhist house , as a friend was a temporary resident there . We did some ceremony and chanting, a bit of garden work then stopped for  morning tea ... no milk !  One of the monks offered to go get some and asked me 'Do you want to come with me on a drive to the shop ?'  Okay .   He was Nepalese, I think and dressed as a monk, shaved head, mala,    and acting all calm and with decorum ... all very traditional, but when we go out to the car , its all hotted up ... he does a giant wheelie when he takes off, going sideways around corners .... I'M hanging on going  ' Sheeeeeit ! "   :D 

front_3_ef28d61a-3623-4289-aca2-101bd764

Car-Pendant-Buddhist-Tibetan-Prayer-Whee

I suggest you install some type of miniature zen garden in the car , then, during times of stress, a quick rake will calm you down

a796def35b1bc2892952507e19666736.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 3