Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Can't Get Enough Of What You Don't Need

"You can't get enough of what you don't need"

Heard this phrase this week.   And I relate it to how the media gains viewers and readers ... by selling things you don't need.  

And by disturbing people with things that are more and more disturbing, disharmonising, things that make you question the sanity of half of mankind, or the other half, the more disturbing the better.

And this creates sales.

People have to read because "if it's true" I must know about it.
Shock, horror.

And it would be fine except that the public seems to be becoming informed and directed by these ideas, although they were only inserted into the news in order to increase sales.

15 hours ago, rideforever said:

and there always seems to be so much of it...

particularly processed thought/news and fast food.

Reminds me, walking through the grocery store with my son last weekend. 

We're passing the endcaps, he looks over and says "All bright colors and boxes.  No real food down any of these aisles."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rideforever said:

Heard this phrase this week.   And I relate it to how the media gains viewers and readers ... by selling things you don't need.  

And by disturbing people with things that are more and more disturbing, disharmonising, things that make you question the sanity of half of mankind, or the other half, the more disturbing the better.

And this creates sales.

People have to read because "if it's true" I must know about it.
Shock, horror.

And it would be fine except that the public seems to be becoming informed and directed by these ideas, although they were only inserted into the news in order to increase sales.

Yeah .   I am actually glad that I had a long time with hardly any money . It made me realise there are a whole range of stuff out there I have no need of.

Now  I have a lot of $$$$$  , and aside from initial purchases and needs ; like a new vehicle, a shed  and some new furniture, spending has slowed down . Now, I got the money, but I dont need any of that stuff .  I was thinking of  big spending ; teeth implants, OS trip, silly expensive car,  bu nah .

Thing is, I dont really need all that, and I am very happy as is ,   VERY happy .  I have what I need .  I dont think going and spending a lot of money is going to improve that ... actually, it might detract from it .

• Like 3

We tend to spend our expendible money on experiences instead of stuff.  Travel is big.  But even then, we prefer camping over hotels and hiking over resorts.

Things get boring and used up so fast... memories really shine, as long as ya get to keep em anyway.

Mom lost almost all of her memories toward the end... that was a wild ride.

Really just isn't that much that's needed for a full open throttle life when it comes down to it.

I have a collection of small invaluable emotional totems.  Items associated with the folks that I love with all my being.  Each has a vivid memory, and a specific person associated with it.  Through the ease of modern life, all of my closest friends are now spread out across the globe, so these small items are treasured all the more.

Books.  Books.  Books.  I freaking love books and have begun collecting (psuedo-hoarding) again after winnowing my collection down by 70% in a deep purge about a decade ago.  I doubt I'll ever purge like that again.  My son will inherit the library.

Books shine brighter than gold for me.

10 hours ago, Nungali said:

teeth implants,

hmm .... also have 2 root canals and a lot of white fillings but things are much improved with the Hangsun oral irrigator > top tip

What to do when you don't need anything ?
Hmm ... well the thing is that in sugar-land .... when you walk away from it you can feel empty, but this is just illusion. 

It is beautiful to grow an orchard of heavy cropping dynamic individual trees.
It's blissful and ecstatic, but also Real and connected to the ground.
Power is great, but it need to be grounded and earned and cultivated and so on.

It is not free like sugar, but earned and made like sculpture, like Michelangelo.
Then your love can be big, but also not fleeting.
Your effort and wisdom pulls it out of the void, concretize it.

Renaissance man, that's a nice idea.

This must be the way.

Do what they will, discover what they will, and bring it out of the emptiness into the actualness.

Sign in to follow this