Sign in to follow this  
lifeforce

Deleted

1 hour ago, lifeforce said:

Don't ever go to this guy for self-defence classes.

It's no wonder he has disabled the comment section.

Are you some kind of damn expert on self defense?  What he is doing is excellent.  It's just that in my book nei kung does not include practicing kindergarten level tai chi applications.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

Been practicing 35 years so I think I know a little. 

Good, hopefully you've bee practicing something worthwhile, were your teachers in the top 0.1%?.  I heard of some of the first Gringo tai chi teachers who would assure you that tai chi has nothing to do with self defense and they know because they were already practicing for twenty years.

1 hour ago, GSmaster said:

I love how they always teach "martial arts" in slo-mo,

Well ya know, that's about the only way to demonstrate how a technique works, and that there video is a demonstration.   It could also be done with fast/slow camera technology, like the video below.

as if, the enemy in real life, will also move in "slo-mo".

Speed is everything, I don't see anyone of those gurus training reaction, reflexes and automatism. Which takes years upon years of practice.

That's true, but starting slow is precisely how you build those automatic reactions and reflexes, and over the years you go faster and faster.  It is not a fight, the attacker is giving a 'gift' to the defender by giving him an opportunity to practice the technique without resisting it as if he knew what the technique is, which is cheating!  In fact when beginners try to go fast it is more difficult to keep from damaging the other ... and as they say ... "if you break your practice partner you do not get a new one".

For example that gentle push against the ribs could be done faster, but the teachers don't even want the dweebs to know that.  You know, the fundamentalists say things are only done one way.  Instead of a push it could be a short range explosive strike, a fajin, a one inch punch, which can actually start at the surface of the other's body and be used to break their ribs, squish their lungs, or pop their heart.  I think Mr. Cohen is quite capable of fajin.

Like this, it's good to have the sound turned up for this one so you can hear the amazing background sounds of nature:  https://youtu.be/r03Avhb74xY

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lifeforce said:

I don't know ...

It's ok, others will realize you were mistaken about the self defense part.  Concerning your other posts in this thread, it's perfectly fine to rail against human nature, it shows that there is hope.  Your other posts and threads railing against the forum rules and the moderators are also perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, GSmaster said:

It just never works on full speed.

Ah, well you see, don't say never.  Sometimes it works very well, and I feel certain that what Mr. Cohen is demonstrating is very effective, you know, with the certainty that comes from experience.

You are certainly right about the other 99% of it, particularly the weapons stuff.  Even many police are being taught disarm methods which are not so safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lifeforce said:

Don't ever go to this guy for self-defence classes.

It's no wonder he has disabled the comment section.

i admire these two oldsters. keep on slugging, i bow to you guys

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GSmaster said:

It just never works on full speed.

I really like Cohen for Zhan Zhuang.

But yeah, I frequently roll eyes at the slow mo "applications" from a great many teachers, which are ludicrous usually.
I remember I was a short 13 year old when my schools gigantic violent swimming instructor demonstrated on me what it was like to be choked by an anxious swimmer, during a sea rescue drill.  He put me in a nelson choke hold and asked me to get out of it.  
Actually I reached up and ripped his little finger out and got straight out.
Ha, fuck you.   ( this is generally my attitude )
He was about twice my height and 3 times my weight.
Then he did it again, this time concealing is fingers.

But ...
I think very few people practicing these arts actually intend to become fighters, do they ?   Fighting is damn dangerous, you could die any second.   Few people are really intending to fight.   So the "applications" are a way of introducing some feeling at least of facing another person, it has some small merit.

And in terms of who is better at killing, MMA vs TaiChi ?
Well what about MMA vs TaiChi vs Submachine gun ?

So ... shall we all head down the riffle range and forget about these Chinese Arts ?
I think they have a lot of value, but learning to kill perhaps is not the main point.

Internal development is the main point.

The relationship between good internal development and real fighting skill and art ... is an open question.

For instance you can learn to kill in MMA, like a meathead, and then what ?   
And what are you going to do in the pub if someone spills your pint, are you going to wrap your legs around them and sit on their face in the middle of the pub whilst you try to organise an armbar ?
Somehow it's not going to look cool.
And it doesn't mean you develop your dantien does it, or enter immortality.

A lot of those teachers up there are total morons its true.

Another thing is the huge negativity humans vomit on each other, it's like a fashion the whole species has adopted.  How to hate each other professionally.

It's hard to continue with what you are doing when people are queuing up to tell you it's no good, that you are stupid, that it would never work etc...
Really it's not good.

People should do what they want to do, who knows what they can find in any arts.
It's up to you to make it happen.

Why do people do things that are not good for them ?

Why haven't they developed their own intuitive sense of life, of what is good and bad, or worthwhile, all based on their own experience of reality ?

Answer : probably because since they were born they encountered a humanity queuing up to tell them off, tell them right and wrong ... and after a while they just gave up using their own intelligence.

Edited by rideforever

5 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

i admire these two oldsters. keep on slugging, i bow to you guys

agreed. At least they’re moving around and putting in some effort, and still able to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this