茶rlie

Newbie says hi

Hello! My name is Charlie and I'm a 15 year old student from Sweden. I first began reading about Taoism a couple of years ago when we learnt about different religions in school. I was intrigued by the philosophy and wanted to find out more. I come from a Christian family and it's been very difficult for me to express my beliefs without being shut down, which is why I wanted to seek out a place where I can connect with other Taoists / non-Christians in general.

I guess I have a couple of questions that I haven't really been able to find answers to, so if any of you would be willing to help me out it would be great :)

1. I'm as white as it gets. I know you can be a Taoist without being Chinese, but I still feel like by practising Taoism I'm appropriating Chinese culture in some way. Is that true or am I worrying over nothing?

2. What do I need to practise in order to call myself a Taoist? I know there are certain things such as not eating meat, grains or beans (which I already don't), practising qiqong and tai chi but from what I've learnt those are merely optional. Obviously following the Tao Te Ching is essential, which I am to my best abilities. But is there anything else that I need to do?

3. There is not a single Taoist temple near me. I don't even think there are any in my country. I'm planning on moving out of Sweden as soon as possible anyway, so that might not be a problem in a couple of years, but what can I do in the meantime to learn more about Taoism besides going on the internet? It would be nice to get some real-life training as well as connect with other Taoists.

I'm terribly sorry if I've gotten anything wrong, as I said I come from a Christian family so I'm very uninformed compared to lots of you I'm sure. I hope you're having a nice day 🌼

• Like 1

Hello, 茶rlie, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi Charlie,

Welcome.  I'll take a stab at your questions, but I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be along shortly:

1. Taoism is found in your heart, doesn't matter what nationality or race you are. 

2. I would say that is enough, and yes the diet stuff is optional. Again, Taoism is more inside of you.

3. I think signing up here is a great way to interact with the teachings. I've learned a lot from the forum here.

I hope you enjoy!

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin 

Tja! 

Strunta i maten. Vissa munkar/präster är vegetarianer, men det är inte nödvändigt i sig. 

Frågan är: Vill du ha en daoistiskt identitet eller vill du träna dig till att se verkligheten på ett annat sätt? 

Du kommer att märka att vi inte är överens om någonting här 🤪

Or, for short, Welcome to the bums! 

• Like 1