Sign in to follow this  
Mig

Lao-Zi Xiang-Er Commentary

I wonder where I can find in this forum more about this commentary or if any English translation. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks

Have you seen this?

On 4/26/2017 at 4:07 AM, dawei said:

I think it depends on the type of sage you're referring to.  Would we say that Shamans were sages too ?   Or Buddha's who choose to remain within the world to help mankind?

The sage follows heaven and earth in viewing without partiality the arising/returning of the dualistic world.   That is like universal mind at work.  The subset of the local mind understands the manifest life and how people do not understand the universal mind truth.    The sage can bridge the local and universal understanding of mind.

I've long wanted to research this further and maybe we can.  I've mentioned it before and recall it was the Celestial Master's commentary on LZ that talks about it.  So it was easier to google and get one link for now:

http://bhoffert.faculty.noctrl.edu/TEACHING/REL275/CelestialMasters.html

How do I quote a thread?

Forming Spirits for the Way: The Cosmology of the Xiang'er Commentary to the Laozi MICHAEL PUETT

Becoming Laozi: Cultivating and Visualizing Spirits in Early Medieval China - Michael Puett

Early Daoist Scriptures - Stephen R. Bokenkamp (JSTOR)

Early Daoist Scriptures - Stephen R. Bokenkamp

Celestial Masters History and Ritual in Early Daoist Communities Terry F. Kleeman

Edited by KuroShiro
  • Like 1

Bokenkamp's book has a translation but it is on the surviving chapters.   Many other translations in the book as well at 500 pages.

Sign in to follow this