steve

The Book Club That Can Be Named Is Not The True Book Club...

A few folks have mentioned interest in renaming this thing I called a book club.

Pietro suggested House of Great Mystery and House of Great Pure, although those suggestions were made in reference to the possible division into two, more specialized, book forums. They're still great names!

I'm open to anything.

Please make any suggestions you like and after a week or so we can decide if it's worth bothering Sean to rename us. If a couple of good names come up we can put a poll together or use some other method... Pietro? ;)

I like "book club". :)

If it gets changed, it should still be a name that recognizably (to a newbie) says what this is.

Just Bookclub. Short, sweet, simple and understandable.

I ordered the Eva Wong book, looks pretty interesting...

Best and thanks for organizing this!

Matt

A few folks have mentioned interest in renaming this thing I called a book club.

Pietro suggested House of Great Mystery and House of Great Pure, although those suggestions were made in reference to the possible division into two, more specialized, book forums. They're still great names!

I'm open to anything.

Please make any suggestions you like and after a week or so we can decide if it's worth bothering Sean to rename us. If a couple of good names come up we can put a poll together or use some other method... Pietro? ;)

Hi xuesheng,

Yes, definitly for a decision so important (I mean we won't change the name every other month, right?) we should go with the good old Condercet. It would go in two steps: 1) listing all the names that we suggest.

2) every one who desire to participate lists the names in the orders in which they like them.

Then I (or whoever wants to do it) take all the data, run the software (a small python program), and print the result, and why the resulting name is first. Of course if someone likes only some name she can just list the ones that she find attractive. The others will be given automatically a last position.

Regarding the name, I can think if I can come up with a better proposal. I think that the issue that it have to be understandable is an understandable worry, but it can be clarified with a small subtitle.

House of the Great Mystery

tao bum book club

The names I proposed were thought as a duality. This is why they looked so nice in my eyes.

I appreciate your investigation into how often should we read the books. I have to admit I am still not convinced that the club will not split under the wight of its internal dynamic. I mean, if before it was harsh to not read a book that you are not interested in, now it would mean jumping two whole months.

And then for the people who are not interested they would probably start reading the book they are interested in, and then discuss it in the Main Forum. Which looks unavoidable, but confusing as well.

So I would suggest to wait a few more months to assign the name, until we find out what kind of books are we going to read. What level of discussion is going to happen. And then, I am sure the names will just happen by itself. Like the two names that so much enthralled cat. I didn't went out to look for them. I was thinking about the book club while driving, and thinking how it seemed to polarise, and buum, that's how it should be named!.

Let's wait for the next intuition from one of us. I am sure when one of us have a good idea we all will recognise it.

I'm thinking Revenge of the Book Club or perhaps Son of the Book Club

maybe 'The Book Club that used to be called Book Club but is now called something else' the possiblities are endless B)

M.

maybe 'The Book Club that used to be called Book Club but is now called something else' the possiblities are endless B)

M.

Son of the Book Club?

The Book Club Returns.

M.

What is the Name of this Book Club?

or taking xuesheng's suggestion

The Book Club that can't be Named

M.

Or perhap The Book Club - Episode I (leaving room for subsequent book clubs, of course).

I definitely and very much like Pietro's suggestions the best. I would definitely NOT like the book club to be pedestrian in nomenclature. that would be a disapointment.

IF we are not to have Pietro's inspired amd inspiring idea, then I suggest a name of a different hue :

Bum Readings

:)

Bum Readings -- like unlucky palm readings? :lol:

How about

Kanshu ("read a book")?

Bum Readings -- like unlucky palm readings? :lol:

How about

Kanshu ("read a book")?

I say call it.

"The book club which is named: "unnamed"

Ironic how there is more activity in discussing names and what to read next than there is on covering current book now in play for 4 days.

Craig