Lazgrane

Strengthening the Blood

Posted (edited)

It's not about choosing one over another...my point was not to advocate the Western Carpenters approach, or the TCM, or the Ayurvedic, or the...

My sharing is that through experience I realize that the front maintained by medical approaches that they have full understanding is just that... a front and that my relationship to the entire approach has softened in its innate trust.  I used to really trust what doctors said.  Like you said, go to two and get two different answers.  Now I realize that doctors are at the behest of the information they had to absorb to get their degrees and this is not full data.

So I've about let go of Western approach for prevention and understanding and come to not innately trust what any person says.  I consult them, but not innately trust whatever is offered.  In the West, they excel at trauma and injury, I don't hesitate to go to them when injured.  But the compartmentalization and the Cartesian Materialistic view of the human body system seems woefully inept at this point in addressing and understanding the underlying principles of long term disease. 

The fluid human body is not a motorcycle that can be taken apart and replaced when it comes to disease, the way it can when injuries are endured.

Edited by silent thunder
grammar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Western medicine is great at treating symptoms and caring for trauma and physical damage, ie carpentry and surgical repair.

As for prevention and true understanding, I've about let go of Western med approach entirely.

You ain't just a woofin!

I've had the same doctor for about 30 yrs. Finally got tired of trying to find one that made sense. Only go once a year to satisfy the managed care plans annual wellness check.

Otherwise, I have a great TCM practitioner to help with everything else. Have found that if I exercise right and maintain guardian qi i do pretty well.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

It's not about choosing one over another...my point was not to advocate the Western Carpenters approach, or the TCM, or the Ayervedic, or the...

My sharing is that through experience I realize that the front maintained by medical approaches that they have full understanding is just that... a front and that my relationship to the entire approach has softened in its innate trust.  I used to really trust what doctors said.  Like you said, go to two and get two different answers.  Now I realize that doctors are at the behest of the information they had to absorb to get their degrees and this is not full data.

So I've about let go of Western approach for prevention and understanding and come to not innately trust what any person says.  I consult them, but not innately trust whatever is offered.  In the West, they excel at trauma and injury, I don't hesitate to go to them when injured.  But the compartmentalization and the Cartesian Materialistic view of the human body system seems woefully inept at this point in addressing and understanding the underlying principles of long term disease. 

Oh, I see, and agree. People who know are a dime a dozen.

The fluid human body is not a motorcycle that can be taken apart and replaced when it comes to disease, the way it can when injuries are endured.

Yet we can replace a human heart which was damaged by a virus and keep the fluidity going. It is just easier to understand motorcycles because we created motorcycles and Heaven created humans, so our bodies are more difficult to understand.

Edited by Song of the Dao
  • Like 1

"The worst thing that ever happened to healthcare was it became an industry."

- Anonymous

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OldDog said:

- Anonymous

Sadly true.

It seems that while the industry that is American healthcare will do what it can to treat you, it will extract as much cash as possible in the process.

The American healthcare industry to me seems financially predatory in nature.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

The American healthcare industry to me seems financially predatory in nature.

Never heard it expressed in such strong terms ... but, yeah, I have to agree.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OldDog said:

- Anonymous

"The worst thing that ever happened to spirituality was it became an industry."

-Song of the Dao

Edited by Song of the Dao

1 hour ago, Song of the Dao said:

The worst thing that ever happened to spirituality was it became an industry.

Could be ... but I don't  have to depend on anyone to be spiritual. ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2019 at 1:39 AM, Lazgrane said:

I read that Qi and Blood are closely connected to one another. Qi is responsible for moving blood and ensuring that it does not get stuck and stagnate in the vessels. Meanwhile Blood nourish Qi and provide a solid anchor to keep it from floating away.

There are numerous pratices concerning the Qi, but are there any method or pratices concerning the Blood?

How could one strengthen his Blood?

—Disclaimer—
I am generally cautious about giving direction on the forum regarding bodily and health practices generically: this is because people are comprised in unique and specific ways, and it is important not to act concertedly and specifically upon generic understandings and thus become potentially reckless towards yourself through ignorance… too often I see people attesting on this forum and clients coming to me with mental and physical injury resulting from careless, unconscious and incomplete understanding of health and lifestyle practices. So this is a brief answer intended to give insight rather than provide direct instruction. Examples are given for reference, not as a form of medical advice.

———

As with all levels of Taoist practices- be this from the physical body to the spirit, appropriate purification and tonification are necessary in all areas and at all levels of existence. The more holistic your understanding and approach, the more healthfully complete and deep the effect.

PURIFICATION of Blood
To simplify, make sure you are cleansing your blood: at the most essential level through bringing shen into the blood, and at the most coarse end of that spectrum through dietary/ medicinal consumption and healthful movement.

Examples*:
Shen- through reconnecting with one’s yuan shen, to making connection with the little shen (hun) of the liver in meditation and guiding this consciousness in to the body.

Dietary- some options could be organic dark leafy greens, algae, foods or medicines that act upon the liver as a detoxifier such as astragulus, milk thistle and dandelion root. From a Taoist perspective, foods which are green and bitter; so as to astringe the liver.  (Note: if you run deficient and cold or have poor and weak digestion, then make sure the plants have been warmed and cooked before consumption, as green plants run etherically cold and can imbalance a system in states of xu [deficiency]. Also note that in this case, by medicinal, I mean any concentrated form of a natural substance, such as an extract.)

Movement- breathing and physical practices which open up the flow of the body from energetically/ meridian-based to physically. This can be engaged practices like yoga and stretching, dry brushing; or passive things such as receiving meridian-based massages like tui na or shiatsu. Breath breath breath and learn to pair breath with movement.

TONIFICATION of Blood
To simplify, make sure you are building your blood: at the most essential level through harnessing qi and at the most coarse end of that spectrum through dietary/medicinal consumption and healthful movement.

Examples*:
Qi- harnessing this through internal or external alchemy will help to fortify the materiality of the blood. Again, principles of dietary, movement and consciousness apply to the methods of gathering qi. If you cannot identify or understand what you are doing in your qi gong or tai chi practice then you can begin having a better sense by focusing gathering practices (which usually involve grasping  movements), and tonifying practices (which usually involve pumping movements). Practices along the Liver channel are particularly beneficial when dealing with issues of the blood.

Dietary- any form of warm, pre-processed qi, particularly those metabolized by other large warm animals- including pig, sheep, and bovine. Dang Shen or cordynopsis root; ren shen or red ginseng; and gou ti zhi or wolfberries (goji) are all herbs listed in the canon of herbal Classics. (Be conscientious that if your dosha is imbalanced toward kapha or your system overweight heavy and sluggish, then these might be cloying and are not generally advised. To be safe, consult with a TCM herbalist to determine what herb is best for your issues. Be aware that most Chinese herbal medicine is not prescribed as a single herb, but in formulas to balance effects of the herbs themselves and so that they are also working in concert with your personal body composition and issues.)

Movement- strength training- particularly to increase vessel tone, deep powerful breathing exercises, and rooted full movement can increase the quality of strength in purified blood. (Do not train in excess to where you are straining yourself and causing physical harm or simply building generic mass. Blood- in itself or as qi; needs strong, clear and healthful space to move and coarse; poor forms of body mass density and further injury will only hinder this process.)

*At all times, make sure you are not eating, dosing, moving or doing deep cultivation practices based on generic ideas of what is healthful that you simplistically read from websites, books, or just because it works for someone else who isn’t you, etc.,. You must understand and be in connection to YOUR body and know how YOUR body works or doesn’t work. Do not just follow dietary, medicinal and lifestyle suggestions mindlessly (such as from faith only or incomplete information), from immature drives (such as for power, even ‘Taoist or martial' power) or based from fears (such as anger about your life condition, worry about your health, etc.,)

Be clear   Seek appropriate, specific and healthful guidance.

And because this is an excellent fundamental question to what it is we are specifically addressing, and so that you realize what is blood and qi consciously and not as simply a theory or romantic notion and then proceed to try and affect it without realizing what it is, I have provided a basic answer to the following question to be paired with this post:

On 4/12/2019 at 10:36 AM, rideforever said:

Can anyone experience the blood ?
Can anyone experience qi rising from the blood ?

And say something about it to help us also experience it ?

Yes, the easiest most basic way to experience this is to do a concentrated amount of cardiovascular movement over a condensed period of time. When you heart is pounding a strong healthy and slightly quick pace: stop. Notice that the sensation of the physical pumping through your veins and arteries is blood. Notice that the heat and feeling of expansion arising from the pumping of blood is qi coarsing through your body.

Experience this by being still and present in the body. Proceed by moving vigorously as suggested above. Then coming back into present, still awareness of your body in the invigorated state while bringing your consciousness in discernment.

And of course yes, there are most subtle ways to experience the essentially of your system and its subtle functions and manifestations at rest, but this takes deeper body and meditative cultivative awareness, which can come through deep learning and practice.

Happy Qi and Blood to All!

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1