Abzu

anyone else gets this?

I cannot be the only individual here who gets worried they might not breathe correctly, and then breathes incorrectly because of this. I say this in the context of daily life, not seated meditation. 

• Like 1

Breath happens unawares, until we think about it.  Which breaks the rhythm a bit, but not biggie.

Bidden or not, breath happens. 

Nothing to worry about, I've found the benefit of practicing long breath cycles, 30, 45, 60 seconds, is one, it calms the mind nicely.  Two it tends to make your normal breath cycle a bit longer.  In Ki-Aikido we'd practice a long 60 second breath cycle; clap breath in slowly, clap breath out..  These days I like yogic patterns that are 1-4-2, like breath in 8 seconds, hold for 32, breath out (I humm out) for 16, repeat. 

2 hours ago, Abzu said:

I cannot be the only individual here who gets worried they might not breathe correctly, and then breathes incorrectly because of this. I say this in the context of daily life, not seated meditation. 

Needless worry, friend. You are hard-wired to breathe barring significant trauma that interrupts the connection.

You're going to be ok. :)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Abzu said:

Probably most don't worry about such things.

Used to run cross country as a teenager...typically we'd  jog up to 5 miles a day in practice. 

During the jog, it was nice to find someone running about your speed and just talk as the miles passed by.

In the Army we used to  sing cadences as the unit ran during pt in the early mornings. 

Interesting enough in posting  I could find no studies that support my belief that the cadences helped people to find 

whats called rhythmic breathing.  Regardless, as I remember the units ran for quite a long ways with little effort when calling out the jody calls. 

The same can be accomplished in running through rhythmic breathing. You achieve centeredness first by focusing your mind on fitting your breathing to an optimal foot strike pattern. Then your awareness of breathing links mind and body and creates a smooth pathway to gauging the effort of running. Rhythmic breathing helps you feel your running, and that ability to feel your running allows you immediate and precise control.  https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20822091/running-on-air-breathing-technique/

In teaching taiji, some ask about the breathing. I always stress the breath out of the body,.  The body will take care of the breath in...let the understanding come natural dont force it...

Edited by windwalker

On 3/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Abzu said:

The mind and breath are related. Mind gets disturbed, the breath reflects that. Make the breath disturbed, the mind will reflect that.

Or calm the mind, and the breath will calm. So, you're right that worrying about this will cause it to happen.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:21 PM, Abzu said:

At some level it means that you are at least paying attention.

Not a bad thing.

Notice you are paying attention, and take a nice, deep breath.

Let go and move on

You know how to breath, you're just too much in your head in that moment

• Like 2

thank you for the reassuring replies. I wanted to see if this was a part of all processes or just something I am experiencing. It is an ego issue, being too concerned about nothing

All thoughts about breathing incorrectly arise from misconception.

Body produces co2, which is needed to absorb oxygen.

If you will breathe fast and deep, you will deplete co2 reserves, creating an oxygen starvation and stress shock for the brain.

So best way to breath is just natural.

You can be concerned about air quality though, like I got air cleaner stuff.

On 2019-03-19 at 2:36 AM, windwalker said:

In the Army we used to  sing cadences as the unit ran during pt in the early mornings. 

Interesting enough in posting  I could find no studies that support my belief that the cadences helped people to find 

whats called rhythmic breathing.  Regardless, as I remember the units ran for quite a long ways with little effort when calling out the jody calls. 

Singing will make you use your vocal chords and diaphragm. That will enable the Vagus nerve, 

Result: Your heart will work more efficiently and your sense of strain will decrease.