qofq

Bliss in hands and feet

Requesting feedback on some new development in my practice.  I feel a little embarrassed about the timeline, but after seven years or so of consistent practice I'm noticing a very consistent and distinct/intense feeling of bliss all the way to my hands and feet.  Especially in my hands and feel but throughout the entire body also.  

I assume this is good =) 

Looking for any guidance or insights by those who've traveled further along the path.  

Is there a name for this?  

What further signposts might indicate advancement?

Etc.

Thanks.  

Edited by qofq
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, qofq said:

Requesting feedback on some new development in my practice.  I feel a little embarrassed about the timeline, but after seven years or so of consistent practice I'm noticing a very consistent and distinct/intense feeling of bliss all the way to my hands and feet.  Especially in my hands and feel but throughout the entire body also.  

I assume this is good =) 

Looking for any guidance or insights by those who've traveled further along the path.  

Etc.

Thanks.  

Yes it is good. It is a sign of sung (release of tensions and traumas held in the body).

With time this will become like a feeling of soft rain/mist all over your body, 

Do you get the feeling of something constantly under the skin? Feels like how it might, to have silk or soft cotton under the skin? 

yes I do have the feeling of something under the skin, though I would say it's like a flowing liquid bliss or an aliveness.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qofq said:

I assume this is good =) 

Etc.

Thanks.  

try reading Tao and Longevity

when the qi gets very strong - it's described as ants crawling all over the body - and also full body bliss that is - orgasmic or sensual.

Serotonin lies at the intersection of pain and itch | Science News

Nov 11, 2014 - Serotonin may help relieve pain, but it also causes itch. ... elbows, the backs of the knees, and on the hands and face, accompanied by terrible itching. ... There are more than a dozen receptors for it, each performing different ..

So the vagus nerve activation increases the serotonin levels

he describes the full body orgasm that occurs - it rains down from the top center of the skull - as the body fills with qi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qofq said:

I would say it's like a flowing liquid bliss or an aliveness.

Its a good sign. 

See if you can discover the actual sensations - rather than the phenomenon...

what I mean is something like ‘gentle expanding warmth’ is sensory, but ‘bliss’ might be the mental phenomenon that describes this sensation.

A sensation is something that your skin might understand... a phenomenon is something only your mind would understand...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, qofq said:

I assume this is good =) 

Etc.

Thanks.  

It might be heaven qi (tian qi, 天氣) , that you are experiencing, if you prefer that explanation. When describing and working with energies I personally find the chakra system most useful. in which case it might be crown (chakra) energy. I say that it might be, because many of the energies that one experiences in meditation could be described as "blissful" in feeling. The more determining factor is the origination of the energy. Crown energy (Upper Dan Tien) generally feels like it is coming from above and begins in the head then travels down through out the body, it has a pleasurable electrical like feel, generally starts slowly and intensifies.

Another blissful feeling sort of energy is that of the heart center, (Middle Dan Tien) or inner smile. It originates in the chest, and generally doesn't move from that position without an effort. By effort I mean that the controller is actually moving it around to new locations (especially at first). This sort of energy feels like love.

Now, if you can feel the MDT (middle dan tien, heart chakra), energy in your head (feeling it (heart energy) at every location in the body firstly), then you can move on to combining the UDT (upper dan tien, crown, heavenly qi) energy with the MDT energy and the heart energy courses through the body alongside the heavenly qi. Which could be described as a flood of blissful electrical love.

To do that you just have to practice feeling heart energy everywhere, then you feel it at the starting point and the locations of the heavenly qi when it is being manifested or channeled.

Edited by maheosphet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, maheosphet said:

Now, if you can feel the MDT (middle dan tien, heart chakra), energy in your head (feeling it (heart energy) at every location in the body firstly), then you can move on to combining the UDT (upper dan tien, crown, heavenly qi) energy with the MDT energy and the heart energy courses through the body alongside the heavenly qi. Which could be described as a flood of blissful electrical love.

To do that you just have to practice feeling heart energy everywhere, then you feel it at the starting point and the locations of the heavenly qi when it is being manifested or channeled.

"blissful electrical love"  sounds about right, thought I don't know that I'm "doing" anything but the most slight awareness movement. 

and I've noticed when I shift mentally and subtly to begin the act of sensing it,  Then say I put my awareness into my elbow, It feels as though this blissful sensation flows past into the end of whatever limb.  If I keep my awareness in the abdomen, it flows into the end of EVERY limb and results in increased (as in more intense than the already present full body sensation) of "blissful electrical love" at the hands and feet.

Most of what I've been taught centers around non-doing.  But this is a new and consistent phenomena so I'm very curious about it's significance as a signpost.  I also like to talk here more anonymously as so as not disturb my fellow classmates.  Thanks.

• Like 2

The next "step" is really up to you. There are many options, from exploring all the centers and discovering all the energies or practicing with the ones you currently have awareness of or even just continuing to meditate and see what comes of it on its own. Personally, I would work with the heart center and become adept with that energy then if inner-fire manifests while doing that, begin practicing that energy.

1 minute ago, maheosphet said:

The next "step" is really up to you. There are many options, from exploring all the centers and discovering all the energies or practicing with the ones you currently have awareness of or even just continuing to meditate and see what comes of it on its own. Personally, I would work with the heart center and become adept with that energy then if inner-fire manifests while doing that, begin practicing that energy.

How do you mean "practicing that energy"?   

Well, if it isn't against your principles or precepts, of course, I mean that you move it around and cultivate it (intensify it).

When you discover a center, a persons awareness is at the location of that center to experience it. By remembering that feeling one can move awareness to a new location of the body and feel that feeling at the new location by remembering and recalling the feeling they felt at the original location.

Inner-fire for example, starts as a tiny flicker of light in the middle dan tien, but by practicing it, the tiny flicker can become a fireball that encompasses the entire body. Tummo for example.

Edited by maheosphet
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, maheosphet said:

Well, if it isn't against your principles or precepts, of course, I mean that you move it around and cultivate it (intensify it).

When you discover a center, a persons awareness is at the location of that center to experience it. By remembering that feeling one can move awareness to a new location of the body and feel that feeling at the new location by remembering and recalling the feeling they felt at the original location.

Inner-fire for example, starts as a tiny flicker of light in the middle dan tien, but by practicing it, the tiny flicker can become a fireball that encompasses the entire body. Tummo for example.

Do you suppose there is significant difference between post and pre-heaven energies and their practice with regards to what you're saying?

15 hours ago, qofq said:

I assume this is good =) 

Etc.

Thanks.  

Very cool !!!

You are feeling the end-points or turn-around points in the meridian flow of energy (Qi);  Six meridians run through the hands and six run through the feet... 

I might encourage you to start focusing on some lines of choice, and then find the middle points for energy sensation.  Some acupressure might help to just sense certain areas but not that necessary.  

or maybe focus on the seven chakra energy sources and see if you feel them ?

You have lots to explore and wishing you happy energy travels :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dawei said:

Very cool !!!

You are feeling the end-points or turn-around points in the meridian flow of energy (Qi);  Six meridians run through the hands and six run through the feet... 

I might encourage you to start focusing on some lines of choice, and then find the middle points for energy sensation.  Some acupressure might help to just sense certain areas but not that necessary.  

or maybe focus on the seven chakra energy sources and see if you feel them ?

You have lots to explore and wishing you happy energy travels :)

I really appreciate your encouraging words.  Thanks

By "find the middle points for energy sensation"  I'm curious what you mean by "Middle"  ?

23 minutes ago, qofq said:

Do you suppose there is significant difference between post and pre-heaven energies and their practice with regards to what you're saying?

Of course! Here is a good explanation to what you are asking : https://www.tinyatdragon.com/blogs/spiritual/pre-heaven-and-post-heaven-in-taoism

You go from preparing the foundation for work, to actually working.

Edited by maheosphet

1 minute ago, qofq said:

I really appreciate your encouraging words.  Thanks

By "find the middle points for energy sensation"  I'm curious what you mean by "Middle"  ?

I hate to get too technical so you can say where to dial it back...

There are 12 meridian lines and each has special points; one can press them and sense pain in most cases instead of sensing energy. That is generally because there is energy blockages or need for better flow.   While this is good therapy, to sense Qi it is better to do Qigong exercises.  Taiji is the best established movements but can take a long time to feel anything.   So I'll skip over my personal experience there.

In Chinese energy, the heart is considered the General that directs and controls everything (in energy)... but one may not feel it.  There are but two meridians through the heart (HT and PC), then why is the heart the General ?  Because to get through any meridian, you must get through them ALL...  so eventually, you do get through the heart on all ;)  [spoiler that I just semi shared a Taiji experience].

I once taught a lady on a flight how to feel energy in her hands and we played with energy sensations...  so I'll just share an idea similar:

Breath really slowly and deeply. like it takes about 8-10 seconds to inhale and exhale... it should feel stable... then focus on the palm of your hand.   See the palm as a source of energy and outlet... and smile... after a minute, now smile at the palm from your heart for a minute?  Your palm and heart are not two things, they are one thing joined...  Does your heart energy arise in feeling? That is the middle idea.  

• Like 1

Of course! Here is a good explanation to what you are asking : https://www.tinyatdragon.com/blogs/spiritual/pre-heaven-and-post-heaven-in-taoism

You go from preparing the foundation for work, to actually working.

Pre and post have no real difference except in our dualistic mind application of life.    Once we get behind the curtain that divides them... we see they are the same thing.   Until then, they will always be different, called pre and post to the mind...  Drop every label you can, yet understanding how to apply labels in the mind field.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dawei said:

Breath really slowly and deeply. like it takes about 8-10 seconds to inhale and exhale... it should feel stable... then focus on the palm of your hand.   See the palm as a source of energy and outlet... and smile... after a minute, now smile at the palm from your heart for a minute?  Your palm and heart are not two things, they are one thing joined...  Does your heart energy arise in feeling? That is the middle idea.  

Good explanation

4 minutes ago, dawei said:

Pre and post have no real difference except in our dualistic mind application of life.    Once we get behind the curtain that divides them... we see they are the same thing.   Until then, they will always be different, called pre and post to the mind...  Drop every label you can, yet understanding how to apply labels in the mind field.    

I think the question was in regards to practice techniques and current levels. Pre-heaven is sitting in meditation, calming thoughts, controlling breathing, relaxing. Post-heaven is when sensations and energies begin to manifest to work with.

Edited by maheosphet
  • Like 1

I think the question was in regards to practice techniques and current levels. Pre-heaven is sitting in meditation, calming thoughts, controlling breathing, relaxing. Post-heaven is when sensations and energies begin to manifest to work with.

fair enough. thanks for the clarification :)

25 minutes ago, dawei said:

I once taught a lady on a flight how to feel energy in her hands and we played with energy sensations...  so I'll just share an idea similar:

Here is a simple test...

Once you feel your breathing is steady and slow and focused on a palm... lets say the left palm...  and smiling to engage the heart (or not, if you don't feel it, that is ok)...  then take your right hand index finger and very slowing move it around the left palm in a circle... focus now on the index finger projecting to the left palm as a singular connection...    Do you feel the circular energy movement in the left palm based on the right hand index finger ?

This is the Index finger (Large Intestine Meridian) reaching to the PC channel , 7 stages instead of all 12... but you passed through the heart at stage 3 for a boost !   remember to smile with the heart...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dawei said:

Here is a simple test...

Once you feel your breathing is steady and slow and focused on a palm... lets say the left palm...  and smiling to engage the heart (or not, if you don't feel it, that is ok)...  then take your right hand index finger and very slowing move it around the left palm in a circle... focus now on the index finger projecting to the left palm as a singular connection...    Do you feel the circular energy movement in the left palm based on the right hand index finger ?

This is the Index finger (Large Intestine Meridian) reaching to the PC channel , 7 stages instead of all 12... but you passed through the heart at stage 3 for a boost !   remember to smile with the heart...  

Thank you for sharing.  Great experiments and many things to perceive.  

I wonder about the correlation between what's called "internal strength"  (In my experience and in this reference, a increasingly powerful hydraulic like manifestation in the limbs) and sensations that you and freeform are talking about?  

Edited by qofq
  • Like 1

My best guess is that you’ve encountered your Qi. It can happen when your meditative practice is based around either stillness or following the breath. If you follow your breath back to its source you’ll happen onto Qi.

This isn’t the source yet - it’s a certain stage where you go past the manifestation of breath (physical breathing) to the underlying phenomenon of breath (the Qi) and then further to the source of breath.

Where to go from here?

Basically carry on :)

I suggest not using an emotional/mental interpretation (so using sensory information - pressure, temperature, texture etc. - rather than thoughts/feelings like ‘bliss’ and ‘love’ etc ) - because that can lead you down the wrong track.

If you’re interested in exploring the use of Qi for cultivation, then I’d suggest using Qigong as an added practice.

But I’d suggest not focusing on these sensations during your sitting practice - as again you’re likely to go down the wrong track. And you’re clearly gaining some ground with your practice already :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, qofq said:

Thank you for sharing.  Great experiments and many things to perceive.  

I wonder about the correlation between what's called "internal strength"  (In my experience and in this reference, a increasingly powerful hydraulic like manifestation in the limbs) and sensations that you and freeform are talking about?  

thanks for the follow up and am now reading freeform's comments which I do agree with.. which seems to suggest it is mental, sensory stuff... what I call, 'local mind' experience.    I was trying to give a step by step attempt to feel energy... next step is, I use my hand over your palm and you feel it.. then next is, I am remotely in another location and you can feel it still., etc...   

In the end, it is just seeking the feeling of it... we have to start somewhere... but as freeform suggests, it is not getting to the source of it, yet.

Our experience is usually from a local to remote one... and then more and more remote...  Eventually you can realize even there is no separation with the universe too...  

but I like what freeform says... carry on. 

BTW:  I don't do, and never have done sitting... Are you doing that because you feel lead to from a destiny point of view or because you read about doing it?   

10 hours ago, qofq said:

yes I do have the feeling of something under the skin, though I would say it's like a flowing liquid bliss or an aliveness.   

So funny you have described it spot on. The words you use are perfect. You truely are blessed. It is the lifeforce, aliveness, rejuvination. There are endless words, and you used the perfect most purest most original and authentic of them all. Liquid bliss. To describe the malleable nature of true reality. And aliveness to describe the essence of every single thing that is in creation, has ever been or shall ever will be. 

From a young age people are often (by good willing and well intentioned parents) taught to block their own aliveness of who they truely are, and they thus then disconnect from infinite intelligence. And after a while, the child begins to realise that the problem is death. This illusion causes one chase an exit, which the chase is actually unto itself is the entire prison and the reason for its own motivation. So while trying to solve death, one all the while becomes more dead. Less alife. And then when they die, they become fully alive again. 

Thus when you meditate, it is like consciously falling asleep. Which is similar to what the death experience is. Always FULL BLOWN CONSCIOUS AWARENESS. FULL ALIFENESS. NON-PHYSICAL FLOW SOURCE OF ALL CREATION. VIBRANT FIERY PASSIONATE POWERFUL ALIFENESS. ENERGY THAT CREATES WORLDS. EXCITEMENT. REJUVINATION. EVER REFRESHENING. FRESH! EVER NEW! EVER NOW AND EVER MORE AND EVER EXANDING! AND FREE AND FREE TO MOVE AND BE! AND ACT IN SPIRIT INSPIRED! That motion of all life AND ALL OF CREATION. Of all and infinite freedom. The hand of god. The eternal journey. Of bliss, rapturous extacy and evermore and more and more and more than all that will ever be known by us evermore. 

It is so liquid so loving. So free. So playful. So wise. So powerful. It is like a dao miaow. I'm at loss for words that's why! :lol:

We often feel like that when we appreciate the animals of our world. That alifeness it is why they are here. To always show us all the ways of being alife. Of becoming truth. Of flowing with the intention of God. Of infinite intelligence. Of being true freedom. And true naturalness. True innocence and true purist and true perfection and true alignment. It is nature. It is all that exists. And it flows through you all of the time. It is the energy of who you truely are. It flows through the path of least resistance at all times. For the benefit of you and everyone. This energy is everywhere, and when you meditate you let it in and you let it flow. You release all resistance towards it, and it naturally flows for you again. You do nothing and you leave nothing undone. You become part of all of creation again. Your life becomes like a surfer on a powerful tsunami, amidst endless billion of powerful tsunami's of well being. Gushing forth, expanding vibrant liquid joy of passions. It is the nature of all creation. You are here to flow this energy more fully to your object of attention and express it in anyway you so wish or want. There is unwavering success for you here. All that you can ever possibly choose for yourself is for the benefit of all, because you live, just for the joy of it. 

You can't do anything wrong, and you didn't come here to get it done. And so, since you are eternal. Enjoy. 

Edited by Everything
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dawei said:

Are you doing that because you feel lead to from a destiny point of view or because you read about doing it?   

That's a tricky question.  

And I talk to much as it is.  

Edited by qofq