Maddie

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I was searching this forum for anything on Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and was surprised to find nothing said about it. Does anyone have experience with this mantra? Lately I have found it to be pretty amazing. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dmattwads said:

I was searching this forum for anything on Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and was surprised to find nothing said about it. Does anyone have experience with this mantra? Lately I have found it to be pretty amazing. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences.

Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism---Lotus Sutra

Hare Krishna main mantra

Edited by moment

If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth and death you have endured since time without beginning and to attain without fail unsurpassed enlightenment in this lifetime, you must perceive the mystic truth that is originally inherent in all living beings. This truth is Myoho-renge-kyo. Chanting Myoho-renge-kyo will therefore enable you to grasp the mystic truth innate in all life.

- Nichiren

3 hours ago, moment said:

Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism---Lotus Sutra

Hare Krishna main mantra

Hare Krishna has absolutely zero connection.

10 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Talk about synchronicity !

This is a form of Buddhist cultivation which has intrigued me for years and something which recently started to be appearing in my life.

I did some research and have found that if you keep away from the sectarianism in Nichiren Buddhism and practice independently of any organisation, it is very much a great path for people to pursue. I have a gohonzon which I printed from the internet. 

The Lotus Sutra should be your first point of inquiry. It's very much a life-affirming form of Buddhism as opposed to say Pure Land practices, which tend to focus on the 'next life'. In fact, lots of religious beliefs and practices seem to put far too much stock into the afterlife and the concept of guilt, fear, shame and disengagement from actual living in the world.

There are many excellent free resources on the internet

There is a PDF online entitled "The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin" which is very good.

• Like 2

Also the daimoku 'Nam Myoho Renge Kyo' can be practiced as a silent mantra, regardless of what sectarian Nichiren Buddhists will tell you. 

Yes, it's good to have a formal practice in front of an altar and gohonzon which can be vocal, but to try and keep that meditative mindfulness throughout the day, an internal silent repetition can go a long way to deepen your faith, resolve, study and practice.

I have also sat in meditation with the daimoku. 

Edited by lifeforce

A lot of these modern Nichiren organisations such as Soka Gakkai use the chanting for materialistic purposes. Using the daimoku to chant for better jobs, cars, money etc. Rather like magick to try and manifest conditions to acquire 'things'.

Obviously, this is NOT Buddhist teachings.

If you trace it back to before Nichiren, Lotus Sutra Buddhism was not a standalone form, just like Pure Land. The Japanese reformers of Buddhism were from Tendai which has it's roots in Tientai in China which was a purely monastic movement.

It was Nichiren who brought Lotus Sutra Buddhism to the lay population.

This link could be of use. Although it is a Sokka Gakai source I think the translations of Nichirens writing could be of use to you. I don't have much experience with Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. I usually stayed away from it as it seemed weird to me and I disliked the chanting ofr wealth etc. I personally think Tara is way better. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miroku said:

I disliked the chanting ofr wealth etc. 

That was my point above. The teachings have been distorted by organisations such as SGI. 

If one was to cultivate authentic Nichiren Buddhism, and for that matter Tientai, one would have a complete system for enlightenment in this life.

5 hours ago, lifeforce said:

Hare Krishna has absolutely zero connection.

At 15 years of age (1967) I stayed with the Hare Krishna group that worked out of SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma) airport. I was with them for a week. (Homeless kid finding a place to flop for a while). They were constantly chanting that mantra. By far more than any other (except possibly "Hare Krishna") So apparently there was a lot more than zero connection.

I understand the mixing of Buddhism and Hinduism there.  I also know from experience the mixing of certain mantras among evolving (or some would say devolving organizations). I remember about the same time Scientologist supervisors, that walked around in black robes, with a big S hanging from their necks in place of a cross.

Yogi Bhajan mixed up Sikhism and Hinduism (Yes, that statement opens a can of worms). Yet, I must admit there was valuable (and very powerful) things to learn from Bhajan, as long as you were very careful.

You obviously have knowledge in certain areas. But, to summarily dismiss other people's statements, without getting context, is usually a mistake born of a certain type of arrogance.

Edited by moment

4 hours ago, moment said:

But, to summarily dismiss other people's statements, without getting context, is usually a mistake born of a certain type of arrogance.

That was not my intention sorry. I was just saying that the hare Krishna mantra has no connection to Nichiren Buddhism. They are two separate traditions and have nothing in common. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lifeforce said:

That was not my intention sorry. I was just saying that the hare Krishna mantra has no connection to Nichiren Buddhism. They are two separate traditions and have nothing in common. 

I appreciate that.  In hindsight, I was a little over the top and should have re-re-edited.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moment said:

I appreciate that.  In hindsight, I was a little over the top and should have re-re-edited.

No problem. Sometimes we get entrenched in our own views and will do anything to protect them. I'm as guilty as anyone in this regard.

To the OP :

I hope you have good fortune with your practice and that the links I provided will encourage you to inquire further. My own personal path lies in another direction, away from Buddhism, but if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 2

My father in law practices Nichiren. In Japan, Soka Gakkai is regarded with a great deal of suspicion. It is involved in politics, and there are rumours it uses it's practitioners as cash cows to fund further influence. I would stay away as much as possible from that organisation. Nichiren by itself is fairly innocuous, but I'm not sure I agree with a lot of the founder's ideas 

With all the free time I've had, I've had a lot of time to do a comparative study of many various practices and I think hands down Nam myoho renge kyo does it for me like no other.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, moment said:

At 15 years of age (1967) I stayed with the Hare Krishna group that worked out of SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma) airport. I was with them for a week. (Homeless kid finding a place to flop for a while). They were constantly chanting that mantra. By far more than any other (except possibly "Hare Krishna") So apparently there was a lot more than zero connection.

I understand the mixing of Buddhism and Hinduism there.  I also know from experience the mixing of certain mantras among evolving (or some would say devolving organizations). I remember about the same time Scientologist supervisors, that walked around in black robes, with a big S hanging from their necks in place of a cross.

Yogi Bhajan mixed up Sikhism and Hinduism (Yes, that statement opens a can of worms). Yet, I must admit there was valuable (and very powerful) things to learn from Bhajan, as long as you were very careful.

You obviously have knowledge in certain areas. But, to summarily dismiss other people's statements, without getting context, is usually a mistake born of a certain type of arrogance.

I practiced Kundalini yoga with the Sikhs for years here in town. It is one potent practice. Bhajan founded a community in Santa Cruz NM not too far North of Santa Fe that may still be in existence. 

• Thanks 2

In my experience: while the vibrational patterns of certain words when supported with real forms of internal power can produce effective change. I would like to mention that IMO it is always the work of attuning chakra to smooth out or clearing them from obstructions that causes the epiphany, and physical improvements (not some mystical words). For years I worked to vibrate my third eye, until it cleared out (no specific words involved), this was followed by a once in a lifetime visual of my 1000 petal lotus. 'Just sain'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have experience with non-SGI Nichiren? and if so what do you think?

Edited by dmattwads

On 4/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Vajra Fist said:

My father in law practices Nichiren. In Japan, Soka Gakkai is regarded with a great deal of suspicion. It is involved in politics, and there are rumours it uses it's practitioners as cash cows to fund further influence. I would stay away as much as possible from that organisation. Nichiren by itself is fairly innocuous, but I'm not sure I agree with a lot of the founder's ideas 

They don't tend to encourage meditation? is that correct? Don't they pretty much only chant Nam Myoho.... or is that an over simplification?

Thought I would bump this topic and see if there are people out there with experience with this mantra. I am not really interested in talking about SGI but other sects of Nichiren are fine. Mostly interested in the mantra itself and people's experiences with it. 

About a decade ago, I repeated this (mentally) while meditating. I was unemployed, and after a few weeks of NMRK, I got a job. Coincidence? Perhaps.....

I am also on the mailing list for Sanskrit Mantras, run by Thomas Ashley-Farrand's widow. She said that NMRK is good for clearing the 2nd chakra, but it not a good all-purpose mantra.