It seems a grounded energy that rises in a vortex and then whips out .... although you seem soft and flexible , almost 'weak' , I can imagine the applications  .... a thin steel  spring can seem floppy and weak .... until its 'whipped'  out  .

This 'whipping' motion and the movement rising from a firm foundation, up through the body to the extremities is one way of doing some of the techniques  that teacher taught . - very 'whippy' and 'flicky'   ( but not all his movements like that ) . . . especially his 'big toe' kick ;   ... urg, how to explain that .... sorta like a back hand roundhouse kick , you can see the muscles flex going up his leg,  the hips twitch , the leg whips  out and  back, the big toe has been driven into some 'pressure point' .

kosei.gif

Unfortunately I cant show this stuff here , its all different from what I do and it isnt on internet vids  ... Hakatsuru Crane form on internet vids is nothing like my version,  (nor is modern 'karate' like what I do either ) , 'Oshima Passai'  doesnt seem to exist anymore , those that do know it  seem to have no idea about its applications ( a growing trend with other forms ) .

About the only public film is an old one, and teacher is getting on a bit too ( I have  some private shot ones that show this a lot better ) but anyway , here is teacher doing 'Chinto'  a form introduced by the original teacher ( Bushi Matsamura)  of this lineage,  developed  from his  fight  with a Chinese pirate, who he could not defeat

from  1:55 

( Dang ... outa time again ! )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, mrpasserby said:

I enjoyed reading your new book, especially the part about dragons. If you remember we had posted a bit about dragons a while back. :)

Oh yes, I remember it well.  I really admire your knowledge about and ability to connect with dragons.  I wish I had more of that ability myself, so a priority lately has been to increase psychic ability.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:20 PM, Nungali said:

It seems a grounded energy that rises in a vortex and then whips out .... although you seem soft and flexible , almost 'weak' , I can imagine the applications  .... a thin steel  spring can seem floppy and weak .... until its 'whipped'  out  .

This 'whipping' motion and the movement rising from a firm foundation, up through the body to the extremities is one way of doing some of the techniques  that teacher taught . - very 'whippy' and 'flicky'  

Very good observations.  Another person described it as it needs more of what's called 'peng' which is like the solid within the yin, springiness.  The whippy word describes very well the principle of power generation in tai chi, particularly Chen tai chi, but for me it's accentuated, because:  remember in the description it says it has added black dragon flavor.  Well the black dragon is just about the most yin of the beings, the mystic, so whippy it is, very yielding.  The whippiness is also how you deliver explosive shocks of the physical kind to people in order to blow up organs and stuff.  The black dragon flavor comes from the way we learn to move in Tien Shan Chi Kung, which is a closely linked to the martial art, which is a most soft and yielding art.  It's so soft that the attacker feels nothing up until the last 'instant', if you know what I mean; and that instant usually comes a second or less after their attack starts.

It is so soft and yielding that the only thing an attacker may feel before that last instant is that the world gets pulled out from under their feet and they have no clue as to which way is up, stealing their balance.  I'm not so good at stealing balance because I don't get to practice, but it isn't really needed.  It's just a good way to make an attacker look like a complete jackass without hurting them too much.

It's like, about the time that the attacker expects his fist to hit your face they find that your face is only two inches from their face, to the side, with your hands around their neck ready for a neck break  .. or you could just go ahead and do the neck break with out waiting for the big TaaDaa moment, and then they wouldn't notice you were there by their side.  Or you could do a jedi mind fuck and end up right behind them, using bagua methods, with your fingers in their eyes.

I'm sure you can be creative and think of all the kinds of wonderful things you can do to someone when you are standing close behind them and they haven't quite figured out where you are yet.

Thank you for the video.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Very good observations.  Another person described it as it needs more of what's called 'peng' which is like the solid within the yin, springiness.

Good word !  'PENG ! "     should be used more often    :)

The whippy word describes very well the principle of power generation in tai chi, particularly Chen tai chi, but for me it's accentuated, because:  remember in the description it says it has added black dragon flavor.  Well the black dragon is just about the most yin of the beings, the mystic, so whippy it is, very yielding.  The whippiness is also how you deliver explosive shocks of the physical kind to people in order to blow up organs and stuff.

Mr Nishihira's teacher  ( Hohan Soken)  would use that 'whippiness (to) deliver explosive shocks of the physical kind to people '  s 'pressure points' ....  people  that thought they knew what they where  doing    ;)

like  @  6:00

The black dragon flavor comes from the way we learn to move in Tien Shan Chi Kung, which is a closely linked to the martial art, which is a most soft and yielding art.  It's so soft that the attacker feels nothing up until the last 'instant', if you know what I mean; and that instant usually comes a second or less after their attack starts.

It is so soft and yielding that the only thing an attacker may feel before that last instant is that the world gets pulled out from under their feet and they have no clue as to which way is up, stealing their balance.  I'm not so good at stealing balance because I don't get to practice, but it isn't really needed.  It's just a good way to make an attacker look like a complete jackass without hurting them too much.

It's like, about the time that the attacker expects his fist to hit your face they find that your face is only two inches from their face, to the side, with your hands around their neck ready for a neck break  .. or you could just go ahead and do the neck break with out waiting for the big TaaDaa moment, and then they wouldn't notice you were there by their side.  Or you could do a jedi mind fuck and end up right behind them, using bagua methods, with your fingers in their eyes.

my fav is in training  when I can  all of a sudden, unexpectedly , get my face  right net to theirs , off on the side, as soon as they realise, I then lean a little closer and   .....   " Hi there . "        :)    If they dot get it I give them a little nod ... if they dont get that, I give a slightly bigger nod and gently bump their nose with my forehead .   ... one time, a guy mistook my 'joke' as a hesitation and tried to get a head but in first .... I just nodded and he   ;  ,< both hands up to his head >  " Arrrgh  shit ! "    < instructor rushes over to him>  ;  " No no no ... dont try to head but someone  on the top of their head!:D

I'm sure you can be creative and think of all the kinds of wonderful things you can do to someone when you are standing close behind them and they haven't quite figured out where you are yet.

Then, at the end f training , you can hand them back their wallet .

Actually, I really did steal an instructors wallet once  :D    He got me to come around his dojo when no one there to teach him some stuff ( for free, which, no doubt he incorporated into his own paid curriculum  :rolleyes: ) and I noticed he had plastic hand guns on the weapon rack ; " Don;t tell me you been teaching the kids self defence against a hand gun ! "

'Yeah sure, go on ."

" Whaaat "

"Take one up and I will show you ."

"You cant be serious.... well, okay then . "  < takes up gun and points it at him from a distance >   "  Hand over your wallet ."

He takes it out and offers it in his hand ,  "No ...  drop it on the ground and then kick it across the ground over to me .. "  he does it and I pick it up while holding the 'gun' on him, then motion with it   'Now piss off. "  :D

But then he smirks   " Its only my 'going out wallet', just $50 in change and no cards . " 

" Yeah  ? "  <points gun at his kneecap >   "    BANG!  .... thats for being a smart arse . "

Ummmm   dude ... its a projectile weapon ... it doesnt have to be used at close quarters   :rolleyes:

Thank you for the video.

Yeah, it doesnt really depict what I meant though ... 'kata' is a weird beast ... is more on my private vids where  he is demonstrating actual technique .  He was also on a lot about the foot work and stance ; 'base'   ....   a firm base to 'tie the whip to' , he was always ; step, then grip ground with your toes .. always on about gripping ground with toes.  probably comes from his teacher , Mr Soken, who used to be told to train on floating log on pond , sometimes his teacher (Nabe Matsamura, nephew of Bushi ) would jump on the log with him and make him fight him .

"  These were hard times for the Matsumura family, who now made a living by farming alongside the peasants they once ruled. So training for the young Soken started early in the morning before going out to the fields, and then continued late into the night, after the day’s work had been done. Training was tough, and often brutal in the tradition of the old samurai’s. This training included balance training on slick banana leaves and on different levels and types of ground. Later kata’s and sparring was done on more dangerous floating logs and small rafts."

https://www.usadojo.com/hohan-soken-of-matsumura-seito-shorin-ryu-karate/

This old-school style has its origins in  white crane  .....  we should meet up and 'compare  notes'   one day  :)

me6549997-bas-relief-crane-dragon-hd-a03

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 3:15 AM, Pilgrim said:

I am 50% through the book at this point so I hope this is a worthy suggestion:

A Lineage of Dragons:

The story of a life journey from the mundane to the supra-normal,  a story of Masters and Pupils of the Mystical Life Force Martial Arts and beyond.

YEAH !   That was brief, to the point  and ....  'punchy' .  :)

Thats what we call 'the pitch'  or the hook , its gotta be  short quick and good .    Front cover stuff (down the bottom ) .

What Starjumper has been writing is more of an 'outline'  ... good for a back cover .

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:20 AM, Nungali said:
On 4/4/2019 at 11:15 AM, Pilgrim said:

I am 50% through the book at this point so I hope this is a worthy suggestion:

A Lineage of Dragons:

The story of a life journey from the mundane to the supra-normal,  a story of Masters and Pupils of the Mystical Life Force Martial Arts and beyond.

YEAH !   That was brief, to the point  and ....  'punchy' .  :)

Thats what we call 'the pitch'  or the hook , its gotta be  short quick and good .    Front cover stuff (down the bottom ) .

What Starjumper has been writing is more of an 'outline'  ... good for a back cover .

I'm very impressionable, you know, now I'm thinking you guys talked me into it.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, Nungali said:

This old-school style has its origins in  white crane  .....  we should meet up and 'compare  notes'   one day  :)

That will be a lot of fun, but go easy on me because I'm just a beginner.  I've seen and played with the best but I haven't had much chance to practice what I've learned in kung fu.

Gripping the floor with toes, yes to that, it something that surfaces naturally from chi kung.  I mean the chi kung trains it without your knowing, and then you do it when practicing tai chi and kung fu, also without knowing.  I'm a big fan of not knowing stuff ... mentally.

Edited by Starjumper

Then, at the end f training , you can hand them back their wallet .

Actually, I really did steal an instructors wallet once  :D   

I think getting behind an attacker is great fun.  There's even a way of doing it without touching them, using the method which I called the Jedi mind fuck.  Beginners usually notice when I go around behind them when they punch because they do not have intent, but it works very well with trained fighters who do have intent and even better for ones that can feel energy.  Once I did it to this tai chi guy who tried to punch me and he stood there for more than two seconds with his mouth hanging open, my wife saw it.  He really thought I had disappeared until I said hello from behind him.

Edited by Starjumper

On 4/19/2019 at 7:09 PM, Starjumper said:

Then later the lady told me that her boyfriend was a ...

to be continued ...

Then later the lady told me that her boyfriend was a punk drug dealer that was trying to weasle in on the Mafia's territory, in Las Vegas of all places.  Not real swift.

So he asked for what he got, he got his karma delivered to his face.  He asked for it and I realized that Babaji   knew all about it even though I didn't know the guy's name, and he would not interfere with the guy's karma.  That may have been the reason that he sounded annoyed at my request.

I had some other ideas, like why did he tell me to do it?  Was he saying that I could heal something like that, or was he saying that he couldn't heal something like that?  I didn't think he was saying I could heal it because i'm not a healer kind of guy and don't do it ... maybe he was saying it could be possible.  I had another thought, why did he bother to answer me when he probably gets a hundred similar requests every minute?  So you see, I had only questions and no answers.

one time, a guy mistook my 'joke' as a hesitation and tried to get a head but in first .... I just nodded and he 

That's one way.  What happens with beginners in our stuff is when they attack you do the killing move, but of course without following through ... and then you stop ... and then they tap you and say:  "see, I got you".  What they don't know is that since they are already dead that continuing with something is called cheating.

This brings up a subject about internal martial arts that I think needs some airing out.  People have been duped into thinking that it takes many years or decades to be able to do well in tai chi combat but that's all a smoke screen.  In fact if it is taught the way we do it a person can become very effective after just a little while, and I want to illustrate this with a little story which I will add into the book in the Dave Harris section before it is republished:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~

Dave told me about a student he had for a little while.  He called him 'Little Sissy Boy'.  Little sissy boy was a teenager and his mom brought him to classes so that he learn some self defense, but lil sissy boy really wasn't into it and wanted to learn how to play piano instead, so he dropped out after two months.

Little sissy boy had an evening job working at a fast food burger place of the drive up kind, where people had their grease and sugar water in their cars in the parking lot.  One evening he was attending the window when this big African American came up and demanded a free burger.  Well the hero of our story told the big guy that he couldn't do that, so the big guy threatened to come back at closing time to give him some 'revenge'.

So sure enough, when work was over and the boy left the building he found five (5) five! big black bruisers who jumped on him and attacked him.  After a couple of seconds all five of them were down, and three of them had to be taken to the hospital.  When the police got there the attackers told them that the boy had attacked them, but actually the police had been sitting there in an unmarked car the whole time and had seen the whole thing.

Dave said that little sissy boy was lucky and he had accidentally done everything just right.

Edited by Starjumper

I decided to make my first chi kung video in a couple of years and just wanted to share the first part of it here, what I got done so far.  You'll need to turn the sound up towards the end in order to catch all the subtleties.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm just sharing it for the humor and so you can see a bit of life on the farm.

I mean, how often do you get a video production interrupted by a horse that likes to eat puppy food, which is what we give to the cats.  Spirit was sick and starving though so now we keep him around the house to give him lots of corn and molasses in order to fatten him up.  Puppy food is too expensive for horses though.  The other horse doesn't like puppy food, she likes to eat all the fruit trees.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Starjumper said:

I'm just sharing it for the humor and so you can see a bit of life on the farm.

Very funny! :D

Impressive views you have from the house, it looks a nice place to live in and to practice the internal arts.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2019 at 1:38 AM, Starjumper said:

That will be a lot of fun, but go easy on me because I'm just a beginner.  I've seen and played with the best but I haven't had much chance to practice what I've learned in kung fu.

Go easy ?

man .... we went to train at this big club in the city as one of their 'Masters'   invited us . When we got there, three burly black belts asking us questions and they all giving me a weird look and when I commented on their weapons rack one guy says " You wouldnt need a weapon, you just shoot them and bury them in the back yard . "

:o

... and my lawyer said the reason I got searched every time I went to court, even when the sensor didnt go off  was because I " Looked like the kind of guy that would stab you without hesitation' .... okay , I got some teeth knocked out which I havent  fixed and I got some facial scaring .. but it isnt from fighting .

In over 40 years of MA , including weapons I  ; cracked a guys ankle bone once -when I blocked a kick, I  split my mates forehead (no stitches needed) with a bo , I gave a guy in aikido a head egg with a jo and I pronged a guys cheek with a sai side prong  ... lightly - thats it in over 40 years.

A woman approached me once after aikido training " I just want to thank you, I have been watching for a couple of moths now and you are so good with my son, as you probably realise, he has some developmental problems, although he is huge  and you have been so gentle with him , yet not  too soft so he doesnt feel patronised .... just right , thank you ."

Besides , trying to go hard or prove something, for me , interferes with my  learning , which is the whole reason why  I  want to 'cross train' (in other forms and traditions) in the first place .

besides , I am gettin on a bit now , you might have to go easy on me  :D

I dont like this  'tying to prove something' stuff, I went off at my 'instructor' the other week , he is always trying to do that , he is randomly and carelessly attacking me with jo techniques and so many times, I countered his attack, before it was even half way through with a  strike to his  fingers or wrist, stopping just on light skin contact .  Then he  "WHAM! " right across my knuckles , and I '

"What the fuck !  I have hit your fingers about 10 times and pulled the blow and I dont even think you knew ! .. and the one time you do it you smash my hand , dont do that , whats your problem ? "

... and he sheepishly "   sorry, I am a bit of practice  "    :huh:

me; " Well go and practice your focus on a tree or something ! "

... and thats the instructor !   sheesh!     every so often he gets a bit toey and I have to remind him   " I will kick you in your knee replacement " ... that makes him show a little more 'consideration'  and 'focus' .

Gripping the floor with toes, yes to that, it something that surfaces naturally from chi kung.  I mean the chi kung trains it without your knowing, and then you do it when practicing tai chi and kung fu, also without knowing.  I'm a big fan of not knowing stuff ... mentally.

Oh yeah ... I got it down to a fine art , that toe grippin stuff

he is me doing star jumps at home

walking-on-celing.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 2:58 AM, J Warg said:

Impressive views you have from the house, it looks a nice place to live in and to practice the internal arts.

Thank you.  I feel blessed to be able to live here.  It feels more like being a care taker than an owner.

• Like 2

The editor should be done pretty soon and I want to make some changes to the cover before republishing the book.  If anyone would like to be creative here I'm looking for pointers on what to put in the back cover description.

At first I thought it would be good to appeal to the Bruce Lee crowd because his popularity would help create interest in the book.  The main reason though is because i felt it would lend me legitimacy enough to create interest.  This is because I come from an unknown master and an unknown system and from past experience here on the forum it seemed that most here thought I was some kind of a nut.  Well, I am some kind of a nut, but I don't lie ... most of the time.

Then I noticed that the dragons fan clubs were bigger and more active than the Bruce Lee fan clubs so I though of appealing to them.  However most of them are only into computer games and that's as far as it goes.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I should have a back cover description that is more about the subject in the book = )  like chi kung, nei kung, and spiritual stuff.   I know, I'm slow sometimes.

The problem I have, well one problem :)  is that I suck at marketing and advertising and have some difficulty seeing the forest for the trees.  I mean, I would tend to write a whole book to explain what the book is about.

So what I would like is for those of you who have the book can offer suggestions and examples as to how the back cover description could be worded.   I'm sure that some good ideas can also come from those who haven't read it.  So please feel free to share here or in a PM.

Thanks

Edited by Starjumper

Here is the new book cover with the new subtitle.  I think the subtitle is so good that maybe it doesn't need a back cover description.

This brings up a point I want to make, I want this book to stand out as different.  A lot of books have big colorful covers with bold bright titles, sometimes the covers look like one giant cheap advertisement.  I want this book to be different, I want it to appear subtle, for a more mature audience.  Therefore I used dark gray for the title and author's name, so it isn't screaming at you, it's more subtle.  More subtle in order to appeal to a more subtle and discerning crowd.  That's how I marketed my fireplace doors, very softly.

To be different it also doesn't really need a back cover description because there is a bigger and better description that Amazon has for their website anyway.  Also I'm thinking it doesn't need an author's picture in order to keep it a little mysterious, and just have a totally blank back cover.

This brings up another subject that is important to me, and that is the pricing.  You know how everything these days has a price that ends in 95 cents, like $9.95 or $16.95.  It's like oh gosh, they tricked me, I thought it was only 9 dollars and it was ten dollars, what a fool I was.  Well I refuse to play that ugly game.  It's like everyone is trying to trick everyone else, it's blatant cheating and everyone know it, both the sellers and the buyers, and they think it's just fine.  Sickness.  So I'm going to have a whole dollar price, like instead of 14.95 it will be 15.

No big deal really, but people who look at the Amazon page will notice it subconsciously along with the subtle kind of book cover and it should stand out as something a little bit special which was not written or published by your everyday run of the mill writer. 

Then - I would like feedback on pricing.  It is so easy to change pricing on 'publish on demand' books that I can play games with it.  Like start out with a low intro price and then raise it after it gets going?  I only wrote the book to make money so that's what it's all about.  So I can sell more books for less or sell less books for more.  It seems to me that this is for a more mature crowd and not for  children and so that points to a higher price.  As far as using the book for interesting students, since only very mature and successful people are interested in the things written about that also points to a higher price; but in the end it's really all about making an income so I can afford to buy a weed puller ... and other stuff.

Also, I haven't been in the US for nine years and I haven't been in a bookstore for even longer - so I would like for YOU to tell me what you think is a good fair price for all concerned.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

I ran across this video on Utube and thought I would share it here since we are talking about Mr. Yueng's martial art.  It is of a semi secret kung fu summer camp in the mountains of Northeast Oregon.  Here you can see how we work with weapons and see some examples of stealing the balance of the attacker.  You can also see Jesse Glover who came as a guest, and you can't see me, who came to teach some chi kung and learn more about how to kill people without really trying.

Edited by Starjumper

I just ran across this video, and I was surprised to find them doing exactly the same kinds of things I was describing earlier.  Here you can see how they end a fight in one second, you can see how they use yielding to get into an advantageous position, and you can see how they get behind someone without touching them.  I didn't know that Krav Maga had been spying on our methods = )  Those of you who aren't into the real thing may not notice but it shows a couple of  types of neck breaks and head smashes on the ground

Edited by Starjumper

yeah ... thats basically a  soft 'stiff arm tackle'   most  styles have some form of it .  On Saturday at training , a guy got an injured throat from it .. from our way of doing it  .. . and teacher wonders where all the students have gone ?   :rolleyes:

I like to get my arm up in time, by delivering a punch in more of a boxers  style ' guard up' my arm does fold and I still get a whallop in my head and I  get thrown down . but my throat is protected.

I remember my big brother doing it once ... and he was BIG ... we where at the beach and all lined up for some hot chips at the the little serving window at the beach pavilion ; stinkin  hot day, a heap of people lined up in the sun along a concrete path. the Greek guys pouring out the chips must have been extra hot and busy working over the hot oil. Some idiot thugs kept running past and calling them wogs and throwing stuff, everyone getting annoyed as its also holding up everyone. Then one threw some water in ... with giant vats of  hot oil in there  !  The this guy comes running along with a cup of water for another go. My brother ( who was a ruby player )  'tackled him'   - he goes 'whump!' with a 'stiff arm' right under the chin, the guys head stopped dead but his body continued going and his legs until he was hovering horizontal at head height in the air  and then 'fell down on to his back and back of head on the concrete . I dont think he had a clue who or what hit him. It took him some time to get up  ... peeps in the line just stepped over him as they moved forward   :D 

... there is also 'stiff arm defence '  against an attempted stiff arm 'tackle'  ( in this case  an attempted  flying stiff arm tackle  )  this guy should take up ju jitsu !

see 0:09  how the guy lands .... thats how I landed when I broke my shoulder (ripped the back of my collarbone out from my shoulder blade )  - not footy , a 'throw'  ... and a throw designed so you cant  roll out and break fall .

... another injury from my 'instructor ' !   :rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Hey Steve,

Fan of reading your posts on multiple threads you've posted on, including this one. I come from a online marketing background, and although i would really need to analyze a lot more to give a more verified advice, i think the things i can come up with off the top of my head will still be solid. Everything i say comes from a good place and out of complete respect, you can take what you find valuable.

Also, I don't come from a book writing background, so not sure of best practices, but i believe marketing principles apply to everything. so the concepts will work here too.

Here is the new book cover with the new subtitle.  I think the subtitle is so good that maybe it doesn't need a back cover description.

Though the second subtitle you're using is more descriptive than the initial one you had, i don't believe it peaks more interest. If you you'd like me to help you with that, i would need to know what is the main message you are trying to provide the reader, but also what is the main angle/message you want to sneak peek at them, in order to want to read the book.

I will say if you are allowed to use the Bruce Lee angle, i would definitely include it in there. There's probably no other angle that would peak more interest. If there is a particular secret that we don't know about Bruce Lee or in relationship to his secret master, then i would sneak peek that.

This brings up a point I want to make, I want this book to stand out as different.  A lot of books have big colorful covers with bold bright titles, sometimes the covers look like one giant cheap advertisement.  I want this book to be different, I want it to appear subtle, for a more mature audience.  Therefore I used dark gray for the title and author's name, so it isn't screaming at you, it's more subtle.  More subtle in order to appeal to a more subtle and discerning crowd.  That's how I marketed my fireplace doors, very softly.

To be different it also doesn't really need a back cover description because there is a bigger and better description that Amazon has for their website anyway.  Also I'm thinking it doesn't need an author's picture in order to keep it a little mysterious, and just have a totally blank back cover.

I believe the mere idea of writing a book about Qigong is different in of itself. I'm going to assume the purpose is to make sales as it should be with any product or business. If it's important to make it stand out, 'different', more subtle, yet important to read. One idea is those books from the early 1900s, late 1800s. They're very plain, but have a certain format to them. Like the outside is not as important as the inside type of idea. So they'll use smaller font, less text in the subtitle, no art design.

What if you gave your book that type of feeling or image. But you don't need to make it as plain as the types of books i mentioned. You can add more design to it, but still give it the feel of important text rather than a book.

This could mean making the dragon design more subtle whether with it's transparency or size. It can mean make the title smaller and centered, with maybe shiny text to balance it out. Etc. Just depends what's the look and purpose you're going after. For the back cover part, i can see your perspective. But i think to the consumer, it may just look like there was not enough effort put into it. I think you can keep it mysterious and plain by just adding maybe a certain quote of yours or a message that you'd like to mention. Something small subtle and maybe in the center. That creates mystery and intrigue, but also importance of a message.

This is just one of many things you could do.

This brings up another subject that is important to me, and that is the pricing.  You know how everything these days has a price that ends in 95 cents, like $9.95 or $16.95.  It's like oh gosh, they tricked me, I thought it was only 9 dollars and it was ten dollars, what a fool I was.  Well I refuse to play that ugly game.  It's like everyone is trying to trick everyone else, it's blatant cheating and everyone know it, both the sellers and the buyers, and they think it's just fine.  Sickness.  So I'm going to have a whole dollar price, like instead of 14.95 it will be 15.

Then - I would like feedback on pricing.  It is so easy to change pricing on 'publish on demand' books that I can play games with it.  Like start out with a low intro price and then raise it after it gets going?  I only wrote the book to make money so that's what it's all about.  So I can sell more books for less or sell less books for more.  It seems to me that this is for a more mature crowd and not for  children and so that points to a higher price.  As far as using the book for interesting students, since only very mature and successful people are interested in the things written about that also points to a higher price; but in the end it's really all about making an income so I can afford to buy a weed puller ... and other stuff.

I like this idea . Not sure what your pricing is, but remember that this is a niche audience regardless so they will purchase it at the price you put it. Also, even if they're not in this niche yet, but are beginning to take interest in it, they are willing to pay as well. So don't underprice your book. Sometimes, you might be able to sell more at a higher price. Also, the perceived value will be stronger if they pay more. As for the whole numbers, just in my own head i don't like whole numbers like $20, $10, $15. Feels cheap and not thought of. If you were to price it in the $20s range, i can see $24, $26, $27,$28 look sexy. :lol:$18 looks good too.

Also, I haven't been in the US for nine years and I haven't been in a bookstore for even longer - so I would like for YOU to tell me what you think is a good fair price for all concerned.

I would pay upwards of 30. But i think a good middle point for the sales purposes might be $24. Depends on if there is applicable knowledge in there. IF it's mainly a story to enjoy and get inspired by, i feel $24 is solid.

Edited by welkin
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 5:39 PM, Nungali said:

a 'throw'  ... and a throw designed so you cant  roll out and break fall .

I had some realizations about the sporting arts vs. the killing arts, that would be a good subject for a different thread.

Edited by Starjumper

Thank you again for the excellent advice, this is the latest and greatest cover design.  I think I'm done with the cover now.

Book-Cover.jpg

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 6

I messaged the editor.  He is a little late because he had to help his business partner leave the country  :ph34r:  He said that he should be ready for the interview in about a week.  I don't know how soon I will get the manuscript after the interview, maybe at the same time or about a week after that.  Then I need to study and make changes suggested by the editor.  So it's starting to look like after the middle of May.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2