Sign in to follow this  
Mig

Basic questions

As I am perusing some sites, I found these questions that I would like to know some answers based on your knowledge on Daoism:

(2) Why Tai-Sheung Lao-Chun is revered by the Taoists

(3) How should we regard the worship of the Taoist Gods?

(4) Do you know the Taoist ways in questing for longevity?

(5) Do you know what are Chai and Chiao?

(6) Do you know the basic features of the canon of the Taoist scriptures?

(7) What do you know about the Taoist sects in Hong Kong and their relationship with those in China?Ā 

(8) Do you know why Taoist monasteries are called Gong and Guan?

(9) Do you think Taoist beliefs are of close relevance to our present-day world?

(10) Do you think Taoism permeates the Chinese culture?

Ā 

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks

So many questions.Ā  For good deeper answers I'd recommend this book.Ā  It does a good job answering questions on Taoism in terms of a religion, getting much deeper then so many 'pop' books that are on philosophy or techniques, which are by necessity watered down.Ā  This book has solid information and the kindle version is just $5 https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Manual-Illustrated-Applying-Taoism/dp/0967794811

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kondensation said:

9. Taoism has relevance to present-day as much as it always had.

10. A lot is still in Chinese culture even popular culture.

Thank you for your response. What do you mean has relevance as much as it always had? If I read some history, all we know is the history of those who were privileged so I am wondering how Daoism was relevant during those days and how they impacted people's lives. In which way is still in Chinese culture aside painting or CTM? I see some concepts they are used so not sure how you quantify a lot? Just curious. Thanks again

20 hours ago, thelerner said:

So many questions.Ā  For good deeper answers I'd recommend this book.Ā  It does a good job answering questions on Taoism in terms of a religion, getting much deeper then so many 'pop' books that are on philosophy or techniques, which are by necessity watered down.Ā  This book has solid information and the kindle version is just $5 https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Manual-Illustrated-Applying-Taoism/dp/0967794811

Thanks, kind of expensive book. Wonder why is so expensive, is the author a true Daoist? or true practitioner?

On 3/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, Mig said:

Thanks, kind of expensive book. Wonder why is so expensive, is the author a true Daoist? or true practitioner?

Author is Brock Silvers.Ā  Who was a neighbor of mine growing up.Ā  I think he became the real thing.Ā Ā  Learned Chinese, headed to the monasteries to learn and fix them up, protect them.Ā  Along the way I think he became a true Daoist, I believe.Ā  The book has more then its share of scorn for philosophical Taoists and wannabees (which I am).

Ā 

The physical book is expensive, but the kindle version for $5.Ā  The Kindle app is free on iphone and androids.Ā  You can adjust font size, and I find its nice to have books on my phone.Ā  One never gets bored.Ā  Also I've learned that I can set up my Amazon Echo smart speaker to read Kindle books for free, if you don't mind them being read in the Alexa voice, ie not professionally.Ā 

Ā 

Ya know, once Amazon Prime comes out with a cyborg suit I'm ready to sign up,Ā  kinda feel like i'm already halfway there.

Edited by thelerner

Hi MIG,

Just my 2 cents:

Ā 

2) Why Tai-Sheung Lao-Chun is revered by the Taoists

For me, Tai Shang Lao Jun å¤ŖäøŠč€å› is a honorific name

In the past, people thought that there isĀ "Something" outside of human. "Something" that is much bigger, older, source of everything, the most respected, etc....

But, what is that "Something"? How should we refer/call this "Something"?

Then someone gave a honorific name as Tai Shang Lao Jun.

Ā 

(3) How should we regard the worship of the Taoist Gods?

I think the Taoist deity is not forcing people to worship them.

People just give respect to them.

Even if people don't care about the Taoist deity, nothing will happen.

Ā 

(4) Do you know the Taoist ways in questing for longevity?

The taoist is take care of their physical body, maintain it through a healthy food, exercise, etc.

thats why there are many PE invented by the taoist master such as Taiji quan, Wu qin xi, Qi gong (breathing exercise), wushu, etc.

Ā 

On the mentality, they are practicing meditation, to controll the stress, balancing the hormons, etc.

Ā 

the traditional chinese medicine was originated from taoist master as well,

they are pay attention on the nutrition, thats why they are climb the mountain to gather the herbs like ginseng, etc

theyĀ are using accupuncture & accupressure to help regulate the qi through the meridian (which is until now, modern science still can scan the meridian through x-ray, mri, etc right?)

Ā 

(5) Do you know what are Chai and Chiao?

Sorry, I dont know

Ā 

(6) Do you know the basic features of the canon of the Taoist scriptures?

what do you mean with basic features?

if i understand correctly, the taoist scripture (dao zhang), is a collection of taoist book from variousĀ taoist school.

Ā 

(7) What do you know about the Taoist sects in Hong Kong and their relationship with those in China?Ā 

quanzhen pai, surely have link with quanzhen pai in mainland, the headquarter is in Baiyun guan, in Beijing

zhengyi pai's head quarter also in Long Hu Shan, China

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 1:04 PM, thelerner said:

Author is Brock Silvers.Ā  Who was a neighbor of mine growing up.Ā  I think he became the real thing.Ā Ā  Learned Chinese, headed to the monasteries to learn and fix them up, protect them.Ā  Along the way I think he became a true Daoist, I believe.Ā  The book has more then its share of scorn for philosophical Taoists and wannabees (which I am).

Ā 

The physical book is expensive, but the kindle version for $5.Ā  The Kindle app is free on iphone and androids.Ā  You can adjust font size, and I find its nice to have books on my phone.Ā  One never gets bored.Ā  Also I've learned that I can set up my Amazon Echo smart speaker to read Kindle books for free, if you don't mind them being read in the Alexa voice, ie not professionally.Ā 

Thanks for the input. I avoid kindle and prefer paper cover books, will save some money to see if the book is worth buying it.

4 hours ago, Mig said:

Thanks for the input. I avoid kindle and prefer paper cover books, will save some money to see if the book is worth buying it.

Definitely worth $5, probably 3 or 4 times that, but $56 seems steep.Ā  Hopefully they'll have another printing and the price will go down.Ā 

Ā 

The internet knows all, if you ask the right questions.Ā 

Edited by thelerner

6 hours ago, Mig said:

It seems most of Daoist denominations use the same jargon and similar rites, in this case jiao and zhai??

yes)

On 3/14/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mig said:

Ā 

I agree, nothing like holding a paper book !

• Like 1

I have no idea whoĀ ā€weā€ are or should regard worship of the Taoist Gods, but for myself i regard it with respect and curiosity. My own worship of Guan Sing Tai is under instruction and development trough Sifu so i regard that with comfort, serenity and more curiosity.

Ā 

In beginning it i chose to accept what would come from it and be sincere. I regard his effigy as if it were him and i pay my respects and beg forgiveness and patience when i see his house or altar improperly set up. For me Guan Sing Tai, Pak Tai and the Gods areĀ what they are, i treat them with honesty and respect because i know they would not ever treat me without any consideration.

Ā 

I cant say exactly how or what they are, embodiment of principles, ascended immortals, supernatural or natural beings or whatever, itā€™s not perhaps so important to classify them or something when they can in fact be interacted with and it is possible to build a sort of relationship through worship. Ask me again in ten or twenty years?

Ā 

• Like 1

Hi MIG,

Ā 

Chinese people tend to give the best name / services to the respected one, including to Shen Xian.

That is the reason why the taoist temple use gong or guan.

Gong (palace) is the big temple, while Guan (pavilion) is the smaller temple.

Ā 

(9) Do you think Taoist beliefs are of close relevance to our present-day world?

Yes, I think so.

Ā 

Example:

TCM originated from Taoism, acupuncture, acupressure, herbal, etc.

Wushu / chinese martial arts, including Taiji & Ba gua zhang, still being practiced by people.

Qi gong / breathing exercise, still in practiced and being studied to improve people's health.

Jingzuo / meditation, spread even further to gyms.

Divination like palm reading, feng shui, etc... still in practice.

Ā 

Those are several skills that were originated from taoism, but now spread over to public, and taught separately from taoism.

Ā 

While for the adherent of Taoism, they will follow some rituals to fulfill their needs. Examples are:

- Qiuzi yishi (yishi mean ritual / ceremony), for those couples who are struggle to get a son / daughter

- Hehe yishi, to improve the harmony of the couple

- Yanshou yishi, to seek for an extension ofĀ Ā life for people in critical illness.

- etc....

Ā 

Ā 

There is a saying from Luxun, a Chinese writer. He says that "Taoism is the root of Chinese culture"

So, if we want to understand the Chinese culture, we may start from learning taoism.

Edited by IvanGu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, IvanGu said:

Hi MIG,

Ā 

Chinese people tend to give the best name / services to the respected one, including to Shen Xian.

That is the reason why the taoist temple use gong or guan.

Gong (palace) is the big temple, while Guan (pavilion) is the smaller temple.

Ā 

Yes, I think so.

Ā 

Example:

Wushu / chinese martial arts, including Taiji & Ba gua zhang, still being practiced by people.

Qi gong / breathing exercise, still in practiced and being studied to improve people's health.

Ā 

Those are several skills that were originated from taoism, but now spread over to public, and taught separately from taoism.

Ā 

While for the adherent of Taoism, they will follow some rituals to fulfill their needs. Examples are:

- Qiuzi yishi (yishi mean ritual / ceremony), for those couples who are struggle to get a son / daughter

- Hehe yishi, to improve the harmony of the couple

- Yanshou yishi, to seek for an extension ofĀ Ā life for people in critical illness.

- etc....

Ā 

Ā 

There is a saying from Luxun, a Chinese writer. He says that "Taoism is the root of Chinese culture"

So, if we want to understand the Chinese culture, we may start from learning taoism.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. As for the terms, I have the impression in general terms both are distinct still some still use them interchangeably as the one in Shandong:Ā  仙姑锶ēš„道ꕙ观

I have read in English what Luxun said, though I couldn't find the original source in Chinese. Do you where to find that quote?
Thanks

Ā 

On 26/03/2019 at 5:35 AM, IvanGu said:

Example:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Good point. Here in the west, doctors or anyone that cares for us like family and friends always recommend a good balanced dietĀ and exercise before anything. Breathing techniques to manage stress etc.Ā Natural wellbeing is promoted way before pharmaceuticals.

Ā 

They will know some basics to get you on your way. I've often found theĀ "take time out and count to ten" when getting stressed is very practical advice. Sometimes that is much easier to adopt and more effective than some meditation therapies that seem a lot more complex.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rara said:

Ā 

Good point. Here in the west, doctors or anyone that cares for us like family and friends always recommend a good balanced dietĀ and exercise before anything. Breathing techniques to manage stress etc.Ā Natural wellbeing is promoted way before pharmaceuticals.

Unfortunately, natural wellbeing mostly depends on changing behaviour and lifestyle.Ā 

And those who needs it the most, will search for the pill that will fix without effort.Ā 

(20+ years in the health care sector has shown me this... ā˜¹ļø)Ā 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this