2 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

So, like a house built on a bad foundation, we start to see cracks. What is left but to replace the foundation?

The cracks have started to appear, and they're getting bigger.

3 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

School? What school? I follow the Dao. The people who make schools of the Dao divide it into just some more of the ten thousand things.

Yes, but a forum connected to a specific school might have more of the rules of conduct which you seems to express that this forum lacks. 

1 minute ago, Mudfoot said:

Yes, but a forum connected to a specific school might have more of the rules of conduct which you seems to express that this forum lacks. 

The Dao has no rules of conduct?

Just now, Song of the Dao said:

The Dao has no rules of conduct?

I thought you were talking about the need to moderate this forum. 

The Dao needs no moderator. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

Is the house the same thing as the people who live in it?

Some people live in it, others visit. The house changes superficially but the foundation stays the same. 

1 minute ago, Mudfoot said:

I thought you were talking about the need to moderate this forum. 

The Dao needs no moderator. 

We come here to practice, learn, about the Dao.

This is a Dao forum.

There are no different "Dao Schools", only the Dao.

If someone comes here talking about how they can push someone over by throwing chi at them, they should be banned from the forum because it is a distraction from the Dao.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

Some people live in it, others visit. The house changes superficially but the foundation stays the same. 

Only stupid people live in houses with bad foundations. And only crack heads live in crack houses.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Song of the Dao said:

If someone comes here talking about how they can push someone over by throwing chi at them, they should be banned from the forum because it is a distraction from the Dao.

Lol. 

Does the Dao exclude things now?

• Like 1

We come here to practice, learn, about the Dao.

This is a Dao forum.

There are no different "Dao Schools", only the Dao.

If you say so. Chinese tradition states differently, you might have heard of the different schools they have there. Long Men Pai is quite famous. Wu Liu Pai comes to mind. 

Straw dogs...... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

This forum has had it's fair share of these people over the years.

12 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

I've been a member here for quite a few years. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to myself, the foundations have weakened considerably.

• Like 1

Just now, lifeforce said:

I've been a member here for quite a few years. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to myself, the foundations have weakened considerably.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I still see you sharing valuable info and interesting experiences.  Isn't that what it's all about? 

A forum of this size, with such subjective topics... is bound to have issues pop up.  Whether we choose to focus on such issues, or focus on the valuable info and interesting experiences - is ultimately up to the individual and how they spend their time. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I still see you sharing valuable info and interesting experiences.  Isn't that what it's all about? 

Of course it is, but also trying to filter out bad, destructive and downright dangerous practices surely is a responsibility of all here. Especially for newcomers who are trying to find their way through the maze.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

Of course it is, but also trying to filter out bad, destructive and downright dangerous practices surely is a responsibility of all here. Especially for newcomers who are trying to find their way through the maze.

Who is to be the judge and jury of that? Dangerous practices? By whose standards?  See the issue? 

And anyone is very welcome to comment about how a practice is dangerous. But going at them personally is where the rules have to be enforced.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

filter out bad, destructive and downright dangerous practices surely is a responsibility of all here. 

Ones perfectly valid practice is another bloody stupid practice. 

Edited by Mudfoot
Spelling

16 minutes ago, Fa Xin said:

Lol. 

Does the Dao exclude things now?

You see everyone, this is a classic example of immature understanding. Fa Xin are right, the Dao does not exclude things, it cannot not. But we as people following the Dao need to be discerning when trying to follow the Dao. So, yes, I exclude things, so I live more like water, to live closer to the Dao. That is the point of "practice". We are not the Dao, we are one of the 10,000 things.

Lao Tzu tells us what to exclude, maybe you can see it here:

In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don’t try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

The Master doesn’t seek fulfillment.
Not seeking, not expecting,
she is present, and can welcome all things.

Throw away holiness and wisdom,
and people will be a hundred times happier.
Throw away morality and justice,
and people will do the right thing.
Throw away industry and profit,
and there won’t be any thieves.

Stop thinking, and end your problems.

• Like 1

Know the white, yet keep the black.

Or as you say,

"she is present, and can welcome all things."

Edited by Fa Xin

5 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

You see everyone, this is a classic example of immature understanding. 

And this is a classic example of a ruling technique, trying to place yourself in a superior position. 

You always have the option to ignore low quality threads. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fa Xin said:

Who is to be the judge and jury of that? Dangerous practices? By whose standards?  See the issue? 

And anyone is very welcome to comment about how a practice is dangerous. But going at them personally is where the rules have to be enforced.

The OP was about the charlatan who is not shy in his thoughts on TDB and it's members. He has bad-mouthed and attacked the forums and members for a number of years. Pointing out his quackery shouldn't even be questioned.

Anyone with half a brain can suss out dangerous practices. Maybe the mods need to get their heads together to filter out things which are promoted here, which potentially could cause harm. Physically, spiritually and mentally. 

Without exaggerating, these are powerful practices which could lead someone to A&E or the looney bin.

• Like 2

Would you let a tiger sleep with your children? It is a natural response, and only people who do not see  the Dao do not know what is dangerous or not.

I suppose we could all just add sentences to The Dao De Ching and you would be happy with that?

Going at someone personally should be the last thing we are concerned with here!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

And this is a classic example of a ruling technique, trying to place yourself in a superior position. 

You always have the option to ignore low quality threads. 

That's a bit of a cop out.

What are low quality threads ?

Just now, lifeforce said:

Without exaggerating, these are powerful practices which could lead someone to A&E or the looney bin.

This is important. We should not underestimate the number of people with mental illnesses who are attracted to religion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mudfoot said:

If you say so. Chinese tradition states differently, you might have heard of the different schools they have there. Long Men Pai is quite famous. Wu Liu Pai comes to mind. 

Straw dogs...... 

I care as much about chinese tradition as I do american tradition. The chinese have it wrong as well.

• Like 1