Let nations grow smaller and smaller and people fewer and fewer,
let weapons become rare
and superfluous,
let people feel death's gravity again
and never wander far from home.
Then boat and carriage will sit unused
and shield and sword lie unnoticed.
Let people knot ropes for notation again and never need anything more,
let them find pleasure in their food and beauty in their clothes, peace in their homes and joy in their ancestral ways.
Then people in neighboring nations will look across to each other,
their chickens and dogs calling back and forth,
and yet they'll grow old and die without bothering to exchange visits.

Dwight Goddard 1919

In a small country with few people let there be officers over tens and hundreds but not to exercise power. 
Let the people be not afraid of death, nor desire to move to a distance. 
Then though there be ships and carriages, they will have no occasion to use them. 
Though there be armor and weapons there will be no occasion for donning them. 
The people can return to p. 52 knotted cords for their records, they can delight in their food, be proud of their clothes, be content with their dwellings, rejoice in their customs.
Other states may be close neighbors, their cocks and dogs may be mutually heard, people will come to old age and die but will have no desire to go or come.

Bradford Hatcher 2005

Shrink the domain, spread out the people
Let there be tens & hundreds of people with specialties
But unemployed
Let the people feel the weight of death
And not wander far
Though there be boats & wagons
No place to ride them
Though there be armor & weapons
No reason to show them
Let the people return to knotting cords
And counting on these
(To) sweetening their own food
Embroidering their own clothing
Secure in their own homes
Rejoicing in their own customs
Neighboring realms overlook one another
The sounds of each other’s roosters and dogs are heard
(Yet) the people grow old & die
Without goings & comings between them

Wing-Tsit Chan 1963

Let there be a small country with few people. Let there be ten times and a hundred times as many utensils. But let them not be used. Let the people value their lives highly and not migrate far. 
Even if there are ships and carriages, none will ride in them. Even if there are arrows and weapons, none will display them. 
Let the people again knot cords and use them (in place of writing). Let them relish their food, beautify their clothing, be content with their homes, and delight in their customs. 
Though neighbouring communities overlook one another and the crowing of cocks and the barking of dogs can be heard, Yet the people there may grow old and die without ever visiting one another. 

Gu Zhengku 1993

The state should be small;
The population should be sparse.
Tools, though of many kinds,
Should not be used.
Teach the people to fear death
And not to migrate to remote places;
Although they have ships and carts,
They will have no need to use them;
Although they are well armed with weapons,
They will have no place to make them effective.
Encourage the people to return to the condition
Under which the knotted rope was used to record things.
The world best ruled is a place where
The people will have delicious food,
beautiful clothes,
comfortable living quarters,
cheerful customs.
Though within easy reach of neighbouring states,
The dog's barking and the cock's crowing in one state are heard in another;
The people of one state will never have dealings with those of another,
Even if they get old and die.

Ch'u Ta-Kao 1904

Supposing here is a small state with few people.
Though there are various vessels I will not have them put in use.
I will make the people regard death as a grave matter and not go far away.
Though they have boats and carraiges they will not travel in them.
Though they have armour and weapons they will not show them.
I will let them restore the use of knotted cords (instead of writing).
They will be satisfied with their food.
Delighted in their dress;
Comfortable in their dwellings;
Happy with their customs.
Though the neighbouring states are within sight
And their cocks' crowing and dogs' barking within hearing;
The people (of the small state) will not go there their whole lives.

Flowing Hands 1987

A small village has fewer people.
Within the village there are machines that can work ten
to a thousand times harder than man.
But they are not needed.
In a small village, the people work together.
They use their labour to sow and grow food.
Their time is spent naturally on this occupation.
They live in harmony with nature, and the Ten Thousand Things.
So being in harmony, they return to the state of the uncarved block of wood;
simple, honest and straightforward.
The people take death seriously and so they strengthen
their bodies, and do not travel great distances.
They remain at one.
Being at one they have no need for boats and carriages.
Being simple and possessing very little,
they have no need for weapons, so they don't display them.
They return to craft in place of writing.
Their food is plain but good, their clothes simple but strong and warm,
their houses safe and secure.
They are happy in their ways, for they live
without interference, and too many laws.
So they do not intrude upon their neighbours.
They live in peace and grow old and die in harmony with nature,
and the Ten Thousand Things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How to regard death seems to be the pivotal point. Regarding death as an essential but unknown part of life places emphasis on the meaning and purpose of life. It is essentially saying ... life's too short. So the proposition that is set up in the example of the small country allows for the things that contribute to a happy satisfying life to be easily recognized.

But we no longer live in small communities. It is much more difficult to find our way to a happy and satisfying life. Perhaps we have lost a proper regard for death.

• Like 3

Yes, I'd like to ask a question about relevance in this day and age. I have always read this teaching (there are similar in the Book of Zhuangzi) as a literal instruction to not mingle with anyone outside of the close vicinity of one's home. Is this the main meaning?

6 hours ago, Rara said:

Yes, I'd like to ask a question about relevance in this day and age. I have always read this teaching (there are similar in the Book of Zhuangzi) as a literal instruction to not mingle with anyone outside of the close vicinity of one's home. Is this the main meaning?

I'm reading it simply as a supporting the argument in favor of a living peaceful mortal life.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rara said:

When my path (perspective) aligns with Dao... there is no longing to escape to some place far off that may be 'better', so though there be carts and boats, the heart is content and they lie unused with no need to go seeking for what is already present. 

As for people... It's not that I avoid those not close to me (either in shared perspective, or location), it's that when unfolding the Dao... all unfolds as it is where it is and this is it.  Life is always full and it's always experienced from the center of my own awareness.

When walking Dao... there is no need to compare what is with the vapours of what may be. 

The center is here, Dao provides nature for all that life requires and this process is co-arising no matter where one manifests.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my simple life.  My old grand days of performing, being praised, traveling to find the secrets of existence, garnering notice for achievements... have all lost their grandeur and luster and to sit in my simple home, with my plain clothes among those I cherish... what could supplant this as superior? 

For me, nothing.

Dao no longer infuses my life with ringing joy and happiness.  Those states are unsupportable in the long run, they have a manic quality.

I am content... and the resonance of contentment through awareness is, in my experience, a foundation for unshakable occupation of 'the center' held by the Sage.  I used to travel incessantly, always seeking what may bring enlightenment on the next ridge, the next campsite, the next book, the next job.

whereas, content.  I occupy where I am, as I am and... it is enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Daniel said:

I'm reading it simply as a supporting the argument in favor of a living peaceful mortal life.

Nice and simple, I like that :)

15 hours ago, silent thunder said:

When my path (perspective) aligns with Dao... there is no longing to escape to some place far off that may be 'better', so though there be carts and boats, the heart is content and they lie unused with no need to go seeking for what is already present. 

As for people... It's not that I avoid those not close to me (either in shared perspective, or location), it's that when unfolding the Dao... all unfolds as it is where it is and this is it.  Life is always full and it's always experienced from the center of my own awareness.

When walking Dao... there is no need to compare what is with the vapours of what may be. 

The center is here, Dao provides nature for all that life requires and this process is co-arising no matter where one manifests.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my simple life.  My old grand days of performing, being praised, traveling to find the secrets of existence, garnering notice for achievements... have all lost their grandeur and luster and to sit in my simple home, with my plain clothes among those I cherish... what could supplant this as superior? 

For me, nothing.

Dao no longer infuses my life with ringing joy and happiness.  Those states are unsupportable in the long run, they have a manic quality.

I am content... and the resonance of contentment through awareness is, in my experience, a foundation for unshakable occupation of 'the center' held by the Sage.  I used to travel incessantly, always seeking what may bring enlightenment on the next ridge, the next campsite, the next book, the next job.

whereas, content.  I occupy where I am, as I am and... it is enough

I admit, my "hunger" for such things is diminishing. I'm curious to know what performing you were doing, as this is (was?) my world in music or being on the road in the events industry. It's pretty ungrounding and I think I might be slowly exiting stage left.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rara said:

Nice and simple, I like that :)

I admit, my "hunger" for such things is diminishing. I'm curious to know what performing you were doing, as this is (was?) my world in music or being on the road in the events industry. It's pretty ungrounding and I think I might be slowly exiting stage left.

I was a stage actor, classically trained and that was my focus and love, mostly Shakespeare, Ibsen, Checkov etc, also worked as a standup and was a writer for other standup artists and sketch comedy troupes.  Started in the 80's, retired in the late 90's. 

• Like 1

• Verse Eighty

A small country with a small population

Where they do things the simple, old fashioned way

They could use more sophisticated methods

But they prefer not to.

They’d prefer to die

Rather than move away.

They may have boats and wagons

But there’s nowhere they’d rather be.

Although they have armor and weapons,

They don’t display them.

They make their own rope,

All kinds of cordage,

and make it as they need it.

They eat delicious food,

Their clothes are beautiful;

Their homes are safe.

They play wonderful music.

If they have anything to do with 

The country next door,

It’s hearing the noise from their chickens and their dogs.

The people keep mostly to themselves.