Sign in to follow this  
Desmonddf

"Feminism" in Daoism

I've seen some very thorny topics recently.

So I'm here to remind everyone of these passages of the Dao de Jing:

Chapter One:

The Dao that can be trodden is not the enduring and unchanging Dao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and unchanging name. (Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all things.
Always without desire we must be found,
If its deep mystery we would sound;
But if desire always within us be,
Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.
Under these two aspects, it is really the same; but as development takes place, it receives the different names. Together we call them the Mystery. Where the Mystery is the deepest is the gate of all that is subtle and wonderful.

Chapter Twenty:

(Being different from ordinary men)
When we renounce learning we have no troubles.
The (ready) 'yes,' and (flattering) 'yea;'
Small is the difference they display.
But mark their issues, good and ill;
What space the gulf between shall fill?
What all men fear is indeed to be feared; but how wide and without end is the range of questions (asking to be discussed)! The multitude of men look satisfied and pleased; as if enjoying a full banquet, as if mounted on a tower in spring. I alone seem listless and still, my desires having as yet given no indication of their presence. I am like an infant which has not yet smiled. I look dejected and forlorn, as if I had no home to go to. The multitude of men all have enough and to spare. I alone seem to have lost everything. My mind is that of a stupid man; I am in a state of chaos. Ordinary men look bright and intelligent, while I alone seem to be benighted. They look full of discrimination, while I alone am dull and confused. I seem to be carried about as on the sea, drifting as if I had nowhere to rest. All men have their spheres of action, while I alone seem dull and incapable, like a rude borderer. (Thus) I alone am different from other men, but I value the nursing-mother (the Dao).

Chapter Twenty-Five: 

(Representations of the mystery)
There was something undefined and complete, coming into existence before Heaven and Earth. How still it was and formless, standing alone, and undergoing no change, reaching everywhere and in no danger (of being exhausted)! It may be regarded as the Mother of all things.
I do not know its name, and I give it the designation of the Dao (the Way or Course). Making an effort (further) to give it a name I call it The Great.
Great, it passes on (in constant flow). Passing on, it becomes remote. Having become remote, it returns. Therefore the Dao is great; Heaven is great; Earth is great; and the (sage) king is also great. In the universe there are four that are great, and the (sage) king is one of them.
Man takes his law from the Earth; the Earth takes its law from Heaven; Heaven takes its law from the Dao. The law of the Dao is its being what it is.

Chapter Fifty-Two:

(Returning to the source)
(The Dao) which originated all under the sky is to be considered as the mother of them all.
When the mother is found, we know what her children should be. When one knows that he is his mother's child, and proceeds to guard (the qualities of) the mother that belong to him, to the end of his life he will be free from all peril.
Let him keep his mouth closed, and shut up the portals (of his nostrils), and all his life he will be exempt from laborious exertion. Let him keep his mouth open, and (spend his breath) in the promotion of his affairs, and all his life there will be no safety for him.
The perception of what is small is (the secret of clear- sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is (the secret of) strength.

Who uses well his light,
Reverting to its (source so) bright,
Will from his body ward all blight,
And hides the unchanging from men's sight.

Chapter Fifty-Nine:

(Guarding the Dao)
For regulating the human (in our constitution) and rendering the (proper) service to the heavenly, there is nothing like moderation.
It is only by this moderation that there is effected an early return (to man's normal state). That early return is what I call the repeated accumulation of the attributes (of the Dao). With that repeated accumulation of those attributes, there comes the subjugation (of every obstacle to such return). Of this subjugation we know not what shall be the limit; and when one knows not what the limit shall be, he may be the ruler of a state.
He who possesses the mother of the state may continue long. His case is like that (of the plant) of which we say that its roots are deep and its flower stalks firm: - this is the way to secure that its enduring life shall long be seen.

Let's please not forget that daoism steams from early matriarchal-centered shamanic practices. It is highly matriarchal and female-worshiping in its nature. The overly-reliance in male symbolism and value is a "recent" perversion of the original meanings and ideas, based largely on false-fire (deficiency of Yin in the hearts of society leading to overly expression of Yang and ruin).

There is a reason why no modern Chinese state (since Shang) has been able to endure a complete cycle (540, or 9*60 years) of existence. The only dynasty able to do so was the Shang Dynasty, a prophecy-centered dynasty with "high" female influence (being obedient to the Heaven is a pretty female/yin act, as the Heavens are Yang to any dinasty).

So, let's value the feminine and the Yin a little more. Male and yang-centered Pride easily crumbles on our modern society, because it is a false-fire. It seems big and imposing, but it is frail as a small flame in a big storm. It shall become real and harmonious once we stop looking at Yin as our enemy (false-fire does consume Yin) and start looking at it as our Mother.

Only by accepting the women inside can a men become really powerful and strong - rightfully masculine, sacredly masculine. But the mascunility which steams from this is of a very different nature from the so called "toxic masculinity" we see these days. It is a masculinity which nourishes and strenghtens the feminine, while also being nourished and strenghtened by it.

Is the man which makes its spouse prideful and happy to be a woman, and the woman which makes the husband prideful and happy to be a men. It is the female side of the men which make them happy to be men, and the masculine side which make the men happy to have a female side!

I guess I've said enough ;)

Source: https://ctext.org/dao-de-jing/ens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this