Jimmerino

Kunlun For Those With Awakened Kundalini?

One quick note: ringing in the ears (more often a high-pitched buzzing) is very much a kundalini symptom. It's the energy coursing by your ear canals. It drove me, too, to a hearing test where I was pronounced ok. Knowing that nothing's actually wrong, it doesn't bother me much.

Probably there are a variety of reasons for different sounds along the way... One explanation - and I'm not saying that this is your situation, just one possibility to consider...

"Tinnitus" is "ringing in the ears". Per western medicine, there is nothing for it. Chinese medicine recognizes two different kinds: high pitched tone, and low pitched. The former is indication of liver deficiency and the latter kidney. It's yin deficiency (in this view). It wouldn't be too surprising that tinnitus 'd be there in the presence of K, since K is extreme yang.

~ later p.s. ~

I'm not a doctor, and there're probably plenty of details I've missed on this issue - you might reference a TCM book.

Probably there are a variety of reasons for different sounds along the way... One explanation - and I'm not saying that this is your situation, just one possibility to consider...

"Tinitus" is "ringing in the ears". Per western medicine, there is nothing for it. Chinese medicine recognizes two different kinds: high pitched tone, and low pitched. The former is indication of liver deficiency and the latter kidney. It's yin deficiency (in this view). It wouldn't be too surprising that tinitus 'd be there in the presence of K, since K is extreme yang.

I was also told that ringing in the ears (in certain cases) is the sound of awakening. i was told this by max (kunlun)

Chinese medicine recognizes two different kinds: high pitched tone, and low pitched. The former is indication of liver deficiency and the latter kidney. It's yin deficiency (in this view). It wouldn't be too surprising that tinitus 'd be there in the presence of K, since K is extreme yang.

I have kidney weakness as the result of the yang kundalini energy (one of the cause/effects that has me pursuing grounding solutions). But fwiw my ear buzzing is rather high-pitched. Of course, everything's relative, so maybe it's not as high as it could be. Or is it possible you have it backwards...?

Here is an interesting link on how to supposedly tell apart tinitus from kundalini sound. The relevant part is in the last paragraph.

Here is an interesting link on how to supposedly tell apart tinitus from kundalini sound. The relevant part is in the last paragraph.

Interesting, yes, but not so accurate, at least in my experience. I had no hearing issues before K, have been examined by an ear doctor who says I seem perfectly normal, and I have buzzing in BOTH ears. When the energy is really flowing, the sound immediately swells, and when I skip meditation for a few days or otherwise get mired in worldly stuff, it fades. There seems to be a very direct relationship, so I'm pretty comfortable in attributing cause/effect.

Also, the requirement that the sound herald "altered states of consciousness" seems off to me, for a number of reasons I'd rather not digress into.

When you say "kundalini awakened" do you mean the energy is started and lingering or already penetrated the shushumna? I think your kidney attributed to kundalini energy messing with you is pure fantasy, it merely showed you the existing problem. How much do you meditate. I meditate lots and so even when Im not meditating, the trance sticks. This seems to me the way to keep the energy flushing the body even when Im doing worldly stuff.

Interesting, yes, but not so accurate, at least in my experience. I had no hearing issues before K, have been examined by an ear doctor who says I seem perfectly normal, and I have buzzing in BOTH ears. When the energy is really flowing, the sound immediately swells, and when I skip meditation for a few days or otherwise get mired in worldly stuff, it fades. There seems to be a very direct relationship, so I'm pretty comfortable in attributing cause/effect.

Also, the requirement that the sound herald "altered states of consciousness" seems off to me, for a number of reasons I'd rather not digress into.

Edited by de_paradise

When you say "kundalini awakened" do you mean the energy is started and lingering or already penetrated the shushumna? I think your kidney attributed to kundalini energy messing with you is pure fantasy, it merely showed you the existing problem. How much do you meditate. I meditate lots and so even when Im not meditating, the trance sticks. This seems to me the way to keep the energy flushing the body even when Im doing worldly stuff. Im also curious the logical connection of danger by switching various meditation methods. I dont see the big deal, I think we overemphasize our own role in this process.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but let me state some disagreements. Kundalini (shushumna and all the way up, btw) definitely is huge firey yang. I don't really think that's very up for debate. And big firey yang dries up water, i.e. kidneys. That's pretty well established too. And while you're right that my kidney problem likely preexisted...it was undoubtedly worsened by kundalini. Michael Winn, who started as a kundalini yogi, was the person I went to and who helped me understand that weakened kidneys - more or less equivalent to lack of grounding - are very often a consequence of lots of rising kundalini, and have been a big issue for me. I agree that what you call "trance" (I call silence or stillness or samadhi) helps accommodate and balance energy. But sometimes the energy's too gushing to fully keep up with. And when you really really let go in meditation, it can be extremely energizing....hence my predicament, where all roads seem to lead to overenergization. I do agree a LOT with your point that we overemphasize our own role. A LOT! In fact, that's sort of the Big Problem, isn't it? :)

Thanks for the info, its this kind of stuff thats so hard to find. I notice my urine is very yellow lately, I should be drinking more water.

One day Im going to take issue with the word "grounding" in another post however, which is some kind of multi-definitional buzzword. What can we ground to anyway, if what we can grasp is just illusion? Bit of a catch-22 really.

In my own limited non-guru yet fairly observant experience, I notice my body "charges up" with excessive energy when its about to blow through an important meridian or mai. In your case, since your shushumna is cleared, its probably working on the mai. If all roads lead there, then its there for a reason. Are you too fragile to deal with it? Why are people so tippy-toe in this? Of course it takes brains not to pychotically pump your stomach and visualize your head in flames, but what is wrong with energy? I must be just too new to grasp other people's experiences.

A question: after the shushumna penetration which is the "kundalini attainment" ie. finish, what is the energy called?

I agree with a lot of what you say, but let me state some disagreements. Kundalini (shushumna and all the way up, btw) definitely is huge firey yang. I don't really think that's very up for debate. And big firey yang dries up water, i.e. kidneys. That's pretty well established too. And while you're right that my kidney problem likely preexisted...it was undoubtedly worsened by kundalini. Michael Winn, who started as a kundalini yogi, was the person I went to and who helped me understand that weakened kidneys - more or less equivalent to lack of grounding - are very often a consequence of lots of rising kundalini, and have been a big issue for me. I agree that what you call "trance" (I call silence or stillness or samadhi) helps accommodate and balance energy. But sometimes the energy's too gushing to fully keep up with. And when you really really let go in meditation, it can be extremely energizing....hence my predicament, where all roads seem to lead to overenergization. I do agree a LOT with your point that we overemphasize our own role. A LOT! In fact, that's sort of the Big Problem, isn't it? :)

Thanks for the info, its this kind of stuff thats so hard to find. I notice my urine is very yellow lately, I should be drinking more water.

Yes, always a good idea! Try to drink water at room temp if you have any lung or asthma issues. Also, spiritual practice can concentrate the urine (says AYP), so don't be TOO alarmed.

If all roads lead there, then its there for a reason. Are you too fragile to deal with it? Why are people so tippy-toe in this? Of course it takes brains not to pychotically pump your stomach and visualize your head in flames, but what is wrong with energy? I must be just too new to grasp other people's experiences.

The process of opening and awakening is the same for all, in the big picture. But the particulars of the unfolding are unique for each of us. The issues that challenge me may not be the issues that challenge you. Or they may challenge you later. Or not! We can only speak from our own experiences. And there are others sharing my experience. It has nothing to do with fragility. And the solution isn't to simply tough up and take it when there are legitimately worrisome problems becoming apparent. That is counter to ahimsa. Hey, I'd like to open up as much as I can in this lifetime, and while I have zero desire for immortality, I need to preserve the vessel for a while so I can continue working!

A question: after the shushumna penetration which is the "kundalini attainment" ie. finish, what is the energy called?

God? Words are just words. Insofar as we're going to discuss, we do have to try to make them work for us, but I try not to overly define, distinguish, and catalog. That tendency is one of the things that slightly turns me off some of the Taoist methods....though I obviously come crawling back when I need to benefit from all that great know-how and scholarship! :rolleyes:

Edited by Jimmerino

People talk about Kundalini as upward or yang/fire energy and Kunlun has been refered to as downward yin grounding energy. It makes sense that women would be naturally better at Kunlun then. Here's my question, don't we need both? I'm not sure if micro-cosmic/macro-cosmic orbits and the kunlun and kundalini energies are the same things, however, if they are isn't it better to practice an orbit that takes you both up and down?

About the ear ringing and prematurely awakened kundalini, chinese medicine would say yin deficiency. The ringing gets worse when you add more fire to the equation. Raising your spirit is like flying a kite, you need that yin anchor to stabilize your flight. This has been my experience with a similar situation anyway. Cut sugar, alcohol, weed, caffeine, and hit up more grounding veggies. Also take up a breathing practice that begins rooting your breath down into your kidneys/lower dantien/lower center of gravity. Daoist reverse abdominal breathing is really good for this but it's not so good to learn this one from a book. If you do end up trying this one without a teacher's instruction, be careful, make sure your diaphragm is going down on the inhale/contraction, keeping the qi below the solar plexus, otherwise you'll be working agaist what you want to achieve. That's not to say stop getting all fired up, yang transforms to yin, just be sure to take up a yin practice afterwards.

That's this student's two cents anyhow.