29 minutes ago, Apech said:

Nice.

It was the fluctuations rather than the mean temperature which concerned me. 

That would depend on the frequency and intensity of those fluctuation as they would impinge on the Atlantic Island.

29 minutes ago, Apech said:

Ok its mild at these latitudes even if the north is frozen over - but changes in sea temperature and also level must have occurred throughout that period not just at the end.  This would mean that crops and so on would suffer - but maybe the seafood diet can go some way to explain it - as fish are very plentiful in cold oceans (cod for instance).  Maybe the civilisation had highs and lows through this period and Atlantis itself was the last vetiges of something much older.

I appreciate your thoughts.

29 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Looking at the ice age and the long period of instability before that , we have evidence of people and settlements , in that time, virtually at the Arctic Circle in Siberia .   They dont constitute a  civilisation though . But it does show that climate change is regional and can have areas of great intensity OR 'refuge' .

We even have this book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Arctic_Home_in_the_Vedas

That seems to refer to a civilization also mentioned in ancient Greek sources and that has become known under various names, a common one being Hyperborea. Some think of it as a civilization that even preceded the Atlantean one and may have 'seeded' it.

Although going beyond the scope of this thread, that's a fascinating topic in its own right, and I intend to dedicate another thread to it in due time.

I didn't know that book, but it looks interesting and I will download it to the kindle a dear friend once gave me right away. Thanks!

Be prepared for obscure Sanskrit scholarship, archaeoastronomy, Indian 'logic'  *  and  a lack of s current  (post 1900 )  findings and research. 

( *   I have been talking about this subject for some time with an elderly  Indian chap whose  grandfather worked on the translation of the book    :) . )

• Thanks 1

.. another thing to note is an ice age might not be as big an impediment to progress and development as we used to think.  Arctic  peoples  and  cultures (and indeed, the crossing to America 'over the top' ) seems to have come about by people adapting to the ice ages, and when the ice retreated north as the warming began, people moved north with the ice as it was the environment they functioned well in ; ice is good to travel on,  it supplies extensive 'roadways', building materials,  abundant food near the coast,  food preservation, etc .  I have even seen beautiful cutlery sets  from old Arctic cultures ; polished 'silver' looking blades and modern looking handles. I thought it was a hoax, but they had a good iron supply in some places and they worked  sea lion and walrus tusks and narwhal  horns as 'ivory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2909898/Before-iron-Greenland-METEORITE-Age-Prehistoric-Eskimos-mined-giant-space-rocks-make-tools-weapons.html

• Thanks 2

On 18.2.2019 at 11:02 PM, Nungali said:

We need to remember these things are  'just what has been found  SO FAR ' .   They might be ahead of their time, or there might be missing factors.  For example, some old archaeology shows good drainage and sewer systems , yet   1000s of years later, in 'advanced' civilisations , like  England, they threw their crap out the widow so it stained the walls and streets .

There is evidence of vast civilisation and complexes in Amazon basin from the past , yet after that and  until recently , only   forest dwelling hunter gatherers with rudimentary agriculture inhabited it .

2ACE1DB800000578-0-image-a-6_14377393648

Hundreds of archaeological sites have been discovered alongside the rivers and tributaries of the Amazon basi

For some reason, Europe is often ignored .  .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucuteni–Trypillia_culture

https://indo-european.eu/2017/12/archaeological-origins-of-early-proto-indo-european-in-the-baltic-during-the-mesolithic/

and pre P.I.E.  in Europe;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Europe_(archaeology)

Arkaim - Russia

Arkaim_Sintashta_Wikipedia.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr0pA0u5o02nYHRM5WcZl 

5927c805fc6b9eb8bf6cc4abab7d248c.jpg

Also , have a look at my  'Burning down the house' thread ; 

and in regard to 'historical predecessors ;  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aratta

http://www.arattagar.co.uk/

Cool stuff!

After I had checked out your first link, I started wondering if there may have been a link between the Cucuteni-Trypillia culture and the Indo-European language. Based on a quick search, I didn't find any direkt evidence for that, however, this sounds interesting:

http://civilizationupgrade.com/language/into-the-origins-of-european-languages/

And quoting from your linked Wikipedia article on Old Europe (no, not in the way US president Bush used the term!):

Colin Renfrew's competing Anatolian hypothesis suggests that the Indo-European languages were spread across Europe by the first farmers from Anatolia.

Which brings us back to Çatal Hüyük and/or other sites in Anatolia (modern Turkey) that we may talk about more later.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nungali said:

Be prepared for obscure Sanskrit scholarship, archaeoastronomy, Indian 'logic'  *  and  a lack of s current  (post 1900 )  findings and research. 

( *   I have been talking about this subject for some time with an elderly  Indian chap whose  grandfather worked on the translation of the book    :) . )

The way the kindle version was formatted is a bit awkward, nonetheless, it seems to be a cool book.

May have more on this later.

.. another thing to note is an ice age might not be as big an impediment to progress and development as we used to think.  Arctic  peoples  and  cultures (and indeed, the crossing to America 'over the top' ) seems to have come about by people adapting to the ice ages, and when the ice retreated north as the warming began, people moved north with the ice as it was the environment they functioned well in ; ice is good to travel on,  it supplies extensive 'roadways',

No doubt ice can help you get from A to B really quick:

building materials,  abundant food near the coast,  food preservation, etc .  I have even seen beautiful cutlery sets  from old Arctic cultures ; polished 'silver' looking blades and modern looking handles. I thought it was a hoax, but they had a good iron supply in some places and they worked  sea lion and walrus tusks and narwhal  horns as 'ivory.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2909898/Before-iron-Greenland-METEORITE-Age-Prehistoric-Eskimos-mined-giant-space-rocks-make-tools-weapons.html

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Cool stuff!

After I had checked out your first link, I started wondering if there may have been a link between the Cucuteni-Trypillia culture and the Indo-European language. Based on a quick search, I didn't find any direkt evidence for that, however, this sounds interesting:

http://civilizationupgrade.com/language/into-the-origins-of-european-languages/

And quoting from your linked Wikipedia article on Old Europe (no, not in the way US president Bush used the term!):

Colin Renfrew's competing Anatolian hypothesis suggests that the Indo-European languages were spread across Europe by the first farmers from Anatolia.

Which brings us back to Çatal Hüyük and/or other sites in Anatolia (modern Turkey) that we may talk about more later.

Check the work of Marija Gimbutas, her research into 'Old European' cultures  (pre P.I.E. cultural 'invasion' ) indicates societies where matriarchal,  egalitarian , they had little defences around their towns, seem to have little conflict .   Then after the PIE speakers came  into the area ( a 'warlord' culture, patriarchal, dictatorial, etc ) we see settlements  establishing defences around them until eventually PIE culture takes over.

Thats the only link I know of .

The 'Anatolian' origin is popular nowadays.  perhaps people from there went to establish Minoan culture ?   There are ancient links between Greeks and Persians hinted at, way before ancient history.

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/olympicflame/page2.htm

• Like 1

On 17.2.2019 at 11:10 PM, Nungali said:

Are you familiar  with the site just north of Cadiz, Spain - near the long beach

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0271329,-6.4239383,146769m/data=!3m1!1e3

'Parque Nacional  de Donana '    - now a wetland area .   

Outside of the 'Straights of Hercules'    seems  the best  historical  candidate so far   ( according to the Atlantis information supplied by Plato  )

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42072469/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/lost-city-atlantis-believed-found-spain/

110314-science-rings-1031p.grid-5x2.jpg

As far as more liberal interepretations of Plato's description are concerned, I think the Richat structure in  the Sahara desert is a pretty good match, too.

But I will add some comments on Cadiz shortly. As well as on those concepts that are most in accordance with Plato and put Atlantis into the Atlantic. Stay tuned!

Edited by Michael Sternbach

It  might match but it is a geological feature ,  and  in the wrong area. The 'patterns'  near Cadiz  seem man made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

It  might match but it is a geological feature ,  and  in the wrong area.

Indeed, the "Eye of Africa" seems to be a natural geologic structure - albeit a remarkably symmetrical one. However, it is highly eroded, which might make it difficult to determine if any of it may have been at least 'enhanced' by humans.

By the same token, Flambas's book (mentioned above) suggests that the capital of Atlantis described by Plato may have been founded on a natural dome structure expanded and/or rectified by the early Atlanteans.

But note that I included the Richat/Atlantis theory for the sake of completeness and for discussion, I am not supporting it per se. For one thing, as you mentioned, it is in fact in the wrong area. 

The 'patterns'  near Cadiz  seem man made.

However, this area also isn't exactly an island in the Atlantic "beyond the Pillars of Heracles" (the Strait of Gibraltar). Quoting what the Egyptian priest is telling Solon in the Timaios, as he is first bringing the topic:

For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire which had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent, and, furthermore, the men of Atlantis had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia.

In the Critias, Plato elaborates that the large territory  ruled by the Atlanteans was divided amongst ten kings, the "sons of Poseidon".

All these and their descendants for many generations were the inhabitants and rulers of divers islands in the open sea; and also, as has been already said, they held sway in our direction over the country within the pillars as far as Egypt and Tyrrhenia.

I think that "Sons of Poseidons" may have been titles given to the Atlantean kings, much in the way later in Egypt a pharaoh was sometimes called "Son of Re" (the Egyptian Sun god).

And Gades (the old name of Cadiz) was named after one of Poseidon's sons, says Plato.

Going out on a limb, I could envision that the Atlanteans built a version of their original capital in different lands that came under their sway.

• Like 1

Alright, I watched the whole series of four National Geographic episodes suggested by Nungali, and those of you who wish to do likewise can find them here melded into a one-hour documentary.

My commentary:

Those guys in South Spain doing an archeological search under what used to be a large mud field may be onto something, however, that "something" is not going to be Plato's Atlantis. Both the location and the suggested timeframe are off.

Also covered in the documentary is the old "Atlantis = Santorini" theory, which holds no water (pun not consciously intended), IMO. Again, place and time are off, and while there are indications that the archipelago was hit by tsunamis, it definitely didn't vanish in the sea.

Spello corrected

I recall Atlantis has been seen by some, but not me.   But I'd be willing to be part of a group to try and find it again.   I'm just not willing to discuss it so openly.  

• Like 1

How big would ' larger than Libya and Asia put together ' be , considering we would have to go by the concepts of those times when written ?

Some parts of the description sound like Cuba, except too far west. Thing is, there is no evidence of in the area closer to the east; "in front of the straights " . At a glance the Azores Plateau is the perfect candidate in location and perhaps size too ?   It is in a volcanic hotspot and sitting on major plate boundaries .... but they are spreading and uplifting, not sinking, nor have sunk. And the time scale :

" The islands of the archipelago were formed through volcanic and seismic activity during the Neogene Period; the first embryonic surfaces started to appear in the waters of Santa Maria during the Miocene epoch (from circa 8 million years ago). The sequence of the island formation has been generally characterized as: Santa Maria (8.12 Ma), São Miguel (4.1 Ma), Terceira (3.52 Ma), Graciosa (2.5 Ma), Flores (2.16 Ma), Faial (0.7 Ma), São Jorge (0.55 Ma), Corvo (0.7 Ma) and the youngest, Pico (0.27 Ma)."

doing a 'reverse Atlantis '  :)

• Like 1

Approximately 13,000 years ago, as the last ice age was winding down, Earth's Northern Hemisphere reverted to a near-glacial period called the Younger Dryas. Temperatures dropped by 15˚C, and giant ice sheets again advanced south from the Arctic. But things were much different in the Southern Hemisphere. New data reveal that the globe's bottom half continued to warm its way out of the ice age, even as the north temporarily plunged back into a another deep freeze.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2010/09/deep-freeze-didnt-affect-southern-hemisphere

• Thanks 2

Yet ;

At about 14,700 BP, there was a large pulse of meltwater, identified as Meltwater pulse 1A,[1] probably from either the Antarctic ice sheet[2] or the Laurentide ice sheet.[3] Meltwater pulse 1A produced a marine transgression that raised global sea level about 20 meters in two to five centuries and is thought to have influenced the start of the Bølling/Allerød interstadial, the major break with glacial cold in the Northern Hemisphere. Meltwater pulse 1A was followed in Antarctica and the Southern Hemisphere by a renewed cooling, the Antarctic Cold Reversal, in c. 14,500 BP,[4] which lasted for two millennia — an instance of warming causing cooling.[5] The ACR brought an average cooling of perhaps 3 °C. The Younger Dryas cooling, in the Northern Hemisphere, began while the Antarctic Cold Reversal was still ongoing, and the ACR ended in the midst of the Younger Dryas.[6]

This pattern of climate decoupling between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres and of "southern lead, northern lag" would manifest in subsequent climate events. The cause or causes of this hemispheric decoupling, of the "lead/lag" pattern and of the specific mechanisms of the warming and cooling trends are still subjects of study and dispute among climate researchers. The specific dating and intensity of the Antarctic Cold Reversal are also under debate.[7]

The onset of the Antarctic Cold Reversal was followed, after about 800 years, by an Oceanic Cold Reversal in the Southern Ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Cold_Reversal

On 23.2.2019 at 12:20 AM, dawei said:

I recall Atlantis has been seen by some, but not me.   But I'd be willing to be part of a group to try and find it again.   I'm just not willing to discuss it so openly.  

That sounds interesting. I have been organizing a remote viewing group for awhile, though we were more medically oriented.

However, MANY psychics (including some highly accomplished ones) already tried to locate Atlantis, and they rarely agreed with each other. Maybe some of them tapped into another lost civilization or into a parallel universe... Who knows.

On 23.2.2019 at 6:41 AM, Nungali said:

How big would ' larger than Libya and Asia put together ' be , considering we would have to go by the concepts of those times when written ?

The Greeks of Solon’s time would most likely have considered 'Libya' the area covered by Cyrenaica and Marmarica: roughly 700 km east-west by 400 km north-south, giving a total area of 280,000 km2. Whereas 'Asia' would probably be a reference to Anatolia (Asia minor) with an extent of 585,000 km2. Thus, the combined area would be 865,000 km2. Since according to Plato the Atlantic Island was even larger than that, its size might have been about 1,000,000 km2. Which means that, if Atlantis still existed, it would now be the second largest island on Earth! In comparison, Greenland is the world’s largest island with an area of over 2.1 million km2; New Guinea is the second largest island with an area of 786,000 km2. No wonder Atlantis is often called a continent.

Some parts of the description sound like Cuba, except too far west. Thing is, there is no evidence of in the area closer to the east; "in front of the straights " .

Flambas reads this passage to mean "opposite the Straits" rather than close to them - but I'd agree that this seems to be a bit of a stretch. Nevertheless, Cuba - or more generally the Antilles overal - may still be our best bet as far as finding the remnants of Atlantis.

There is a passage from Proclus’ Commentary on Plato’s Timaeus that seems right in line with that: “That an island (the Atlantic Island) of such nature and size once existed is evident from what is said by certain authors who investigated the things around the outer sea (the Atlantic Ocean). For according to them, there were seven islands in that sea in their time, sacred to Persephone, and also three others of enormous size, one of which was sacred to Pluto, another to Ammon, and another one between them to Poseidon, the extent of which was a thousand stadia (210 km); and the inhabitants of it – they add – preserved the remembrance from their ancestors of the immeasurably large island of Atlantis which had really existed there and which for many ages had reigned over all islands in the Atlantic sea and which itself had likewise been sacred to Poseidon. Now these things Marcellus has written in his Aethiopica ... "

The only location that fits Proclus’ description is the Caribbean Sea, where the three large islands might be the Greater Antilles islands of Cuba, Jamaica and Hispaniola (Haiti/ Dominican Republic). If so, the middle island sacred to Poseidon would be Jamaica, which is about 230 km long and virtually identical in length to the one thousand stadia (210 km) that Marcellus describes. Cuba and Hispaniola would be the islands sacred to Pluto and Ammon; Cuba is about 1,100 km long and Hispaniola is about 650 km long. The seven islands sacred to Persephone might be some of the larger islands of the Lesser Antilles plus Puerto Rico then.

"There is geological evidence for uplift and emergence above sea-level of some previously submerged parts of the Caribbean Plate. If those newly emergent parts were the Venezuelan Basin and the adjoining Aves and Beata Ridges; and if they were then added to Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, which were already emergent, the combined landmasses would form Plato’s Atlantic Island", says Flambas. And: "Once the Beata and Aves Ridges and the Venezuelan Basin rose above sea-level and combined with the landmasses of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, the total land area of the fully emergent Atlantic Island was about 1,040,000 km2."

At a glance the Azores Plateau is the perfect candidate in location and perhaps size too ? 

According to the analysis given in Zhirov's book (mentioned above), the even plateau to the south of the islands matches the plane of Atlantis as described by Plato in both shape and size rather nicely.

It is in a volcanic hotspot and sitting on major plate boundaries .... but they are spreading and uplifting, not sinking, nor have sunk. And the time scale :

Then again, bear in mind that the volcanic archipelago is geologically rather unstable. From Edgar Cayce's Atlantis (by G.L. Little, L. Little, J. Van Auken):

Recent activity in the nine islands of the Azores is a striking reflection of the instability that may have dropped Atlantis in the Atlantic thousands of years ago. Quiet for centuries, the Azores began erupting in 1957, curiously close to the year 1958, which Cayce saw as the forty-year beginning of large-scale breakups around the globe. As perhaps with Atlantis, the 1957 quakes and volcanic eruptions created migratory waves, as they broke up islands and destroyed thousands of homes. In February of 1964, there was another four days of nightmare quakes, and thousands of refugees fled the isle of Sao Jorge, hard hit by a thousand tremors. The ‘57 quake recalled early scenes described by Cayce. The Geologist picked up a report by one of the refugees, Bernadette Vieira, who with her family fled Sao Jorge and settled in Santa Clara, California. Bernadette’s experience was most graphic: “She ran screaming down the village street as a volcanic island arose from the sea between Sao Jorge and nearby Fayal Island.“ On that day the earth shook, and stone-walled houses toppled. Hundreds of persons were killed. Hot ashes fell like rain. Crops were ruined, and livestock was killed. “The volcanic island sank back into the sea as quickly as it had risen.” In the ‘64 quake, panicky residents feared the tremors might activate two dormant volcanoes on either tip of Sao Jorge. “The ground is trembling almost continuously,” a Portuguese news agency reported, “the people of Sao Jorge feel like shipwrecks on a raft.” In one community of thousands, only three houses were left standing. Telephone and telegraph communications were cut. The air smoldered with sulphur fumes. A hastily assembled flotilla carried doctors, ambulances and blood plasma to the stricken island in response to the SOS: “Important damages. Many ruins. Request all navigation available in proximity proceed southern coast this island render assistance.” There was more: “If the volcanoes erupt,” the Geologist read aloud, “they could split the island and cause it to crumple into the sea.”

" The islands of the archipelago were formed through volcanic and seismic activity during the Neogene Period; the first embryonic surfaces started to appear in the waters of Santa Maria during the Miocene epoch (from circa 8 million years ago). The sequence of the island formation has been generally characterized as: Santa Maria (8.12 Ma), São Miguel (4.1 Ma), Terceira (3.52 Ma), Graciosa (2.5 Ma), Flores (2.16 Ma), Faial (0.7 Ma), São Jorge (0.55 Ma), Corvo (0.7 Ma) and the youngest, Pico (0.27 Ma)."

doing a 'reverse Atlantis '  :)

:)

3 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

The Greeks of Solon’s time would most likely have considered 'Libya' the area covered by Cyrenaica and Marmarica: roughly 700 km east-west by 400 km north-south, giving a total area of 280,000 km2. Whereas 'Asia' would probably be a reference to Anatolia (Asia minor) with an extent of 585,000 km2. Thus, the combined area would be 865,000 km2. Since according to Plato the Atlantic Island was even larger than that, its size might have been about 1,000,000 km2. Which means that, if Atlantis still existed, it would now be the second largest island on Earth! In comparison, Greenland is the world’s largest island with an area of over 2.1 million km2; New Guinea is the second largest island with an area of 786,000 km2. Now wonder Atlantis is often called a continent.

Oi  !   :angry:

Australia is the planet's sixth largest country at 7 692 024 km2 and although it is the smallest continental land mass, it is the world's largest island. "

http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/national-location-information/dimensions/australias-size-compared

• Haha 1

The Greeks of Solon’s time would most likely have considered 'Libya' the area covered by Cyrenaica and Marmarica: roughly 700 km east-west by 400 km north-south, giving a total area of 280,000 km2. Whereas 'Asia' would probably be a reference to Anatolia (Asia minor) with an extent of 585,000 km2. Thus, the combined area would be 865,000 km2. Since according to Plato the Atlantic Island was even larger than that, its size might have been about 1,000,000 km2. Which means that, if Atlantis still existed, it would now be the second largest island on Earth! In comparison, Greenland is the world’s largest island with an area of over 2.1 million km2; New Guinea is the second largest island with an area of 786,000 km2. Now wonder Atlantis is often called a continent.

Thanks . (except for the 'omission' )

Flambas reads this passage to mean "opposite the Straits" rather than close to them - but I'd agree that this seems to be a bit of a stretch. Nevertheless, Cuba - or more generally the Antilles overal - may still be our best bet as far as finding the remnants of Atlantis.

There is a passage from Proclus’ Commentary on Plato’s Timaeus that seems right in line with that: “That an island (the Atlantic Island) of such nature and size once existed is evident from what is said by certain authors who investigated the things around the outer sea (the Atlantic Ocean). For according to them, there were seven islands in that sea in their time, sacred to Persephone, and also three others of enormous size, one of which was sacred to Pluto, another to Ammon, and another one between them to Poseidon, the extent of which was a thousand stadia (210 km); and the inhabitants of it – they add – preserved the remembrance from their ancestors of the immeasurably large island of Atlantis which had really existed there and which for many ages had reigned over all islands in the Atlantic sea and which itself had likewise been sacred to Poseidon. Now these things Marcellus has written in his Aethiopica ... "

The only location that fits Proclus’ description is the Caribbean Sea, where the three large islands might be the Greater Antilles islands of Cuba, Jamaica and Hispaniola (Haiti/ Dominican Republic). If so, the middle island sacred to Poseidon would be Jamaica, which is about 230 km long and virtually identical in length to the one thousand stadia (210 km) that Marcellus describes. Cuba and Hispaniola would be the islands sacred to Pluto and Ammon; Cuba is about 1,100 km long and Hispaniola is about 650 km long. The seven islands sacred to Persephone might be some of the larger islands of the Lesser Antilles plus Puerto Rico then.

"There is geological evidence for uplift and emergence above sea-level of some previously submerged parts of the Caribbean Plate. If those newly emergent parts were the Venezuelan Basin and the adjoining Aves and Beata Ridges; and if they were then added to Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, which were already emergent, the combined landmasses would form Plato’s Atlantic Island", says Flambas. And: "Once the Beata and Aves Ridges and the Venezuelan Basin rose above sea-level and combined with the landmasses of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, the total land area of the fully emergent Atlantic Island was about 1,040,000 km2."

According to the analysis given in Zhirov's book (mentioned above), the even plateau to the south of the islands matches the plane of Atlantis as described by Plato in both shape and size rather nicely.

Undersea plateau  to the south of the islands   ?   Do you mean the Madeira Abyssal Plane ?

let's have a look

GOSH !

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3186406,-24.7812476,290023m/data=!3m1!1e3

Then again, bear in mind that the volcanic archipelago is geologically rather unstable. From Edgar Cayce's Atlantis (by G.L. Little, L. Little, J. Van Auken):

:)

Yes, that mini island rising and sinking was an interesting phenomena .   As most cases, things rose , also in the Caribbean and recently in NZ .  One part of the coast looks weird now, thats because it is a decaying coral reef  that used to be underwater.  I am not familiar with things sinking, except vary small 'island' .  And now we are talking about a 'continent . 

However this looks juicy;

" https://phys.org/news/2016-12-santa-mariathe-incredible-island.html#jCp

17 hours ago, Nungali said:

Oi  !   :angry:

Australia is the planet's sixth largest country at 7 692 024 km2 and although it is the smallest continental land mass, it is the world's largest island. "

http://www.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/national-location-information/dimensions/australias-size-compared

I did enjoy the image overlays. And started wondering: From what size on would an isle count as a continent?

19 hours ago, Nungali said:

Thanks . (except for the 'omission' )

Undersea plateau  to the south of the islands   ?   Do you mean the Madeira Abyssal Plane ?

let's have a look

GOSH !

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.3186406,-24.7812476,290023m/data=!3m1!1e3

Looks freakin' cool. :)

Yes, that mini island rising and sinking was an interesting phenomena .   As most cases, things rose , also in the Caribbean and recently in NZ .  One part of the coast looks weird now, thats because it is a decaying coral reef  that used to be underwater.  I am not familiar with things sinking, except vary small 'island' .  And now we are talking about a 'continent . 

However this looks juicy;

" https://phys.org/news/2016-12-santa-mariathe-incredible-island.html#jCp

What goes up must come down eventually, no?

Talking about that, Flambas presents a theory that the enormous weight  of the ice down pressing down on the crust in the polar regions during the ice age made the surface slightly bulge out in the equatorial zone - especially the sea floor, where the crust is so much thinner. A hydraulic mechanism involving magma, as it were. - Melt the ice, take the pressure off: woosh, down your island goes!

First I thought this concept (interesting as it sounded) was complete 'fringe science', however, meanwhile I found it in academic literature too.

Talking about the Azores theory, I just started reading the respective chapter of Zhirov's book. More on that later.

• Like 1

I did enjoy the image overlays. And started wondering: From what size on would an isle count as a continent?

Australia is  an 'island continent '  :) 

Wait !

Australia is the world's  only  island continent .

And some  * even say that all the human culture and technology came from Australia and was spread throughout the world **  . 

I guess that makes Australia  Atlantis  .  :)

2faffad7efa9afba16948c6f8b9be4a5

hqdefault.jpg

7babc45a54a14259a91392e2c1348c41.jpg

Edited by Nungali

1 hour ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Looks freakin' cool. :)

What goes up must come down eventually, no?

Ha!  Tell that to the  50,000 tons of mass earth looses everyday .

yeah, I know, you  are gonna say we take in matter to , we do ; 40,000 tons a day .

....    :o

Maybe that;s where Atlantis went  !

Talking about that, Flambas presents a theory that the enormous weight  of the ice down pressing down on the crust in the polar regions during the ice age made the surface slightly bulge out in the equatorial zone - especially the sea floor, where the crust is so much thinner. A hydraulic mechanism involving magma, as it were. - Melt the ice, take the pressure off: woosh, down your island goes!

I have read about a  similar process ... but not that ^  . 

It does seem popular in Switzerland though  :) 

!

First I thought this concept (interesting as it sounded) was complete 'fringe science', however, meanwhile I found it in academic literature too.

Ahem ...  < a bit more serious now >

What process is that ? If you mean isostatic uplift, that is a lot more gradual than what sunk Atlantis .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectonic_uplift#Isostatic_uplift

Talking about the Azores theory, I just started reading the respective chapter of Zhirov's book. More on that later.

Cool .  

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2019 at 12:33 AM, Apech said:

Nice.

It was the fluctuations rather than the mean temperature which concerned me.  Ok its mild at these latitudes even if the north is frozen over - but changes in sea temperature and also level must have occurred throughout that period not just at the end.  This would mean that crops and so on would suffer - but maybe the seafood diet can go some way to explain it - as fish are very plentiful in cold oceans (cod for instance).  Maybe the civilisation had highs and lows through this period and Atlantis itself was the last vetiges of something much older.

Remember folks- the intelligent human species as we know it appears no sooner than 50-70k years ago. Which... actually may have coincided with the last big peak at the graph you posted. But whether or not there was a civilization before 10,000BC, it must have been in it's bronze age at best. Otherwise they'd leave more traces of themselves. IMO