dwai

The circumstances and types of experiences of our lives

On 2/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, Pilgrim said:

Very, very good! 

Swami Chinmayananda is always entertaining, but I really dislike the idea that we get what we deserve. It's quite unfair.

I much prefer the idea that it is all god's will, but that we need not be touched by it for one second (indeed, we ARE never touched by it for one second) if we simply look deep into the "I" and find out who we are.

Edited by blackfence
  • Like 2

Hi @blackfence

I look at it like this,  it is all God’s will and what the Swami is telling are some of the mechanics of how things work.

Yes I heard him disavow the Gods will part.  To my thinking he was doing so to make a strong counter point to get the listener to really pay attention to the lesson he wished to emphasize.

If he was not then that is too bad, my view still stands and he can believe as he likes 😁 and yes he is very entertaining.

looking deep into the I does it and there are many ways, out of curiosity what practice do you find work best for you in this regard?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

looking deep into the I does it and there are many ways, out of curiosity what practice do you find work best for you in this regard?

Ramana Maharshi's version of self-inquiry, without a doubt. Focusing on the fact that "I know that I am" and trying to locate where it comes from, while noticing that any object that you are aware of cannot be the source of that "I feeling" -- for example, the I cannot come from the head because you are aware of the head, and you cannot be what you are aware of.

Edited by blackfence
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, blackfence said:

Ramana Maharshi's version of self-inquiry, without a doubt. Focusing on the fact that "I know that I am" and trying to locate where it comes from, while noticing that any object that you are aware of cannot be the source of that "I feeling" -- for example, the I cannot come from the head because you are aware of the head, and you cannot be what you are aware of.

Ramana Maharishi, ah yes, who is this I that thinks this thought?  I remember first learning of him back in the mid 1980’s.

There were some impressive books written by an author using the pen Name Mouni Sadhu.

Thanks for replying nice clear way of describing the practice.

• Like 2

I liked the part about the drunkards coming around. Illustrated his point nicely. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 3:27 PM, blackfence said:

The Self is aware of it Itself (aka Self realization) but not as an object.   ("normal" or conventional thoughts along this line do not apply) 

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1