Sign in to follow this  
yuuichi

Does Buddhist meditation replenish yin qi?

According to traditional chinese medicine, I have a deficiency in yin, resulting in symptoms displaying a deficiency of yin. To replenish yin, most doctors give herbs. Could it instead be replenished with Buddhist meditation?

7 minutes ago, yuuichi said:

According to traditional chinese medicine, I have a deficiency in yin, resulting in symptoms displaying a deficiency of yin. To replenish yin, most doctors give herbs. Could it instead be replenished with Buddhist meditation?

‘Yin Qi’ is something different to what you’re talking about. 

You can use food to nourish your yin in this context.

Look up ‘blood nourishing’ foods.

26 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

Red meat is the answer.

In my case yes.

Im not vegetarian though.

There are other ways to nourish blood too - everything from dark leafy greens to beetroot and black beans.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, freeform said:

In my case yes.

Im not vegetarian though.

There are other ways to nourish blood too - everything from dark leafy greens to beetroot and black beans.

Certainly. I've had tremendous success with the carnivore diet. So much so, that I intend to continue, as much as possible, to eat this way.

2 hours ago, freeform said:

As in meat only?

Yes. I was skeptical myself at first, but after researching the topic extensively, and seeing the results people were having, I thought I would give it a try. 

9 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

Yes. I was skeptical myself at first, but after researching the topic extensively, and seeing the results people were having, I thought I would give it a try. 

Its probably the best form of ‘elimination diet’.

Meat (contrary to most new age ‘detox’ type advice) is also very easily digested.

If this carnivore diet is of great benefit to you, you may be negatively reacting to some ‘normal’ foods.

2 minutes ago, freeform said:

Its probably the best form of ‘elimination diet’.

Meat (contrary to most new age ‘detox’ type advice) is also very easily digested.

If this carnivore diet is of great benefit to you, you may be negatively reacting to some ‘normal’ foods.

Generally I'm in excellent health, but headaches/migraine have affected me since I was a teenager. Since eating carnivore I've never had a single headache.

2 minutes ago, lifeforce said:

Generally I'm in excellent health, but headaches/migraine have affected me since I was a teenager. Since eating carnivore I've never had a single headache.

I’ve met people with similar stories to tell. 

I’m just suggesting that the magic may not be in the meat itself.

It may be that by eating only meat you’ve actually eliminated something that was problematic for you.

4 hours ago, freeform said:

I’ve met people with similar stories to tell. 

I’m just suggesting that the magic may not be in the meat itself.

It may be that by eating only meat you’ve actually eliminated something that was problematic for you.

The only problem there is that I wouldn't be able to identify the offending food(s) as I previously had a varied diet. 

1 hour ago, lifeforce said:

The only problem there is that I wouldn't be able to identify the offending food(s) as I previously had a varied diet. 

Yeah it’s tricky. You’d have to bring in one food at a time.

It would take a long time of course. But if you just start with one favourite healthy food at a time and see, you’ll quickly build back to a reasonably varied diet.

Only because long term, a purely carnivorous diet would probably not do you good...

• Like 1

It's definitely a good idea to follow your TCM doctor's advice and take a Yin replenishing formula of herbs over a long period. Avoid caffeine also. Meditation may well help, but if you're sure you have Yin deficiency I think it's paramount to find a good source of the right herbs and begin herbal treatment as soon as you can. Recovery from a deficiency usually takes longer than if you're treating an excess condition. 

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 8:43 PM, yuuichi said:

Generally yes, the yin you are talking about, is replenished by sitting quiet meditation. Anything where you allow your awareness to be gentle is good. No efforting or the like.

Ant's post is good and listen to your tcm doc.

Edited by JohnC

On 16. 2. 2019 at 5:32 AM, Ant said:

It's definitely a good idea to follow your TCM doctor's advice and take a Yin replenishing formula of herbs over a long period. Avoid caffeine also. Meditation may well help, but if you're sure you have Yin deficiency I think it's paramount to find a good source of the right herbs and begin herbal treatment as soon as you can. Recovery from a deficiency usually takes longer than if you're treating an excess condition. 

What about Zhan Zhuang and qigong movements? Shouldn't those help replenish?

I don't see a reason to choose one or the other. I've been treating a similar deficiency myself, and there is a certain nourishment I feel from herbs that I don't feel from Qigong. I know there's a temptation to look for a single cure-all solution, but I think it's more practical to cover all all bases. It's like with herbal treatment itself - a TCM doctor won't just prescribe one 'miracle' herb, but rather a formula containing a number of complimentary herbs. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this