rideforever

Living Hobbit Wild

I would like to live more in nature no electric, like a hobbit, witnessing the seasons and so on.

Can anyone recommend a place to go ?
I think I am not going to do it alone but if there was somewhere to join ?
thanks

Nungali might have an idea for you.

Sounds good though to leave this behind. Alaska sounds too cold.

You could email ask Sara Ann Lawless about where she use to live off the grid, she farmed the land for natural remadies, it is some where in Origin, she has recently moved to Canada.http://sarahannelawless.com/contact/

https://twitter.com/forestwitch

I heard about this place 'slab city' I had thought about going there when I was a kid.

There is lots more info on youtube but here is a couple of informative videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1LraNwR0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4f2uurvxUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QV0h7bRwtY

Edited by mrpasserby
changed content

We had a couple of good threads on such a Hobbit life.  I must admit at times, I've thought that the Hobbit hole would be mighty attractive.

Here's one thread, good one, but not the one I was thinking of:

Here's another, from this one down there's posts with some good links, I think:

Just remember there's no free lunch out there.  Communal living is often farming thus hard work.  Or else the  little secret is they live cheaply but off a large hidden nest egg.  I think the sweet spot is finding cheap digs, learning to live cheaply, ie having your own large productive garden, and having a minimum job that doesn't drive you crazy. 

We can probably have those things, living most anywhere.  We do have some power to engineer our life, especially if we're willing to move and take chances. 

The worst ruts are ones we've made ourselves.  We stopped exploring, stopped making things better, fell into comfort or poverty traps. 

Edited by thelerner

I think the eco village idea was just right. I don't know about "no electricity" maybe just start off gently. The Findhorn Foundation in Scotland may well be a great place to start. Tons of info on the web if you are not familiar with it. I have spent quite a bit of time there so feel free to ask questions.

I'm a tiny house,simple life person and yes it's alot more work but Soo worth it.nature just gives i.e will we ever run out of chi?

• Like 1

The hobbit dwelling was very well equipped. If you make a lot of effort to arrange a place, then any place will be a good one.

I would recommend a place like Alaska.

There you can feel small in the midst of great nature. I remember as a child I liked the paintings of Rockwell Kent dedicated to life in Alaska.

But in order not to freeze there, it will be necessary to grow hair on the legs like a Hobbit did ;)

On 14/02/2019 at 7:19 AM, rideforever said:

I would like to live more in nature no electric, like a hobbit, witnessing the seasons and so on.

Can anyone recommend a place to go ?
I think I am not going to do it alone but if there was somewhere to join ?
thanks

Somewhere warm ... thats a BIG start.    I would recommend a 'blend'    -  I still like my morning computer and late night TV . But I have arranged my 'hobbit hole' so all that stuff is less obvious .  Hang a painting over tv when not in use.  Electrics are all stashed in a converted old desk . They idea was to make the place  SEEM old school  ( 'mid-century' they call it now , and its become fashionable ) but still have some hidden mod cons.

Or, you could just go camping for a bit .

In any case, there is another side to that gold coin .... you might have to harden up a bit .  Where I live, peeps move in amazed at its beauty and 'easy' life style , yet many leave soon when the weather and bugs intensify .    A bit of heavy rain puts them off. Or 60 miniature tics  burrowing into  your skin at once  ....    or 40 deg C heat .

You need to  have your wits, resources and skills ... and be a bit 'hard'    but rewards are good .

Unfortunately its harder nowadays, things are not as 'free' as they used to be.   I cant recommend a place though as I doubt you would travel here.  

• Like 1

On 21.03.2019 at 1:13 AM, Nungali said:

Hang a painting over tv when not in use.

Nice idea! 

By the way, for the home of the Hobbit, you can make circle-shaped doors and portals.
Just like the Chinese do.
It looks really amazing.

image?id=864551237052&t=0&plc=WEB&tkn=*Lorig0_10f316_83c0565f_orig

• Like 1

yeah , the sure are, but a real bastard to make and build with !

I like the look of 'Hobbit caves '    :)

kinver-edge-rock-houses.jpg

and this gem  !

• Like 1

Oh yes. Such dwellings is very beautiful and comfortable.

After all, the Taoists also live and practice in caves, although their homes are much more modest. By the way, in China there are huge number of people still living in cave houses, like this:

cave-homes-China-1.jpga02e6d77d49e9ee8ad243e3e73b2852b.jpgpeshczera32.jpg

Edited by Pavel Karavaev
  • Like 1