andrew1139

Feeling when bringing awareness to dantian

Now, I know similar questions have been asked, but I didn't find a specific answer for this one. I try to meditate by becoming aware of my dantian, but I don't know if what I'm feeling is the correct sensation. I heard a bunch of times that the body can create false sensations that would most likely deviate a practitioner from their goal, so I want to be careful.

As for what I feel, I guess it's similar to some kind of pressure inside my abdomen (although it's possible it has to do with the digestive activity).

Can anyone guide me and give me some tips so that I'm actually doing progress in filling my dantian?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, andrew1139 said:

Can anyone guide me and give me some tips so that I'm actually doing progress in filling my dantian?

posted before but covers some of what is asked about here.

the teacher if emailed usually  responds to questions asked.

2 hours ago, andrew1139 said:

Now, I know similar questions have been asked, but I didn't find a specific answer for this one. I try to meditate by becoming aware of my dantian, but I don't know if what I'm feeling is the correct sensation. I heard a bunch of times that the body can create false sensations that would most likely deviate a practitioner from their goal, so I want to be careful.

As for what I feel, I guess it's similar to some kind of pressure inside my abdomen (although it's possible it has to do with the digestive activity).

For me it started with feeling of pressure/condensing in the lower abdomen region (not physical but a denseness). It wasn't very clear whether it was my mind playing tricks or indeed a real thing. However, when it first became a distinct feeling, it was like a wisp of smoke moving around in the lower abdominal level, right where the lower dantian is supposed to be. But it was not a static feeling or strictly fixed in one region - rather it kept shifting and morphing (like how smoke from an incense might billow in a mild breeze). You will eventually get beyond the sensations. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dwai said:

For me it started with feeling of pressure/condensing in the lower abdomen region (not physical but a denseness). It wasn't very clear whether it was my mind playing tricks or indeed a real thing. However, when it first became a distinct feeling, it was like a wisp of smoke moving around in the lower abdominal level, right where the lower dantian is supposed to be. But it was not a static feeling or strictly fixed in one region - rather it kept shifting and morphing (like how smoke from an incense might billow in a mild breeze). You will eventually get beyond the sensations. 

I see. So in the end should I just let the sensations happen, but without holding onto them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windwalker said:

posted before but covers some of what is asked about here.

the teacher if emailed usually  responds to questions asked.

Considering the fact that I don't want to use the dantian in martial arts, I personally don't think filling it is an advanced technique. Sure, maybe methods of qi circulation might be good for a beginner, but still.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andrew1139 said:

I see. So in the end should I just let the sensations happen, but without holding onto them?

yes don't focus on the sensations. Just maintain your awareness there. 

11 hours ago, andrew1139 said:

yeah this book is good for what you want to know about:

https://archive.org/stream/TaoistYogaAlchemyAndImmortalityLuKuanYCharlesLuk/Taoist Yoga Alchemy and Immortality Lu K’uan Yü (Charles Luk)_djvu.txt

The practiser should then turn inwards his eyes to concentrate on the lower tan t’ien as long as possible until its inner heat vibrates.

and

he should know that the trouble is caused by unwholesome food and intoxicating drink, by perverse thoughts and desires, by hot baths which scatter the heat of the elixir and by (uncontrolled) fire that scorches the body. This has many causes but mainly results from not taking precautions against the misuse of fire during the training. The practiser may also feel hot in the heart which causes him to be parched with thirst and to eat and drink too much. If he fails to over¬ come this fire his ‘most precious thing’ will drain away at night.

and to fix it:

breathe in fresh air to drive it into the lower tan t’ien (under the navel) and breathe out slowly to expel the inner evil fire which will then vanish; he will then feel truly at ease.

and

While sitting in meditation the practiser should never: i, give rise to thoughts which cause the (inner) fire to flare up; 2, relax his concentration to avoid cooling down the (inner) fire; 3, look at external objects, for there the spirit wanders thereby harming the incorporeal soul (hun); 4, listen to outer sounds, for this scatters the generative force and so harms the corporeal soul (p’o); 5, breathe quickly, for such breaths disperse easily and cannot be regulated; and 6, break his breath rhythm, for its abrupt stoppage will make it weak when resumed; and when he suddenly stops breathing he cools his (vital) breath and when he starts again suddenly he heats it thereby damaging the immortal seed. If he does not pay attention to all this he will achieve nothing.

and

The nine unsettled breaths are caused by: anger which lifts and fear which lowers the breath; joy which slows it down; grief which disperses it; terror which throws it out of gear; thinking which ties it up; toil which wastes it; cold which collects and heat which scatters it.

and

The fire must not be too strong or too weak but just right. It is the same when you practise the sublimation by fire by stages, for if you do so correctly you are certain to produce the immortal seed.

and

He should not, however, neglect the inner heat for a moment, since to do so cools the vitality which should be constantly concentrated upon to keep it warm.

and

First, heat, develops in the lower tan t’ien cavity (under the navel) after which the kidneys become hot like boiling water. Then the eyes reveal their golden mechanism. After that the tiger’s roar is heard in the left and the dragon’s hum in the right ear. Then the back of the head vibrates, bubbles rise in the body and spasms shake the nose.

Edited by voidisyinyang
  • Like 1

Guest ezza

You may also be interested in Damo Mitchell's books, Nei Gong or Comprehensive Daoist Nei Gong for locating the LDT.

One of his recommendations or methods is to actually "listen" for it, although I think that may be a higher level type practice for locating it

15 hours ago, andrew1139 said:

I don't know if what I'm feeling is the correct sensation. I heard a bunch of times that the body can create false sensations that would most likely deviate a practitioner from their goal, so I want to be careful.

The important bit is how are you going about it. Are you sitting or standing? Are you using the correct structural principles? Is your awareness focused or diffuse?

Generally the best way to go about it is to learn to stand correctly (not in classical Zhang Zhuan though). The reason that structure is important is because we want all the tissues of the body to aid you in your practice. Using mental intention won’t do it. We must create the correct conditions in our physical structure for the Dantien to build and attract Qi automatically (not through intention).

Once the structure is correct, you can begin to find your centre of mass.

You do this by using your body as a fulcrum - if you’re standing tall and shift your weight back and forth, you’ll find that your centre of mass is up in the chest.

When you sink down into your Kua and do the same, you’ll find your centre of mass in the abdominal area. Now all you need to do is find that perfect height through trial and error that lines up exactly with the level of your lower Dantien.

Once you find the perfect height, you stay there and relax your mind so that it sinks through your body down to the abdominal cavity. There you just ‘listen’ with diffuse, passive awareness. The sensations that you will feel are largely irrelevant - there is no ‘correct feeling’ as such - there’s only the correct principles applied properly - the sensations will always change. Doing this over time will locate and build your Dantien and slowly fill it with Qi. 

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, voidisyinyang said:

Well, I really apreciate that you gave me the exact quotes, since it would have taken me ages.  Although, how am I supposed to "turn inwards my eyes"? Ima guess you're not physically doing it 

10 hours ago, ezza said:

You may also be interested in Damo Mitchell's books, Nei Gong or Comprehensive Daoist Nei Gong for locating the LDT.

One of his recommendations or methods is to actually "listen" for it, although I think that may be a higher level type practice for locating it

I have the second book, although I never got to reading it fully. 

I don't know if what I'm doing is "listening", but I often have sensations when keeping my awareness there (although, again, they're probably distractions)

8 hours ago, freeform said:

The important bit is how are you going about it. Are you sitting or standing? Are you using the correct structural principles? Is your awareness focused or diffuse?

Generally the best way to go about it is to learn to stand correctly (not in classical Zhang Zhuan though). The reason that structure is important is because we want all the tissues of the body to aid you in your practice. Using mental intention won’t do it. We must create the correct conditions in our physical structure for the Dantien to build and attract Qi automatically (not through intention).

Once the structure is correct, you can begin to find your centre of mass.

You do this by using your body as a fulcrum - if you’re standing tall and shift your weight back and forth, you’ll find that your centre of mass is up in the chest.

When you sink down into your Kua and do the same, you’ll find your centre of mass in the abdominal area. Now all you need to do is find that perfect height through trial and error that lines up exactly with the level of your lower Dantien.

Once you find the perfect height, you stay there and relax your mind so that it sinks through your body down to the abdominal cavity. There you just ‘listen’ with diffuse, passive awareness. The sensations that you will feel are largely irrelevant - there is no ‘correct feeling’ as such - there’s only the correct principles applied properly - the sensations will always change. Doing this over time will locate and build your Dantien and slowly fill it with Qi. 

Hope that helps :)

I'm normally meditating with crossed legs, although I sometimes try kind of a "weak" version of half lotus, which I feel that it really helps with the breathing... Now that I think about it, I sometimes feel kind of an imbalance, which I should work on.

Anyhow, I really appreciate that you all took your time to write those answers. I think I have enough information for now. Thanks :)

10 hours ago, andrew1139 said:

Well, I really apreciate that you gave me the exact quotes, since it would have taken me ages.  Although, how am I supposed to "turn inwards my eyes"? Ima guess you're not physically doing it 

yes the left eye is yin qi and the right eye is yang qi. So the left eye is yang shen and the right eye is yin shen.

So if you do the "small universe meditation" with a c.d. - with the eyes closed - then you rotate the eyes as you visualize the 12 different "nodes" along the body mind - up down, back, forwards.

The book says you can squint at your nose also but also to just rotate the eyes when the eyes are closed.

So in time when you rotate your eyes you will feel the lower tan t'ien get activated - as the central channel connects directly. I guess this is the vagus nerve.