Jim D.

I like animals stories, don't you?

March conjures up images of lambs and lions. I wonder how the animals got involved in the calendar and lunar process? You can't help seeing either the lamb or lion in your mind's eye when March is mentioned, no matter what year it is. You just hope that March is the beginning of the end of winter, snowplows, rock salt, and endless shoveling. 

Another animal that gets equal press is the groundhog. I wonder how it got its name, and whether he owns a pair of designer sunglasses. Poor thing. He has to bear up under being handled by who knows who as he is roused up out of his sleep and coaxed into the winter's breeze only to be characterized as either seeing his shadow or not. Notice the gender specific language. What happened to saying her shadow? He can't tell you. And I'll bet he never knew that he had been given an added job description, weatherman. I also wonder if he also suffers from a guilt complex when he hears on the news that we're in for an additional six weeks of winter. Oh well, there is always pet therapy for Mr. Groundhog. But wait, who will pay for the sessions? Maybe we can suggest making it a line item in the Pennsylvania Budget. Hmmmm...I wonder if we have made the Ox jealous with all this attention to Mr. Groundhog.

Jim D.

• Like 1

My father's birthday is on Groundhog's Day.   Growing up, everytime he would tell someone his birthday, he would follow it up with "February 2nd...Groundhog's Day"  So not only do I associate Groundhog's with the beginning of Feb, but I also associate my dad with a Groundhog.