eum0rb1a

Hello, I'm new, and one question (regarding surgery and the lower dantien)

Good day,

I'm a complete beginner to qigong, and this is my first post here. So far, I like Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang's output best, and I've been following along with  his standing baduanjin video for just a little while, as well as some of his writings. In addition to the baduanjin excercises, I've been working to get the abdominal breathing (not so much the reverse yet, however) down a bit more naturally. So, I'm trying to lay some foundation for neidan practice.

I have a lot of questions and I'm undoubtedly making some mistakes, but it seems an OK beginning.

I've lurked on this forum some, and just from lurking have been introduced to some really interesting books, concepts, experiences, and stories. So, thank you for all of that.

Lastly, I have one question (for now). Reading and practicing qigong, albeit at my elementary level, has got me thinking about my medical history. About four years ago I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. My question is, how might lower abdominal surgery effect neidan practice in regards to the lower dan tien, if at all?

Thanks for any insight

• Like 2

Hello, eum0rb1a, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi eum0rb1a,

I'm not qualified to answer your question, I hope someone on here is.  Welcome and enjoy the forum.

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Thanks! Yeah...I suppose this wasn’t the best place for a super specific question. Maybe I’ll repost it in a more appropriate section. Thanks again! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eum0rb1a said:

Thanks! Yeah...I suppose this wasn’t the best place for a super specific question. Maybe I’ll repost it in a more appropriate section. Thanks again! 

Hi and welcome,

Don't take my view as an expert in this field but I think good qi gong etc. would help to strengthen tissues and sinews etc. so as long as you don't do violent straining exercise I think you should be ok.  Best thing is ask your doctor of course and find a good teacher who can advise you.

A.

13 hours ago, Apech said:

Hi and welcome,

Don't take my view as an expert in this field but I think good qi gong etc. would help to strengthen tissues and sinews etc. so as long as you don't do violent straining exercise I think you should be ok.  Best thing is ask your doctor of course and find a good teacher who can advise you.

A.

Thanks for this! Yeah, I agree, I think going about it with lightness and tranquility can only be good for the body.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, eum0rb1a said:

About four years ago I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. My question is, how might lower abdominal surgery effect neidan practice in regards to the lower dan tien, if at all?

don't know much as far as recovering from a hernia,  but back in the day, when i was doing Kenpo,  my instructor wore a sash that was wraped around his waist.  I asked him what the sash meant, and he told me of the Chinese color meanings, but then said that the main reason was because of the intense breathing they did in some of there meditation forms, and it was suppose to prevent hernia's. 

I sometimes wear a snug fitting wrap abound my lower hara/tanden when i do some forms of dynamic breathing meditation.  good luck