exorcist_1699

How to recognise a taoist master

It is said that the following are some of the criteria to judge whether you come across a real taoist master or not :

1) He is the one who comes to you , not the one whom you think you can easily meet or identify. Of course, here I am talking about a master , if you are searching for a doctor, then it is another story.

2) A real master must know the keys to solve some crucial , troublesome issues in your practice such as " taming the white tiger" or "slashing the red dragon";

3) A master is very likely familiar with the taoist classics in which the crucial issues are repeatedly , thoroughly argued from every different angle over centuries .

4) A master is unlikely to come for money . Having his body equipped with qi , a taoist master views money no different from any stones or sand on the roadside.

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

A real Taoist Master teaches you how to find the master within your own spirit and will guide you how to master your own life.

Remember "masters" are humans. Extraordinary humans, but nonetheless, humans. They will guide you or steer you on the right path. It is still ultimately your discipline and perserverance that allows you to stay on that path.

Taoism looks at the world as a mirror of your perception. We talk a lot on this forum about physical practice however that is just one piece to the puzzle. You must find a master who can guide you spiritually to help you find your true self and help you kill your post heaven ego.

Cultivation is about building the physical in order to live long enough to rebirth the spirit. If your body is not healthy then your spirit will find somewhere else to go. However, if your spirit is not connected your body will also fall apart. This is also explained by the theory of Tai Chi.

A true master is someone who can help you master all of these things and help you take complete control of your own destiny and life.

Wudangspirit

It is said that the following are some of the criteria to judge whether you come across a real taoist master or not :

1) He is the one who comes to you , not the one whom you think you can easily meet or identify. Of course, here I am talking about a master , if you are searching for a doctor, then it is another story.

2) A real master must know the keys to solve some crucial , troublesome issues in your practice such as " taming the tiger" or "slashing the red dragon";

3) A master is very likely familiar with the taoist classics in which the crucial issues are repeatedly , thoroughly argued from every different angle over centuries .

4) A master is unlikely to come for money . Having his body equipped with qi , a taoist master views money not different from any stones or sand on the roadside.

What we need around here is a Toast Master B)

I see this as a duel role, First as EmCee and second as the preparer of breakfast breads... ;)

2) A real master must know the keys to solve some crucial , troublesome issues in your practice such as " taming the white tiger" or "slashing the red dragon";

4) A master is unlikely to come for money . Having his body equipped with qi , a taoist master views money no different from any stones or sand on the roadside.

Funny, all this time I thought it was the hat...

;)

Yes to all the above but i would emphasise:

- Compassion

- Kindness

- Honesty

- Integrity

.....manifesting as their nature through their - actions, words, and their eyes. If someone is sensitive enough, they would also be able to feel these traits emanating from the master possibly creating a resonance within the student.

Following from this, to learn from such a person, one is able to awaken those same qualities within themself.

Powers and the like may or may not manifest from the master and may or may not arise in the student through cultivation. In any case, they are secondary to the inherent virtues which should be the foundation.

What we need around here is a Toast Master B)

I see this as a duel role, First as EmCee and second as the preparer of breakfast breads... ;)

may i have mine with a little butter and jam?

:D

These "shoulds" may apply to a good teacher, but a true taoist master... hmmm....

A true taoist master is usually whimsical as hell. Unpredictable, incomprehensible. Weird. Sometimes appearing crazy. Sometimes blending into the environment, invisible, "just one of the guys/gals." Sometimes eccentric, and sometimes outrageous. Sometimes just plain, normal, colorless. You can never tell until he or she "shows you" his/her true colors.

Here's one story I can tell, a secondary one (I can't tell the main one).

I was herb shopping in Chinatown in NYC, headed on foot for the biggest and the best, Kamwo Tea and Herb Company. I stopped at the red light waiting to cross the street. An elderly, small, unremarkable Chinese woman was waiting with me. She said, look at all these cars, isn't it crazy? I said, yeah, definitely. She said, it's a good thing you took the subway. I said, yeah, absolutely. She said, then again, your right front tire... buy some moxa for that. I said, pardon me? The light changed to green, and the woman got going without paying any attention to me anymore.

Now the punch line. I wasn't aware of anything out of the ordinary while we were talking, then realized we weren't really talking -- not in English, most definitely, and not in Chinese, which I don't know anywhere near well enough for such a lively exchange. Moreover, soon as we parted company I realized I never opened my mouth at all and neither did she. Then again, how could she possibly know I took the subway? And how could she possibly know that my car was sitting in New Jersey with a flat right front tire? And worst of all -- moxa?!

But she knew I would figure out the connection between the right front tire and moxa, and that's why she spoke with me. Just having fun with me... And I did figure it out. And that's the way it usually happens, far as I know. A taoist master can get inside your head, that's the surest sign of the real thing... And if she finds nothing of interest to her there, she won't tell you she's been there, and you will never know.

• Like 2

I was herb shopping in Chinatown in NYC, headed on foot for the biggest and the best, Kamwo Tea and Herb Company. I stopped at the red light waiting to cross the street. An elderly, small, unremarkable Chinese woman was waiting with me. She said, look at all these cars, isn't it crazy? I said, yeah, definitely. She said, it's a good thing you took the subway. I said, yeah, absolutely. She said, then again, your right front tire... buy some moxa for that. I said, pardon me? The light changed to green, and the woman got going without paying any attention to me anymore.

Yes, Kamwo is the best. Your stories are cool too.

Most of my teachers teach me when I'm sleeping. But I don't realize that until after I wake up screaming...

A taoist master can get inside your head, that's the surest sign of the real thing... And if she finds nothing of interest to her there, she won't tell you she's been there, and you will never know.

This is true :) and once they get to know you they don't even need to be standing next to you to do it. Other than that no one would recognize a Taoist master on the street.

Edited by Starjumper7

Seeing as how a master wouldn't necessarily be recognised unless they wanted to be, wouldn't it be a much more useful exercise to consider how you might get a master to recognise you?

may i have mine with a little butter and jam?

:D

When I had money to spend on such things, It was Macadamia butter and Mango jam on organic multi-grain :rolleyes:

If I ever meet a true master that is what he/she will offer to me as an inducement to study with them... :D

Sharing the knowledge of a proper balance between a delighted palate and healthy living ...

Or in other words how to live on many(any) levels and realms of existance.... How to stay happy and safely healthy without limiting my activities to some namby-pamby pie in the sky...Nor mere power mongering for my deepest inner being... ( once i am realized as living as such)...

Thats it... a nice sandwich and perhaps a few well chosen words of advice, perhaps a knock to my noggin if I've run astray or aground by then...

I think the point made is that it will be up to the master to recognize me as worthy, before I will grow to realize him as a master...Because what is obvious to him is not yet obvious to me...

Funny, all this time I thought it was the hat...

;)

The hat yeh !

Taomew thats an impressive event you encountered there.

Edited by minkus

If he/she is a true taoist master, you wont recognize them

Mainly because our head is filled with a wish-list of "shoulds and woulds".

Otherwise, because they indeed hide their light.

I think what dao zhen points out in point 2) is especially important. It also differentiates Taoism from many other religions as Taoism always emphasizes the unity of physical health with spiritual accomplishment.

We have : Better physical condition gives rise to higher level of qi, which enables you to achieve better spiritual enlightenment, it then further upgrade your qi level....

As a popular taoist saying tells us :

Once jing ("sperm") is full, you do not think of sex( just opposite to what ordinary people think) ;

Once qi is full, you feel no hunger;

Once sheng( spirit) is complete , there is no need of sleeping .

( forgive my clumsy translation)

You can see that there are delicate interrelations among our body, qi and spirit .

In fact, understanding how jing( "sperm")-qi-Sheng(spirit) works as the great Trinity in Taoist system is always crucial to taoist practice.

Edited by exorcist_1699

...a nice sandwich and perhaps a few well chosen words of advice, perhaps a knock to my noggin if I've run astray or aground by then...

ah, that sounds ideal.

i could use a knock on the head right about now

ah, that sounds ideal.

i could use a knock on the head right about now

I guess that means you've run aground or perhaps astray? Or at least feel as if you have... :huh:

If you realize it, then you've already given yrself a knock- a wake-up call as it were - to start a new path or maybe regain ground on one you've not set foot on for a while...

Meditation is the start -(IMHO), just relax into a deep reassessment of yr direction as if it didn't really matter, just a casual perusal of yr self...

That is how the best steps I've taken - always began... B)

If yr just down and grumpy/glum... -May the Farce be with you ! :P

- Because, laughter is the best medicine! :D

- Because, laughter is the best medicine! :D

Definetly.

Ken Cohen says maybe there is a reason the words cosmic and comic are so similar.

Also, Max(Kunlun) mentioned something that could probably go in the latest "who am I?" thread people are talking about. When you are laughing, where are you?

I learned from first hand experience with a bad case of flue this week the moments that really helped me feel good where laughing my ass of watching Comedy Central.