Sign in to follow this  
Jadespear

Ching Chin Ching, "The Classic of Purity"

Has anyone read or given thought to the prose of the Ching Chin Ching? 

... I find the Legge translation quite inspiring and factual... especially this part - 

"In that condition of rest independently of place how can any desire arise?  And when no desire any longer arises, there is the True stillness and rest.  That True (stillness) becomes (a) constant quality, and responds to external things (without error); yea, that True and Constant  quality holds possession of the nature."

"In such constant response and constant stillness there is constant Purity and Rest.  He who has this absolute Purity enters gradually into the (inspiration of ) True Tao.  And having entered thereinto, he is styled Possessor of the Tao."

"Although he is styled Possessor of the Tao, in reality he does not think he has becomed possessed of anything.  It is as accomplishing the transformation of all living things, that he is styled Possessor of the Tao."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I donno. I love Legge dearly but to me his prose is bland and tedious, i only slog my way through it because his translations are precise and voluminous. His best works are early texts, not this late Buddhist  copy-catting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingjing_Jing

Also he makes the classic mistake

9 hours ago, Jadespear said:

in reality he does not think he has becomed possessed of anything. 

should be "he obtained being-nonbeing 實無所得。"

• Thanks 1

Ok.  Thank you.  

That whole way of juxtaposing opposite words to express a paradoxical meaning is a zen buddhist type of prose, isn't it?  It's not a classic taoist way of writing in my understanding...  too often buddhist ideals mix with taoist ones...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jadespear said:

zen buddhist type of prose, isn't it?

It is. Life is based on dualism which is always paradoxical anyway.

• Like 1

Is there a reason why this text is not mentioned in the forum, or maybe I haven't found postings about the 清靜經: Qīngjìng Jīng yet? It seems that there are many English translations out there and this text is quite common reading or reciting text for religious movements. Any ideas why is it important aside clarity and purity and observation practice?

On 6/28/2020 at 4:14 AM, Mig said:

Is there a reason why this text is not mentioned in the forum, or maybe I haven't found postings about the 清靜經: Qīngjìng Jīng yet? It seems that there are many English translations out there and this text is quite common reading or reciting text for religious movements. Any ideas why is it important aside clarity and purity and observation practice?

Maybe you can see this  : https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40698-jing-of-tranquility-清淨經/

Edited by exorcist_1699

Sign in to follow this