dwai

Being stable in the Self-knowledge

I recently had some conversations with one of my spiritual mentors and subsequently one of my spiritual brothers. The topic of being stable in the Self-knowledge came up. Being stable in the Self-knowledge to me means, never losing track of the fact that it is the Self that is witnessing all the drama which unfolds on a daily basis upon the body and the mind.  

Have a hard day at work or at home or in traffic or ______ (fill the blanks in)? If we get caught up in the issues (and hence suffering), then we are not stable in Self-knowledge. Because being stable means we will not suffer one bit. Even if the occurrences obfuscate our true blissful and unaffected nature for even an instant, in the very next instant the knowledge will pull us out of suffering, like a safety line will pull a bungee jumper out of the river as he/she takes a plunge.

Being stable means our peaceful nature is never dependent on or is threatened by any occurrence or event. Our true nature is like the sky, which unaffected by the different shapes, sizes of clouds, winds and storms that blow across it. Similarly, irrespective of samsāra and its processes (good or bad), we are always the unaffected, unafflicted awareness.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dwai said:

I recently had some conversations with one of my spiritual mentors and subsequently one of my spiritual brothers. The topic of being stable in the Self-knowledge came up. Being stable in the Self-knowledge to me means, never losing track of the fact that it is the Self that is witnessing all the drama which unfolds on a daily basis upon the body and the mind.  

Have a hard day at work or at home or in traffic or ______ (fill the blanks in)? If we get caught up in the issues (and hence suffering), then we are not stable in Self-knowledge. Because being stable means we will not suffer one bit. Even if the occurrences obfuscate our true blissful and unaffected nature for even an instant, in the very next instant the knowledge will pull us out of suffering, like a safety line will pull a bungee jumper out of the river as he/she takes a plunge.

Being stable means our peaceful nature is never dependent on or is threatened by any occurrence or event. Our true nature is like the sky, which unaffected by the different shapes, sizes of clouds, winds and storms that blow across it. Similarly, irrespective of samsāra and its processes (good or bad), we are always the unaffected, unafflicted awareness.

a.k.a.  Satguru, and or total renunciates with there  maybe being one per billion of such souls helping us out on earth...glad they attained it and before or when the cosmic cycle ends we will all be stable, for there is only one Self of us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3bob said:

a.k.a.  Satguru, and or total renunciates with there  maybe being one per billion of such souls helping us out on earth...glad they attained it and before or when the cosmic cycle ends we will all be stable, for there is only one Self of us.

:)

When cosmic cycle ends, another will start. :)

9 minutes ago, dwai said:

:)

When cosmic cycle ends, another will start. :)

yep,  another blink of an eye.   (following Om all the way back gets kinda of hairy in parts)

5 minutes ago, 3bob said:

yep,  another blink of an eye.   (following Om all the way back gets kinda of hairy in parts)

And yet, the jiva continues to suffer so long as identification as atman is not done. Does the jiva ever get liberation? :)

3 hours ago, dwai said:

And yet, the jiva continues to suffer so long as identification as atman is not done. Does the jiva ever get liberation? :)

some say when karma, ego, and any mis-understanding of Shakti are all resolved, along with the help of Grace.... then that which is already there is revealed ! (unveiled) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 3bob said:

some say when karma, ego, and any mis-understanding of Shakti are all resolved, along with the help of Grace.... then that which is already there is revealed ! (unveiled) 

To whom? :)

6 minutes ago, 3bob said:

ItSelf, 

(who is not a composite whom)

Jiva or Atman?

2 hours ago, dwai said:

Jiva or Atman?

why ask questions you already know the answers for?

2 minutes ago, 3bob said:

why ask questions you already know the answers for?

:) for posterity...

Stability is very important.

Stability means that self-recognition is stable.   Not that conceptual words are stable, but the self-recognition state is permanent and unchanging.

It is not even being always aware of the Witness because then you have to go back a step.

First become the Witness, don't have a Witness, merge into it until you are the Witness then there is no Witness only you.   Until you do that you cannot have stability.

Saying that you are never threatened is not really the right attitude.  Even if you would survive death, dancing across a busy highway not feeling threathened is not right is it.   It is a defensive compensating attitude for someone who doesn't understand life.

But anyway, first become the Witness, then learn to maintain self-recognition, then maintain it during daily life.

Then become useful to life in all regards.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 9:18 AM, dwai said:

Our true nature is like the sky, which unaffected by the different shapes, sizes of clouds, winds and storms that blow across it. Similarly, irrespective of samsāra and its processes (good or bad), we are always the unaffected, unafflicted awareness.

good post.  I have yet to meet anyone who is not, or never affected by life, or ever gets moments of feeling down, or in a funk, as it were.  but that is only my experience.  might be folks like you speak of, who are unaffected by the changing world.

At the point I am at on this journey,  while I might have moments of feeling sad, or fearful, it just does not last anymore.  like the clouds you speak of in your example, it comes and goes,  and I am seeing that this "cloud" of what I use to think and believe as being something  negative, or bad,  also brings much needed rain, in a figurative sense .  so even the so called "bad things" are perfect,  and here for a reason,  it has all made me what I am today.  wouldn't change a thing, even if I could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zen Pig said:

good post.  I have yet to meet anyone who is not, or never affected by life, or ever gets moments of feeling down, or in a funk, as it were.  but that is only my experience.  might be folks like you speak of, who are unaffected by the changing world.

At the point I am at on this journey,  while I might have moments of feeling sad, or fearful, it just does not last anymore.  like the clouds you speak of in your example, it comes and goes,  and I am seeing that this "cloud" of what I use to think and believe as being something  negative, or bad,  also brings much needed rain, in a figurative sense .  so even the so called "bad things" are perfect,  and here for a reason,  it has all made me what I am today.  wouldn't change a thing, even if I could.

That's wonderful! One day, in meditation I had a vision/realization/experience. The knowledge that our true nature is ever blissful and joyous -- it is love itself, arose spontaneously. As that happened, a thought arose "If that is the case, then why is there so much pain which is interspersed with pleasure intermittently?" 

Right away, the knowledge arose "Pain and pleasure are like bubbles in soda. What seem like pain and pleasure to the individual personality, are just bubbles rising and falling in Being. If we narrow the field down to a handful of such occurrences, they are pain and pleasure. But when experienced at a much larger scale, they are nothing but bliss.." 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1