Sign in to follow this  
Zen Pig

False lineage narrative with “Mooji”

I am fascinated at our human ability to create a belief system, or a guru who we worship. 

I am reminded of the 4 century BC statesman Demosthenes who said: 

"A Man is his own easiest dupe-

For What he wishes to be true,

He generally believes to be true". 

Back in the day, more than 20 years ago, when Eckhart Tolle wrote "The power of Now", which I read,  and it did make a big impression on me to the extent that i dropped my original soto Zen,  and started looking into the whole promise of "awakening" in the western fake neo-Advaita movement for about two years, until I started to see the manitic ego involved in it.  I even use to listen to Mooji, until I got that itch on the back of my head that told me, "something is off about this guy".  The last time I even looked at him was about a year or more ago,  when I locked on one of his "satsangs"  and he had this very young man, or teen who had laid his head on Mooji's lab during the entire "teaching'.  Right then, I knew something was very wrong.

Now I find this news,  and to be honest, have not fact checked it,  so it might just be someone trying to lamblast Mooji, but from what i have seen, it does have a ring of validity to it.  

Would be interested to know if anyone else got caught up in this time period.  cheers. and Happy Friday. 

• Like 2

While I am not a fan of guru bashing, as I believe there are true gurus (light) in the world, I am always saddened when people start to believe their own marketing hype. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

I am always saddened when people start to believe their own marketing hype. 

yes,  I have written about this in the past.  I do think that many of these "bad guru's"  might have started out with a real awakening experience or several,  and started to teach with good intent.  

It seems to be human nature to let this kind of thing go to our heads,  and we change due to the desire for power.

I am sure the same thing would have happened to me,  if I had chosen to walk down that road.  like the old saying goes, "Man's got to know his limitations"  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zen Pig said:

yes,  I have written about this in the past.  I do think that many of these "bad guru's"  might have started out with a real awakening experience or several,  and started to teach with good intent.  

It seems to be human nature to let this kind of thing go to our heads,  and we change due to the desire for power.

I am sure the same thing would have happened to me,  if I had chosen to walk down that road.  like the old saying goes, "Man's got to know his limitations"  

I also think there is a lot of ego/media driven "grade inflation".  Very common for someone to have some energetic opening, read a book, and then declare it as awakening/realization/done.  Like a spiritual ego trap where you get stuck.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

I also think there is a lot of ego/media driven "grade inflation".  Very common for someone to have some energetic opening, read a book, and then declare it as awakening/realization/done.  Like a spiritual ego trap where you get stuck.

Agreed. The first big energetic opening can shift your perspective big time.

And while it’s a major turning point, I also feel it’s where the “real work” begins. Like up to that point, your just trying to “get there”. And once your “there”, then you realize it’s about being here.

And “here” has its own stuff you were never aware of before. 😄 Always new stuff that’s unfolding - it is never done. 

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 5

Along these lines it was tragic to recently read about the arrest following sexual abuse charges against John of God. But if the charges are true, this is not surprising during our current Kali Yuga age where the abnormal is the norm. Souls incarnating with great spiritual gifts yet there ego has not been disconnected so they have a great fall from Grace. The problem is that then some people over generalize about this and think that all gurus are not the real thing. Guru means remover of darkness which is the bringer of Light. That is the role of a true guru. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tao stillness said:

Along these lines it was tragic to recently read about the arrest following sexual abuse charges against John of God. But if the charges are true, this is not surprising during our current Kali Yuga age where the abnormal is the norm. Souls incarnating with great spiritual gifts yet there ego has not been disconnected so they have a great fall from Grace. The problem is that then some people over generalize about this and think that all gurus are not the real thing. Guru means remover of darkness which is the bringer of Light. That is the role of a true guru. 

Thanks, I did not know that happened with John of God.  I am only vaguely familiar with him, but a friend of mine's wife goes down every year to see him.

It's my belief that if a Guru is truly bringing Light, the "powers of the world" will make it hard for them to reach a massive audience.  There are a few exceptions, of course.  But just think of Jesus and the pharisees... that is still happening today.  Though the light still finds its way from the inside out, not through media or crowds of followers. 

Jesus said, "The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so. As for you, be as sly as snakes and as simple as doves." -Gospel of Thomas verse 39

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, Zen Pig said:

I am sure the same thing would have happened to me

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Lincoln

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh  reconfigured as Osho, along with people looking the other way when it came to the crimes committed by him and his people at his the Oregon compound - are still selling books and making money for an organization  after his passing.

But I'm also thankful for the True Guru's and the Grace of Guru that helps pierce the mind veil!

Edited by 3bob

Sign in to follow this