Sign in to follow this  
Jeff495Caldwell

Not mixing

Hello.  

What are people’s opionins on when a teacher says to not mix systems.  Yes other teachers say it’s ok as long as they are spread apart.  Is it a dogmatic idea or one in truth?  

Jeff

2 minutes ago, Jeff495Caldwell said:

Hello.  

What are people’s opionins on when a teacher says to not mix systems.  Yes other teachers say it’s ok as long as they are spread apart.  Is it a dogmatic idea or one in truth?  

Jeff

Depends on the system and practices.  Some systems are integrated well and adding additional practices could result in some form of overload.  Also, views may be different and that can result in different outcomes at a more subconscious level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff495Caldwell said:

Hello.  

Jeff

Hi,

Good systems are internally consistent and use terminology and some more subtle ways of communicating in a way that adds up to whatever the goal of that system is.  If you mix systems you can get confused by overt and subtle differences which might impede progress.

Having said that if you yourself are clear about what you are doing it is perfectly possible to study different systems and learn from them all.  It all depends on whether you want to do the work and have clear enough understanding to do this.  For many its not a great idea 'cos you can end up with a mush which doesn't really work.

I don't think its about dogma as such but more consistency and application.

Of course you must make your own mind up about this.

• Like 4

Pretty much what it has been stated is true. Let me add something please:

1. *Beginners ---> no mixing

2. Intermediate ---> it depends on what is being incorporated

3. Advanced ---> free play. You are on your own.

*Stick to your teacher's advice or you will miss entirely the benefits of the system which has been passed on for many generations and as a result it has been truly tested and perfected. Don't let your ego come in the way. This is the hardest part of the journey for beginning students hence the saying: it's hard to find a good teacher but even harder to find a good student.

Hope this answer helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am currently mixing and am at my absolute limit. I live and learn...

I am most familiar with Tibetan Buddhism, and the lamas also say not to "mix" practices. It's the same in all the esoteric traditions, and there are good reasons for it. You CAN do several different energy practices from different lineages, as long as you space them out properly and separate them. But you wouldn't mix them up in the same practice session, or mix them up together as one practice. Even the Dalai Lama doesn't do that. :)

Edited by BluLotus

On 1/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, Jeff495Caldwell said:

Hello.  

What are people’s opionins on when a teacher says to not mix systems. Yes other teachers say it’s ok as long as they are spread apart.  Is it a dogmatic idea or one in truth?  

Jeff

It's not dogmatic. When you're working with really powerful energies that have different qualities, they can clash when they are mixed together.

Edited by BluLotus

Sign in to follow this