Slypher5005

Qigong deviation, how can I solve?

Last month, On December 2018 I practiced for 10 days Zhan zhuang qigong but I did not make the practice correctly and I started to have some physiological complaints:  blenching, gas, hear ringing (tinnitus), a comeback of reflux gastroesofagian and the worst a feeling of tension/pressure/malaise in the lower abdomen, even a fasciculation of the left eye (eyelid and around). Over time some symptoms are reduced, blenching, gas and reflux are back to normal, but I'm still having hear ringing, fascicolation (this seems to be reduced over the last few days), but I don't know why the sensations in the abdomen returned since a couple of days and this gave me a lot of fear, I risked two panic attacks (I have a story of anxiety, solved with a psychologist)

Needless to say that I did not practice Qigong again (only those 10 days and stopped) and I'll never do, at least without a qualified teacher.

At the moment I'm quite troubled and I don't know what to do, I have an idea, but I'd like somebody here to give me their opinions.

Please consider that I am a newbie.

Thank you.

That is a shame what you've experienced there. Normally when you first start ZZ, the combination of boredom in the mind and pain in the legs are enough to limit the duration of your stand so that you don't really risk any dangerous side effects.

I wonder what pose you used, what depth you stood at and how long you stood for?

It is said that when you do start out, the extra energy in the body does aggravate some old aliments, but this is in fact just old injuries healing themselves and passes with practice.

However, the degree of what you've experienced does suggest that it's worth letting these things settle down a bit first. It's also probably better to start off with a moving practice when you're feeling a bit better. Is there a medical doctor you can see how could help you?

I do have faith that the practice can heal many issues, but it might not be right for you right now.

• Like 2

These things also happen to me, it is part of clearing process.   If not used to it can be disturbing, but if want to make big progress then want more to happen, but can take months or years for clearing to happen so can be worrying perhaps if first thing ever done.

Not sure why you doing ZZ ? 

Anyway shake it out not worry too much.  Watch football.

1 hour ago, Slypher5005 said:

(I have a story of anxiety, solved with a psychologist)

Hi! 

Anxiety really messes with your autonomic nervous system. Even if you have worked with the cognitive aspects of anxiety and no longer suffer, your body can still be out of balance. 

Sometimes zz is a bit to on the mark, and in those cases dynamic movements might be a better option to start with. 

In zz the details are important, like alignments and so on, so starting again under supervision is a good choice. I am sure if this thread moves on, someone will recommend flexing your perineum. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Miffymog said:

I wonder what pose you used, what depth you stood at and how long you stood for?

At most 30 minutes, but started with 10. I made 3 poses, tha basic standing, the "ball kept low" and the one in which you "hug" the ball at the chest (I don't remember the names), anyway the very basic poses.

Is there a medical doctor you can see how could help you?

I made an appointment with a TCM medic, he practises acupuncture, he's 30 years experience, I hope he can help me out.

Edited by Slypher5005

Let's see if I can make a diagnosys with what you told me.

blenching - From shyness indicates a gall bladder disarmony.

gas - How did it smell? If it wasn't smelly, then that indicates a Spleen-Qi deficiency.

hear ringing (tinnitus) - Is it low or high? Do it worsen when you press your hands on your ears? Seen as it just popped out of nowere, it indicates Liver disarmonies (Liver Fire, Rising Liver Yang, Liver Wind).

a comeback of reflux gastroesofagian  - Stomach Qi Revolt.

and the worst a feeling of tension/pressure/malaise in the lower abdomen - Feeling of distension on the lower abdomen points to Liver Fire and Fire-Mucosys in the Bladder.

even a fasciculation of the left eye (eyelid and around)  - Liver disarmonies, specially rising yang.

I suppose you have also been very easily aggravated, choleric even?

That your face has been showing signs of being quite red recently, and that you have been feeling like you're overreacting to everything ?

If so, I would definetely point at a Rising Liver Yang condition, probably caused by a Liver Fire. The reflux comes from the Liver attacking the Stomach, and the blenching comes from the Gall Bladder Qi being deviated.

That can be connected to the Standing Qi Gong by a lot of factors. Even the initial relaxation itself, if touching on old traumas and psychological barriers, can be the reason why your Liver has produced Inner Harmfull Fire.

Going to a TCM doctor is a nice idea. I obviously cannot assure you this diagnosys has any meaning, as I have purely looked at the symptoms and not at your whole life history and other symptoms which you yourself might be unaware of.

However, be mindful of how you're feeling during any Qi Gong practice. It affects your emotional and mental existences, as much as it affects your body. Emotional and mental disconfort during Qi Gong practice easily transform into physical disease, so go easy on yourself :)

22 hours ago, rideforever said:

These things also happen to me, it is part of clearing process.   If not used to it can be disturbing, but if want to make big progress then want more to happen, but can take months or years for clearing to happen so can be worrying perhaps if first thing ever done.

Not sure why you doing ZZ ? 

Anyway shake it out not worry too much.  Watch football.

Careful with attributing symptoms with general clearing.

You're right that Qi Gong is often very uncomfortable during practice... but the discomfort, pain or any symptoms should generally end when your practice ends.

In between practice you should generally feel really good (although there’s usually an emotional grumpy stage that comes on in the first couple of years).

I'm no TCM expert. But from a Qi Gong perspective it sounds like your Qi is rising under pressure (causing all these yang heat issues).

I would generally try to dissuade beginners from ZZ. There are certain changes that need to be made in the body and mind before ZZ is safe and productive.

In particular one really needs to learn how to open and sink into the kwa, Song (release), Ting (listen inside) and Sink the Qi. You generally do this in Wuji standing posture (which is different in different lineages). Once you can sink Qi and your ‘qigong body’ starts to take shape, then you can add in extra pressure with ZZ.

• Like 1