cg4tw

Hello, Cg4tw, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hi cg4tw,

Thank you and welcome. I wish you success on your path as well. 

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Hi cg4tw, Welcome to TDB.  Wish you success in your pursuit to become an immortal.  Just curios, are you wishing to become physically immortal with the body or to achieve something like a rainbow body of light?  Do you follow any particular tradition or practices?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cg4tw said:

Hi s1va you could say that I am trying to achieve immortality of will so that even without a body and the construct of a universe and its physical laws I can exist.

Some would say you always have existed and always will.

funny, I was just thinking that my favored style of immortality would be to grow old, and at some point have control to set myself back to say, 22.  At which point the clock starts again.  No healing powers, or super powers other then that reset button.  An accident could kill or cripple me, but risk adds spice to life.

Growing old is an integral part of the human experience.  Just seems one life time is too short, but after a few, I think I'd call it quits and see what if anything comes next. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cg4tw said:

Although that may be true I would very much like to keep my memories.

I thought that too but a preamble I often do before meditation is

I'm not my body, it is the vehicle I inhabit and a prized possession. 

I'm not my thoughts, they are like clouds passing in the sky

I'm not my emotions, I acknowledge and let them settle..

I'm not my past.. future.. possessions, family..

..I strive to be breath and awareness.

A couple years ago, I had a heart procedure, a stent was put in.  I was doped up, but not completely under.   I heard the surgeon say, 'well this isn't going well'.   Because I so often repeated  I'm not my body.. not my thoughts, I could accept the moment gracefully.  Keep calm and be with whatever happened next without fear.  

or maybe it was the drugs but holding things too tightly, creates tension and fear. 

On 1/11/2019 at 3:20 AM, cg4tw said:

Hi s1va you could say that I am trying to achieve immortality of will so that even without a body and the construct of a universe and its physical laws I can exist.

...a will, is an aspect of a consciousness.  Consciousness is continually in flux... impermanent.  It does not matter what you think you can achieve or hope to dream..... you are like all of us; subject to conditions of existence.  A far greater goal for you would be to inquire into what existence actually is, how it behaves, and how your being relates to it, that way you may be able to understand if you could ever exist with your "will" outside of it.  As to aspects of what a "will" is - I have only found two types, my own and everyone else's, and the will of the universe....

• Like 1

While every spirit is its own, and has freewill, there is an end to understanding the nature of that.  Rules as you speak of seem to sound like tradition and hierarchical formulation.  Those are not the conditions of existence I speak of.  I agree that some rules of society and even personal conceptual thought are to be transcended.  But, Taoism is not about disharmony with immutable universal law and principle.  It is about the exact opposite.  While endless intellectual debate is entertaining, it also has an end.  Taoism is rooted in the understanding of the Tao and the embracing of the truth of what that is. If you think going against “the heavens” is a wise idea... than go ahead and do that and see how far you go.  What you will eventually discover is that you really can’t , unless you choose the path of abnormality and ridiculous ego driven insanity, as do all rebellious spirits that forsake the true Tao.  That path is long, sad, and hard and based in blatant ignorance.  Ignorance as in ignoring truth in light of what you like to believe.  

“ the will of heaven cannot be overturned” - Liao Sifu- “ magus of Java.