dao zhen

Taoist Master Interview Questions

Dear friends.

I hope you are all fine.

In the spirit of sharing Tao, I have the below offer for Tao Bum members.

I will conduct two interviews and post the answers here for members.

The Interview will be with:

1. A ranking member of White Cloud Temple who is involved in activity with the China Taoism Association.

~ Please ask this master questions related to history, temple life, temple education, rules and regulations, Taoism policy in China, Taoist custom, Taoist tradition, Temple structure and management, etc.

2. An Accomplished Master in Taoist Internal Alchemy - Dragon Gate Sect of Complete Perfection Taoism.

~Please ask questions related to practice of Taoist Internal Alchemy & Qigong: theory, practice, experiences, method, proper practice, etc.

I will compile two sets of questions based on your ideas and mine.

I will then submit the questions to these two Masters, and then wait for the reply.

Once received, I will then post them here for your reading pleasure, and education.

I think this can help to shed much light in an area that seems to be full of fog and mystery for many.

I look forward to your questions and ideas, and please keep them simple and practical.

With all my best wishes and respect.

Sincerely, Jesse

Thanks Dao Zhen good idea!

CTA Member:

1. Where do you see the future of Daoism and do you think it is getting diluted due to the business-like structure of modern times?

2. Do you ever see the CTA opening a Daoist College for Westerners?

3. Is the CTA ever going to publish a completely translated Daoist Canon in English.

Daoist Master:

1. Is it possible to still reach the high levels of internal accomplishment while living in modern society without the serene and tranquil atmosphere of temple life?

2. Do you recommend fasting (cai) once in a while?

3. Do you prefer abstainance or sexual cultivation methods for alchemy practice as I know the Dragon Gate Sect is more of a monastic sect?

Wudangspirit

Dear friends.

I hope you are all fine.

1. A ranking member of White Cloud Temple who is involved in activity with the China Taoism Association.

~ Please ask this master questions related to history, temple life, temple education, rules and regulations, Taoism policy in China, Taoist custom, Taoist tradition, Temple structure and management, etc.

2. An Accomplished Master in Taoist Internal Alchemy - Dragon Gate Sect of Complete Perfection Taoism.

~Please ask questions related to practice of Taoist Internal Alchemy & Qigong: theory, practice, experiences, method, proper practice, etc.

I will then submit the questions to these two Masters, and then wait for the reply.

Once received, I will then post them here for your reading pleasure, and education.

I think this can help to shed much light in an area that seems to be full of fog and mystery for many.

I look forward to your questions and ideas, and please keep them simple and practical.

Sincerely, Jesse

1What would be the proper role of Taoism and Taoists in improving the world?

2What is the first step that could be given to anyone that if carried out properly would ensure moving forward to the next step in Taoist cultivation? In other words there is a lot of talk about practices but a lot of the information is about advanced stages and there is a lot of disagreement I think because the context and steps of the beginning are not clear.

Dear friends.

I hope you are all fine.

Sincerely, Jesse

to guy nr 2: A dictionary of taoist terminology would come in pretty handy. Would they mind sharing the basic tenets of taoist alchemy... jing, qi, shen, what are they, how does the understanding on them change from one level to another. Also what does neidan, yang sheng, neigong, shengong mean...

to guy nr 1: what are the most important rules in the taoist temples.

to whomever may concern: what is the meaning of "Dragon Gate", what is it exactly.

This is a great oppertunity.

Thank you dao zhen.

P.S.: Love your gallery :)

Please give us your questions.

We would love to know your ideas.

Sincerely, dao zhen

For the internal alchemy master: Could you elaborate on the nature of the dantien? It is a term used frequently in the west, but opinions differ. Are we born with our dantien, or must we "create" it? Does meditation fill or create the dantien? How do w know when the dantien is full or created?

I will have to think more about the question for the white cloud master.

Thank you so much for opening this up to us Dao Zhen!

My 1st question would be -how can we be of assistance to you?

Then we will all have to deal with translations of all & any of these esoteric things, which are very hard to understand -particularly at first...We will need the "magic" of oneness to build a bridge that will last through the many unknown changes ahead.

A meeting of minds is usually part of the growth that amounts to possitive change -when people aren't talking and learning from eachother ignorance will lead to strife, even where brotherhood could have been nurtured...So I hope this grows!!! :P:D

Thoughtful thinking Wayfarer. You do the Western world proud :)

I'd ask the alchemical Taoist about the importance of the microcosmic orbit. We have instructors who teach it using guided imagery, others who use chi gung forms to develop it and others who say it should come along naturally without force or mental effort. What does he teach?

I'd also ask how we should relate to the major organs in the body? Should we consider them as housing independent souls?

For both of the masters I'd ask;

I have a family, many responsibilities and often little time. Is there a particular practice they would recommend for a lay person such as myself to develop.

Jesse, many thanks for this opportunity.

Michael

Thoughtful thinking Wayfarer. You do the Western world proud :)

I'd ask the alchemical Taoist about the importance of the microcosmic orbit. We have instructors who teach it using guided imagery, others who use chi gung forms to develop it and others who say it should come along naturally without force or mental effort. What does he teach?

I'd also ask how we should relate to the major organs in the body? Should we consider them as housing independent souls?

For both of the masters I'd ask;

I have a family, many responsibilities and often little time. Is there a particular practice they would recommend for a lay person such as myself to develop.

Jesse, many thanks for this opportunity.

Michael

Dear Michale and all others who have taken the time.

Thank you all for your letters and questions.

I had hoped more would show interest, but it is fine and all of your questions are wonderful.

For those that have alresdy posted, please post new questions as you can think of them.

I can only submit such a list once, and I want to make it very complete.

I also will include questions I personally have.

I will focus more on the Alchemy questions, as that is my main area of interest.

I will include this question on the Small Water Wheel / Microcosmic Orbit.

It is maybe a misunderstood area in the West and in China, so I hope we can shed some light.

Again, I have no idea the depth at which these questions will be answered, but I will try my best

to sincerely, ask these teachers to open up as much as they feel they can for the public.

With all my best and please keep more questions coming!

Sincerely, dao zhen

yes, i can think of yet another question, but i dont know if either of them is interested or qualified to answer

that is, it would be very helpful for the taobums to grasp at a general idea of HISTORY OF TAOISM, at least its largest historical facts. what were the original several schools, how and when did other schools appear, is it possible to make a diagram with the "tree evolution" of schools and such.

this would make the credential issue come more clear, and will make every participant more mature when it comes to making decisions about which path to follow, and how much authenticity lies within it. this i think would be very beneficial for all the searchers and researchers out there.

another question pertaining history, would they like to comment this clasification of the so called six great paths:

Lei Shan Dao

Jin Dan Dao

Yang Shen Dao

Tong Ling Dao

Miao Tong Dao

Sha Mian Dao

is this clasification real, and if it is, could they issue some data on them. also i think this would come together with the first question

another question would be regarding the "elixir". i know many thing cant and shouldnt be said about it. at the very least, please ask them to share what do they know the "elixir" ISNT. there is so much mistery and assumption regarding it, that it would be better to specify WITH WHAT SHOUDNT THE ELIXIR BE CONFUSED...

another question... i assume by now those masters had their share of foreign students. judging by what they saw up until now, could they issue an oppinion on what would generally be the steps of cultivation adjusted to the western body/mind system

thank you for this opportunity

E

Thank you for your interest.

Yes, these masters are highly qualified by their personal experience and attainment.

The member from White Cloud Temple is a highly respected member who works with the China Taoism Association, China Taoism College of Tao, and is a 19th Generation Dragon Gate Taoist who has been mentioned in serveral publications and videos on Taoism in China.

He lives, works and teaches at White Cloud Temple which is the seat and headquarters of Lung Men Pai for all of China.

The alchemy master is also a member of Dragon Gate and received his training with a hermit in the Qian Shan range in the far north of China and also has traveled extensively to seek out elder masters for study in such remote areas as Kun Lun Shan, Qin Lin Shan, and others. He has real attainment, and deep knowledge of theory and history of alchemy.

You may judge for yourself when you read the response.

From my experience in Taoism, there is no real "exact" or "linear" organisation of it all.

So when we approach it from our western minds and seek to clarify - "What is this exactly."

Or, "What are the formal schools, or exact haistory."

It just does not quite meet the elusive and flexible way in which Taoism is organized.

In regards to a good teacher and method to follow and who is qualified or not:

In the end, students must follow their own heart.

In this regard, I am trying to provide as much factual information I can to members here, and they may make their own personal choice in their training and study.

Please keep more questions coming!

I would like to compile the lists as soon as possible.

With all my best regards.

Sincerely, dao zhen

oh i see, i didnt know that.

well then, exact or not, we still need some history lessons on taoism. we heard much about it from other sources, so why not from a Chinese source, its much better. the more he can say, the better. you have the right to adjust my questions anyway you want.

I think a good question would be which classic(s) give(s) the most guidance to those of us without teachers, but who still want to attain the Way. This is my main concern at the moment, anyway.

And thanks for making this happen dao zhen! :)

Please keep more questions coming!

Why dont you ask them if there is not something wrong with their teachings?

The texts talk about immortality and eternal youth but the monks seem to age and die pretty much as regular people.

Either texts are wrong or your teachers are wrong.

Question for Dragon Gate Master:

What is the ultimate goal of the practice, what state or realm do you end up in if you succeed, is it different from Buddhist enlightenment, i.e. becoming a Buddha, and if it is different, why is it desirable?

Thank you very much.

Hi Jesse,
Here are a few questions regarding inner cultivation for the Dragon Gate Sect Master:

1. Who is it that is practicing cultivation? If I recognize that "I" am just the thought that has chosen to act as overseer to the other thoughts, what is the benefit of cultivation and who benefits?

2. What are the names (preferrably Hanzi, pinyin, and English translation) of the points of the microcosmic orbit that the Dragon Gate students develop in their practice? Is it possible to give a summary of the points and in what order they are introduced? What are the siginificance of each of these points? Is he able to give us an overview or summary of the process of cultivation from the beginning to the higher levels?

3. What role, if any, does martial training in taijiquan, taijijian, or other martial arts play in his tradition?

4. What role does standing or walking meditation play in his tradition, if any?

5. Is there a specific diet that he recommends for those of us living in the real world and trying to maintain our cultivation regimen?

6. Does his tradition teach any physical exercises (qigong, martial,...) for physical fitness, internal health, and so on?

Questions for the White Cloud Master:

1. What is it that defines a Daoist historically? What I mean is, what is most important and what is shared by Daoists in the historical context? Is it a belief in certain gods? Is it political beliefs? Economic beliefs? Philosophical beliefs? Culture? Language? Or is it the practice of internal cultivation?

2. How confident can we be that the current Daoist traditions truly reflect the traditions that existed prior to the beginning of the 20th century? So much was destroyed or forced undergroud by the wars and cultural revolution of the 20th century that many believe the old traditions were lost and the new versions are reconstructions.

3. Is music used in the traditions on a regular basis? If so, is there any way that we can find samples?

4. What is the current relationship between the Daoist temples and the general population? Is Daoism currently playing an active role in the lives of younger Chinese?

Thanks very much for this opportunity Jesse!

Can ask you a question, Jesse? What are you currently doing and how is it that you have come to have this opportunity?
Best regards,
Steve

Edited by steve

I saw some very very nice questions allready here, here are some i like to add out of personal intrest.

For now only questions towards Master number 2 from the Dragon Gate Sect:

Do you practice an internal martial art ? wich one(s) or style ?

Does your practice make use of certain palm techniques aswell martial as healing ? can you elaborate ?

Can you shed a light on techniques used for healing purpose in your practice (selfhealing and healing others) ?

Can you explain more about the nature of yin (female/earthly) energy ?

Does your practice utilise tao-yin (so called empty force) for supporting spirituality ?

Can you give hints on the refinement and transmutation of one's own bodyenergy ?

Does your practice incorporate the use of herbal medicine to support spirituality ? ifso can you give an example ?

Does your practice utilise certain spirits or even deities to support spirituality ? if possible with an example ?

Can you elaborate on the rainbow body ? dragon body ? and is it a goal in your system ?

Wich accomplishment is regarded a high attainment in your system ?

Does your system make use of dreams to further develop spirituality ?

How does your practice looks up to the nature of reality, is it comparable towards the buddhist thought that reality is illusion ?

Does your practice include transcending reincarnation ? how about immortality practice ?

Thanx alot, with respect, Mike

Edited by minkus

Jesse,

this is a wonderful opportunity for us, and I feel warmed by your presence here.

I have several questions - of course you're free to choose which ones are most appropriate and change them in any way you see fit:

What is the connection between the emotions, the personality and the 5 organs/elements?

What is the prerequisite to working with the emotions/organs/elements?

How does one transform/integrate/work with the emotions/organs/elements?

What role do the organs play in his cultivation after extensive alchemical practice?

What role does the bone marrow play in alchemical cultivation?

thanks. I may have more later.

:)

What is Tao?

What is God (if they believe in it)?

And what is the difference, if any?

What is their ultimate goal?

Thank you all so much for your honest interest and questions.

Keep them coming!

It seems a majority of them are from the point of view relating to Alchemy Practice.

I also just received word from Teacher Qiu Yuanxing relating to my question regarding our interview project relating to history and temple practices - his reply -->

Dear Dao Zhen.

I know what you thinking about, but I can't do anything about this.

I think the god's eyes are very clear.

What can I do is to imitate the Nature.

Wu Liang Tian Zun - the name of all gods in Daoism.

Take care,

Teacher Qiu Yuanxing

White Cloud Temple

I think his letter is beautiful, and really maybe says it all.

I do not wish to push for an interview.

For those interested in history and Taoism practice, I have compiled the below links to help in your search.

Origion and Foundation of Taoism

*Philosophy and Religion -

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...ism/default.asp

*Daoism and Immortals -

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...ism/pg1-1-2.asp

*Historical Development of Taoism -

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...ism/default.asp

Northern Complete Perfection Taoism and the Dragon Gate Sect

*Complete Perfection Taoism Founder - Patriarch Wang Chongyang -

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...ts/pg1-3-20.asp

* Founder of the Dragon Gate Sect - Patriarch Qiu Chuji - student of Patriarch Wang Chongyang -

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois.../pg1-4-28-4.asp

* Seven Perfect Ones of the North - 7 students of Patriarch Wang Chongyang

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...ts/pg1-4-28.asp

Various Sects and Branches in Taoism

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...cts/default.asp

Eminent Philosophers and Accomplished Taoists

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...sts/default.asp

Grotto Heavens and Blissful Realms

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/general-daois...lms/default.asp

Contemporary Taoist Organizations

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-world-...ons/default.asp

Taoism Beliefs and Cosmology

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-beliefs/default.asp

Taoist Scripture

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-scriptures/default.asp

The Alchemy teacher is interested to help, and we are also talking to include some translation work such as the Yin Fu Jing - Classic of the Seen and Unseen or Ancestor Lu's 100 Character Tablet, or the like with some commentary.

So I will focus my efforts in this direction, as this is the real area where it is hard to get actual information.

I will try my best my friends.

Please keep more questions coming.

With my best wishes.

Sincerely, dao zhen

Dear Dao Zhen, thanks for the opportunity.

Here are my questions.

The first set of questions is on ethics.

Many people in the west learned Daoism from the various translations of the dao de ching.

Passages like:

All can know good as good only because there is evil. (chapter 2, but if you can use the original chinese)

Gave to us westerner, who grew up in a Christian upbringing with all its concept of comandments, sin and repent, the sensation that Daoism was really beyond this good vs. evil duality.

Is this really so?

Are there lists of precepts, and if there are, how universal are they?

Do all daoists follow the same precepts?

Are there precepts followed by all daoists?

Are there Daoists who has en ethical system, and thus teachings, that are not based on external precepts, and in case how are those systems developed (i.e. how do they define what is "ok to be done", and what is "not a good idea, not smart, ethically wrong"?)

On the various school around

* Are there school of Daoism, lineages, traditions that can be traced back to before the buddhism influence in China that are still active/alive? (i.e. pre alchemy)

How competitive are the various sects of Daoism between them?

In what relation are one with the other? (he will probably say that they are in all good relations)

And beyond the veil/secretly?(he will probably laugh, and then might give you a different answer)

on the believe system

In some religions, to be part of the religion you need to "believe" into something. There is the sensation that this might not be the case with Daoism. Is this so? And if this is so, what differentiates a Daoist by a non Daoist. And how does a person who is simply very interested in Daoist practices, who quietly works on himself and does his practice every day, stands. (In other words, according to him, people who practice Daoism in the west are Daoists, yes, no, the question does not make any sense, etc.)

Relation with Buddhism

What are the main differences respect to our Buddhist brothers in terms of practice, conduct and path.

As you have noticed I have not said to who you should address those questions. I think you will know this better than me. My only indication is that I would like the * question to be adressed to both.

Thanks again,

Pietro

Thank you all so much.

I will be working on the final list of questions tomorrow, and will submit them to the Alchemy Master.

Please include any further questions if you have them, and those that have already listed here, please list more.

I had a great day today with my Tao Brother Zi Rong.

We spent the day hiking in Wudang, praying and meditating in Purple Heaven Palace, and hiked up to the Xuan Wu Cave to visit the hermit there.

Here are some pictures of Zi Rong and myself from today below.

On another note.

We are going to try and sponsor one Tao Bum to come to China in June to take part in an intensive 17 day training in Authentic Taoist Alchemy Practice.

This will include all costs in China, but not the cost of airfare to china or the visa fee; they may need a little personal money to buy water, or some gifts.

We would like to have three Tao Bum members in good standing who are respected to form a "Board of 3" to choose one member - I will not be choosing.

I propose the member will need to have some basic experiene in seated meditation practice, but they do not need to be any sort of expert, just willing to come and learn sincerely.

A very sincere complete novice is fine also.

The member should also commit to the following -

1. To follow the guidelines we set for them in regards to lifestyle 3 months before coming to China.

2. To practice and follow the course training in China.

3. To take very extensive notes on all theory and practice methods taught; with the aim to teach them to others.

4. To have a good attitude, be sincere and have fun during the trip.

5. To commit to coming back and teaching what they have learned to at least 5 people - free of cost - I hope other Tao Bums - this should include all practice methods and theory. They will need to be able to organize a mini retreat of at least 9 - 14 days with these 5 new students and pass on what they have learned, same as it was taught in China - this condition does not have to be followed through if the tao bum member thinks the methods are not good, or false.

I will post an new page in the forum to get this started, but if you guys can help and start thinking who will be on the "Board of Three".

I hope this is of interest to the members, and we can get this project started.

I hope to have our member picked for China by March 1, and we can begin to prepare them with the lifestyle guidelines - such guidance and teachings will be done via email.

Enjoy the pictures below from today.

The other person in the pictues is my younger Taoist Brother -

Zi Rong Dao Ren - Wayfarer of Endless Capacity

With much love, dao zhen

This is Zi Rong and Dao Zhen at Purple Heaven Palace

gallery_8508_56_324620.jpg

This is a close up of the above picture at Purple Heaven Palace

gallery_8508_56_248482.jpg

Zi Rong Dao Ren - Wayfarer of Endless Capacity

gallery_8508_56_715881.jpg

Dao Zhen Dao Ren - Wayfarer of True Way

gallery_8508_56_1115887.jpg

Are proper cultivation and sexuality on a physical or subtle plane always mutually exclusive?

Do deities/spirits have any significance in daosim or are they to be considered illusion?

Is having a physical teacher essential for proper cultivation, or can wisdom about the how and where arise spontaneously?

These feel like naive questions for some reason. Feel free to omit all/any or even provide an answer yourself;)

edit: rephrased

Edited by freesun