manitou

Please leave ego aside to read this

Congratulations! I haven't experienced it myself, but I have read about it for instance in:

https://archive.org/details/cosmconscious

The experience isn't specific to any one religion or path, but the interpretation of the experience is. Particularly interesting are the many examples Bucke gives of persons who had the experience of cosmic consciousness.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Haha 1

LMAO wandelaar.

I clicked on yer link.  Did you include it because Richard Bucke was formerly the superintendent of the Asylum for the Insane??

No - I read the book myself many years ago,  and your description reminded me of cosmic consciousness as it is described in the book. Bucke's book is an early classic in the psychological study of mystical experiences. There are more up to date books on the topic today. But first it would be interesting to see whether your experience indeed falls in the category described by Bucke. If you feel that that is so, then you know what to look for when searching for more information on the internet and in books and articles. That's why I posted the link. Not to disqualify your experience in any way, far from it!

• Like 1

Funny thing is, a person doesn't need to check or compare it with anyone else's experience.  You just know a moment of satori when you have one. There will be no doubt in your mind.  It's unbelievable...it'll totally rock your world.  I just thought Bucke's background was a bit humorous.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing with us. 

One day see if you could dig up a copy of Pathnotes of a Ninja Grandmaster, silly title, great book.  Lots of discussions on enlightenment, bujinkan, Maatsumi.  Full of adventure as well as specific exercises. The stuff the KAP system was created from. 

5 hours ago, manitou said:

This is going to be a difficult thread to write, because something of the most profound nature happened to me last night.  I can offer no proofs other than a re-telling of my experience.  As DB's, we can inadvertently get a little competitive, as evidenced by the occasional spats on the threads - but I ask you to set ego aside as I relate this.  I offer this as a glimpse into what we all want here - enlightenment.

About 7 months ago I moved to the Palm Springs, CA area after my husband died.  The grief I experienced for over a year seems to have honed me in some way; like going through a fire and having  the extraneous burned off.  In the complex that I live in, there is a place I go daily to walk the dogs.  I met the people who live right there because they have a dog that looks exactly like mine.  We struck up a friendship.

Unknown to me, the man in the duo is a Bujinkan master.  He goes to Japan regularly to hone his incredible skills under Masaaki Hatsumi.  He is a well known teacher of this incredible ninja martial art in the U.S.. and other parts of the world.  I asked if he had videos online, and he indicated that there were several on youtube.  I starting watching his videos and those of Masaaki Hatsumi.  What I saw in them amazed me.  It is the Dao brought into the physical.  I recognized it immediately and confirmed it with him.  Captivated for some reason, I watched them over and over - couldn't get enough.  He gave me a study manual (much spiritual and psychological as well) and I've been reading it carefully.  For some reason, this tying together of the Dao as a philosophy and the Dao in form (Bujinkan) was what I needed to see.

I've talked about self-realization on this forum for a long time.  Apparently I didn't know what it really was.  I've walked the path of AA for 38 years and in working the steps, one removes layer after layer of shadow within - both through acknowledgment of the flaw and making amends for things done in the past.  I knew I was on the path to self-realization (I used to go to Manley Hall lectures in Hollywood and the seed was planted early in me, in the 1970's).  My association with TDB's has been just about the most instrumental vehicle for furtherance of this path because we come from so many points of view, and yet there are truths that lie at the bottom of these points of views, or paths, that are universal. After a while, rough edges and firm opinions within us are eliminated here.  In addition to the study of multiple religions to the point of transcendence of any particular path.

So, last night.  I was walking the dogs before going to bed and I stopped and looked at the stars for a few moments.  I was hit by a jolt of energy, seemingly coming from the stars, that I've never experienced in my life.  I immediately thought about Saul on the road to Damascus, how he was hit by a jolt, from my old Christian days.  I felt a little snap in my heart or brain, like someone snapping a small twig.  Something unblocked.

Immediately after being hit by this jolt which felt like an inner gulp of realization - not anything of the brain - I heard a voice in my head that said 'I AM an enlightened being'.  I immediately felt energy rushing out of me, going in all directions.  I started to tremble.

I have been a proponent of the I AM consciousness for 20 years, ever since studying The Impersonal Life by Anonymous.  Within this consciousness we realize who we really Are.  But I know today that I had never taken the actual inner gulp of self-realization that I took last night, where I actually experienced it.  At once,  my whole essence had no fear, no discomfort, radiating warmth, and an overall feeling of love for everything.

The realizations continued when I got home.  I jotted them down so I could tell you about them today.

First realization:  There is a responsibility with enlightenment.  It is our purpose as enlightened beings to act like an enlightened being, in speech and deeds.  It doesn't matter what we do with it, on how big or little a scale.  We are the torch bearers, the frequency holders.

-  We are all enlightened beings.  Every single one of us.  But it's not until we get that gulp of realization that we really are that we truly feel the truth of the matter.  No doubt remains.  No questions, no measurement of yourself vs. some master or fellow poster on the Bums.  You know in your entire persona.

Today I woke up with the thought 'I am an enlightened being' on my mind, first thing on waking up.  The glow remains with me.  I offer this experience to hear from others who may have gone through this, or as a little roadmap for what is no doubt coming for you too.

So wonderful of you to share this beautiful realization and I'm so happy that you've had this experience!

It's such a blessing.

:wub:

• Like 4

Hmm.... he thought Walt Whitman was enlightened.... <_< Was tempted to read the book before that.

Spoiler

No spoiler, I inserted this by mistake and couldn't delete it. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paragon said:

Hmm.... he thought Walt Whitman was enlightened.... <_< Was tempted to read the book before that.

Hide contents

No spoiler, I inserted this by mistake and couldn't delete it. :lol:

Why not read the relevant part of the book to see whether he is right about Walt Whitman?

And concerning the spoiler, you can always edit your posts afterwards...

It must still be possible to remove the spoiler by editing your post.

I will show it:

Spoiler

To be removed afterwards.

Do you see the spoiler?

Edited by wandelaar

39 minutes ago, paragon said:

Spoiler

Why would you assume Walt Whitman wasn't enlightened?

Edited by Lost in Translation
Added spoiler to reduce distraction.
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks for sharing this. It really reminds me of an experience I had several years ago just after finishing Qigong practice in my garden. I felt as if a sudden fresh breeze had swept through me, and the world around me was alive in  a  way I had never before observed. The usual "me" was like a distant memory, and I laughed gently at all the things I had been worrying about that day. I also felt what I'd describe as a "flickering" of energy, upwards through my face, it was intense but subsided gradually. I sat with a huge smile on my face for several hours, enjoying the deep peace I felt. Alas when I woke the next morning, I was back to "normal", and not only that, I had a bad headache, which is very out of the ordinary for me. Nevertheless it was a glimpse of something : )

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, manitou said:

I can offer no proofs other than a re-telling of my experience. 

Great story, and no, one cannot prove any of these "ah-ha" experiences. 

I relate to the energy you experienced.  years ago, I was walking out of our shop on campus, just thinking of nothing, and had an experience, which cannot be described.  All I can say that part of it, felt like I had been carrying 500 pounds around with me all my life, and suddenly it was gone.  I was amazed how much energy we waste trying to keep up our ideas and beliefs about what we think "is". 

The one thing I have learned with these experiences,  that for me, as amazing as that was,  there is no end. no finial goal.  for me, it is a never ending  seeing and unfolding, and the more it happens, the more human we become, owning our humanity, not pushing away things because of fear or sadness.   Happy for you.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, thelerner said:

Thanks for sharing with us. 

One day see if you could dig up a copy of Pathnotes of a Ninja Grandmaster, silly title, great book.  Lots of discussions on enlightenment, bujinkan, Maatsumi.  Full of adventure as well as specific exercises. The stuff the KAP system was created from. 

That happens to be the book that he loaned me.  He's got it highlighted, and he's  mentioned many times in the book as someone Glenn Morris trained under.  He's even put tabs in certain areas that he makes reference to.  He has a beautiful leather cover on the paperback book - tooled leather with clan symbols all over it.  The book has been so used, that just holding the book emits a warmth or love.  There's no explaining it.  I feel honored to have it in my house.  I suspect that what happened to me is related to my running into him.  Kind of like catching satori from another.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aetherous said:

Bujinkan is very interesting. Will you train with your friend now?

Bujinkan looks to me like a ballet, almost.  What an intertwining of the Dao and the physical plane.  Just to see it awakened something.  I wish I was young enough to take training.  But every time I see him he shows me a few things.  As I am a retired cop, I do have a certain amount of strength, courage, and know-how that needs to be tweaked with Bujinkan.  I am internalizing the blending of the physical with metaphysical right now.  I don't know how all this will fit into the physical.  I feel like I've gotten a treasure trove worth of training from him already, just from a few sessions.

Thanks for sharing! :) 

Isnt it bewildering how simple it all is? 

1 hour ago, dwai said:

Thanks for sharing! :) 

Isnt it bewildering how simple it all is? 

It's nothing more than a realization!  That's all.  And I guess we get the realization when everything comes together.  The inner feeling was kind of the same jolt I felt when my father told me there was no Santa Claus.  Only a little more positive....

Bewildering, for sure  :ph34r: (That emoticon was for the ninja Bujinkan involvement wrapped up in all this)

• Like 1

It's okay ... my ego can read and handle it  :) 

Ahhhh ..... a 'jolt'  ... from the stars even !   Mine was at an early stage and was, as they say, 'in broad daylight' and related to water /sky .

I think I have related my experience here in earlier threads, so briefly ;  I was young , maybe about 7, on holidays with family at a (salt)waterside house. Out the front, grass, trees, and a small beach with extended sand bar. High tide. I am standing up to knees on the flooded sand bar, looking into the channel, watching the tidal current move the long water weeds into a sinuous flowing dance. Then I see a woman is doing the same dance in amongst the weeds, deep underwater. I watched entranced then I thought ; " Wait, how can she breathe down there ... is it a mermaid? Silly me, it must be a reflection on the water's surface . But where is the woman?' I looked up and she was in the sky above me in a simmering silver egg shape and a bright blue sky. I felt a stream of energy come from her and connect with my forehead . A lot of 'information' (and a complex noise ) was passing into me, but I didnt know what it was.

Then I heard my name being called from far away and it got closer and kept calling . As it snapped me out of it I realised it was my mother .

" Nungaliiii !  "      ( sorry , time for a little joke  :) )

And then she started up on me ; " What on earth are you doing ? You have been standing out in the water for ages and ages and staring at the sky and you wouldnt answer me when i was calling you" .

Being young, I thought this was an unusual experience, but had no reason to think it wasn't 'normal', or I should  hide it, so I told her .

She told me "Not to be silly '  .  ....   and this from a Roman Catholic !  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got zapped. That experience made a big part of what I am. At various times in y life, of danger,  difficulty, enjoyment, mentation, realisation,  intuition, etc  I feel a connection with that energy and link that is still there, but now mostly 'unconscious' . It surfaces. Its also developed and linked in to  too much stuff to write about here .

Years later I realised : at the time I was attending 'Our Lady star of the Sea ' primary school.  She is the patron Saint of the ocean and mariners in trouble. Is one guise of many related forms . I am a  Cancer Sun sign (affinity with water, oceans, nurturing, motherhood Moon , emotions, etc )

image.png.8991d3f57666bf8390c1545860b7b75f.png

So, although, for now, the experience may be abstract, so some extent, I am sure you will be able to draw from it and be supported by it throughout your life. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, manitou said:

(That emoticon was for the ninja Bujinkan involvement wrapped up in all this)

As far as this bit goes;  my experience has become intimately involved (eventually, when greater understanding and experience comes with age { practice }  )  with the martial arts I did and the initiatory systems I was involved in .

Threads have an 'interesting' way of coming together in our lives . 

• Like 1

To simply allow yourself to be that love, in whatever way you can be, is the purpose of your life. And the best possibly way to maintain it then also is done by simply allowing yourself to be that love and feel it and continue to be and feel it, evermore. You can fulfill your reason for being here just by simply appreciating whatever you are capable of appreciating. That will always lead towards the full realisation of all that you truely are ment to be evermore in your ever becoming of the more of all that is who it is you truely already are.

• Like 2