Shad282

Freedom from Goals, targets and direction?

Hi! , Lately been feeling that goals, targets makes me feel tied, and more stressed and affects all my decisions and life just to reach those goals.

Once I achieve those goals or so, I feel free, relaxed and boost in my life, it feels like freedom from a specific direction.

Can we just live for the sake of living and without any objective, target and direction in life and is it possible?

I feel it is difficult for me, since having a target or a direction provide a sense of safety since you know where you are going and maybe have something to strive for? though i know these stuff aren't much healthy to have.

The question is where would I end up if I have no goals, targets or direction in life ?

Edited by Shad282

Hi Shad

I think if you took it to the extreme you would firstly dehydrate and die. But more realistically I guess that most people like to set goals to trigger that feeling they get from accomplishing their goal. Most goals are for personal development in some way, depending on ones outlook, that personal development could be rooted in greed and desire, but subjectively it is still personal development from their perspective.

You might know that one who practices meditation, doesn't necessarily need to rely on worldly triggers to experience that sense of accomplishment, because the autonomous system that would normally respond to the triggers of accomplishment can be largely under the practitioners control. That in and of itself is a sort of freedom, a freedom from the bondage that plagues many others that live within the constraints of attachment.

It's my opinion that goals can be useful, and even admirable when they are noble.

Edited by maheosphet
  • Like 3

I have learned that for me,  having or not having goals, or just letting life flow is not a mutually exclusive thing.  For me, like most humans, i have some goals,  but the flip side of that, is that my goals are fluid, not written in stone.

The Analogy I like to use is the river of life we all have to raft down.  Sooner or later, no matter how hard we try to swim upstream, we will end up down the river of life.

So i have a goal of getting down the river without hitting any rocks, so I choose a route.  But my route is fluid.  I am not stuck to my path, but remain flexible,  because sometimes the current changes, and I don't let it get my panties in a knot.  I just let the river help me down, all the while keeping my goal. 

• Like 4

You are so free, already, to choose whatever goal you want. The destination is not relevant. But if you already have a goal, remember just, It is about the joy of the journey towards that goal. If your goal is too difficult, simply set an easier goal, maybe set a sub goal and go for that. Too easy, set a more challenging goal, more exciting and stimulating. Not only will this be more enjoyable, but the joy of the journey, will thus then always lead you down the path of least resistance to the quickest way to the full blown manifestation of all that you want. But again, the destination is not, never will be and has never been the goal. The goal is in the journey. The goal is the joy. And it will last forever. There is no end to that here or anywhere ever. You are an eternal being. Freedom is your goal, currently, if I had to guess. Now, the point is, that you don't have become superman instantly. Then you become exhausted trying failing. And you don't get beyond step one. Maybe you just seek freedom the exhaustion and trying too hard, instead of just doing what needs to be done in a relaxedand easy going manner. 

Now take that idea of flying like superman. How does it feel? Joy freedom. Simple. It feels good. What can you do now? That feels like freedom. That feels good. No matter how small it may seem. Just do it, go for it and enjoy it. You may feel freedom by choosing to randomly go walk outside in any direction you wish and allow yourself to be that freedom in whatever way you can allow yourself to be that freedom. Now matter if only just a few minutes, go for it. Now after you're done, you can come back to whatever you call safety/home. But eventually, this enjoying the journey, is all that is ever required of you. It doesn't have to be big or small. Whatever feels right is right for you. Find that balance. Small freedoms always lead to bigger freedoms. 

Just like going to the gym, ur not going to instantly lift max weight, break your back, and then sit home and say "well... Damn... All those other people can do it, but I suck..." rather, you go to the gym for the enjoyment of YOU. Your own unique journey in life and as life. Never ever need to get anything done! If your work is too difficult, just take it easy. Relax. Take a deep breath. And do what works. Do what you know you can do. But trying too hard will never accomplish anything but unecessary exhaustion. And listen to this now:

You may think that you are unworthy because you are exhausted from work. Well, I'm gonna tell you here and now, what you are experiencing is the very same challenge that one of the most succesful formula 1 drivers is experiencing right now aswell. This is the experience of champions. Not kidding. 

He drives fast, and wants to go faster. I assume you are in a similar state. 

And he has a wise father who helps him out. You know what his father tells him? 

Whenever you wanna go faster, just know that you are going fast enough. 

Can you recognize the wisdom here? 

To appreciate the succes you already are having will always allow it to expand! Wether you go 1 mph or 200 mph. Doesn't matter. You are never ever gonna accomplish anything by taking a bigger step than you are ready for. If you can enjoy the succes of going slow, then you will also enjoy the succes of going slightly faster. But that happens when it is just the next logical best thing to do. It happens naturally automatically. You drive slow for a while, eventually, you know you're not gonna fail. So you take it up a notch. 

The joy truely is in the journey. And if you allow it to be, that journey then forever shows you how it is and that it truely is so. 

Even if you are free and you're traveling. You are always gonna experience things about that journey that are better. And that then will become your goal. But enjoying the reaching for the new and next and better, as your everlasting journey, and reason for existing and being alive, that truely sets you free from all destinations! Because you already know when you're gonna get to the next best destination, there's always still gonna be a better one. So there is never any rush. Even when rush is part of the joy you seek. You enjoy that rush and you don't experience it in a negative way at all. Why? Because you have nowhere to be but here and now! And you allow yourself to enjoy the rush regardless of wether or not you will make it in time or not. And that is often the reason why you will make it in time. When you no longer care about wether or not you will make it, that is always an indication that you enjoy the journey and thus succes is unavoidable and the universe just opens a path for you, because you have shown your readiness for the destination that you truely seek, by realising that it too is but another journey that you can enjoy more and more.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Everything said:

You are so free, already, to choose whatever goal you want. The destination is not relevant. But if you already have a goal, remember just, It is about the joy of the journey towards that goal. If your goal is too difficult, simply set an easier goal, maybe set a sub goal and go for that. Too easy, set a more challenging goal, more exciting and stimulating. Not only will this be more enjoyable, but the joy of the journey, will thus then always lead you down the path of least resistance to the quickest way to the full blown manifestation of all that you want. But again, the destination is not, never will be and has never been the goal. The goal is in the journey. The goal is the joy. And it will last forever. There is no end to that here or anywhere ever. You are an eternal being. Freedom is your goal, currently, if I had to guess. Now, the point is, that you don't have become superman instantly. Then you become exhausted trying failing. And you don't get beyond step one. Maybe you just seek freedom the exhaustion and trying too hard, instead of just doing what needs to be done in a relaxedand easy going manner. 

Even if you are free and you're traveling. You are always gonna experience things about that journey that are better. And that then will become your goal. But enjoying the reaching for the new and next and better, as your everlasting journey, and reason for existing and being alive, that truely sets you free from all destinations! Because you already know when you're gonna get to the next best destination, there's always still gonna be a better one. So there is never any rush. Even when rush is part of the joy you seek. You enjoy that rush and you don't experience it in a negative way at all. Why? Because you have nowhere to be but here and now! And you allow yourself to enjoy the rush regardless of wether or not you will make it in time or not. And that is often the reason why you will make it in time. When you no longer care about wether or not you will make it, that is always an indication that you enjoy the journey and thus succes is unavoidable and the universe just opens a path for you, because you have shown your readiness for the destination that you truely seek, by realising that it too is but another journey that you can enjoy more and more.

I m not sure it is possible to have a goal and just not worry about achieving it or not, because you should work yourself out in order to achieve a goal... setting a goal it expresses a need, a want, a desire... which means something you wish to achieve, and thus not achieving it means you were not able to satisfy this need or desire and so it means a dissatisfaction. 

Also, since it is a need or desire you wish to achieve, it is hard not to worry in your journey regarding whether u will achieve it or not. and it is will consume part of your energy and thoughts.

How would that rationale apply to the bodhisattva vow? I mean it's a goal that's not likely achievable, yet it is still noble.

Edited by maheosphet

7 minutes ago, maheosphet said:

How would that rationale apply to the bodhisattva vow? I mean it's a goal that's not likely achievable, yet it is still noble.

it is not a desire or a need or want for him. it wouldn't make him more happier or less happier. it is not a goal, it is a compassion toward all sentient beings to be like him.

I think it is still a want, for others to be liberated. (Being personally unaffected by it is part of spiritual evolution, that I alluded to earlier) And it is seemingly unrealistic as some don't want to be liberated.

It is true that it is not a selfish goal (for him/her), but a selfless goal (for others), which is one of the reasons I think it is noble.

Edited by maheosphet

6 minutes ago, maheosphet said:

I think it is still a want, for others to be liberated. (Being personally unaffected by it is part of spiritual evolution, that I alluded to earlier) And it is seemingly unrealistic as some don't want to be liberated.

It is true that it is not a selfish goal (for him), but a selfless goal (for others), which is one of the reasons I think it is noble.

yes basically not a personal goal

If you set a goal that is within your means, and you have a feeling of inner collapse about it .... what does that mean ?
I think it means that you have something in your inbox that you need to be with before you think about goals; there is something inside that needs listening to right now, remembering, feeling, crying, facing, reconciling ... and that comes first.   That's what it means.

So do that.
And sit with that, hold those feelings that are needing to be felt, be with yourself as you are, softly.
Later maybe a lot later when in a more open place you can think again about making avenues and directions for yourself that represent what you actually want.
The words "setting goals" bring to my mind the kind of unconscious force people in society use to plough through life without feeling anything at all, they are not good words ... and the "goals" are not really theirs but copied from expectations and all sorts of ideas about society that are part of a fake and silly world.   They are not really your goals at all.

I am here, I am, I am.   
I flow, which valley am I flowing in, flowing through, flowing within.   
My course, my life, my blood.

• Like 2

Goals are useful unless you fixate on them. As they say - when an airplane is flying to reach its destination (goal) - only for a fraction of the flight time is it actually on course - but it still arrives. Imagine if it had no goal at all though.

We tend to mix contexts. Having zero goals is not for us normal humans. When you’re a Sage and you come and go as you please, you can let go of any goals, but at any point before that, goals are a must.

It’s just important not to focus on the goal as you’re moving towards it. Have the goal, but focus on the task at hand. Set up a system of daily actions that move you closer to your goal - then just focus on those daily actions.

• Like 2

Still people think i m crazy or not thinking right to not have something to live for or something to chase in life. Not love, not personal goals or anything... Can't we just live just for the sake of living or existing ? is there always has to be a reason or a cause?

On 1/3/2019 at 5:31 PM, Shad282 said:

I m not sure it is possible to have a goal and just not worry about achieving it or not

So if you truely worry about achieving a goal, you should consider this. The only way you will ever miss your goal, is if you spend too much time worrying about missing it. So how do you go for a goal and not worry? Simple! You just keep your goal in mind, the passion or desire itself, and continue to act on that highest passion that leads you to wherever it does. Then when you seem to fail, instead of worrying or caring about it, you just get back up on your feet, and remember, you still have a goal, of desire, of something you truely want and enjoy. It's done! The goal is the full realisation of itself, so there's 0 reason why you should then worry instead of just get back up on your feet. You woulden't judge yourself for failing, because the desire is already there, it's not going away. You move with it because it feels endlessly better than not to move with it. You already created the desire, and it's perfect. So enjoy it, it will always allow your to feel that joy of the desire itself and it will always get you to move in the direction of it. But don't do it for the "thing" just do it for the fulfillment of the more expression of the state of being of joy, more and more, as that's always the path of highest succes.  The joy of the journey towards that desire. As that is who you truely actually are and are ment to be! And as you be that, you tell the universe, "Hey, universe! I'm home, I'm being who I truely am in this moment!" And the universe will thus then always bring to you exactly everything that is truely of your value and meaning and purpose in life, and of your truer greater desire, evermore. And as you then enjoy the journey, and don't care about wether you fail or not, you simply enjoy the ever expansion of the succes, of who it is you truely already are, in your ever expanding state. That expands upon every breathing, like a muscle, you click into gears with and click into alignment with the full blown realisation of all that you truely desire, that will always be more than all that you can possibly imagine you want. Ongoingly, in an ongoingly joyful journey. So insisting the desire to be fulfilled only in the way you can imagine it, is just gonna limit yourself. And that is always gonna cause dissatisfaction. Always as you move towards the fulfillment of the desire, and enjoy the journey, there is always a point where your desire continually expands into more and better, and why then would you limit it to become endlessly better than what you are capable of imagining it to be by worrying wether or not you are achieving it or not? You woulden't. You'd expand with your desire, move with it, and feel good as you do. And be flexible and free. To expand ever more into all that you'll ever going to become. And also be alright with what you can imagine your joy to be, but don't make it your GOD, but rather allow the joy and the feeling of satisfaction as you imagine your desire in the best possible way, allow that feeling of satisfaction, be your TRUE indicator of wether or not you are in alignment with your true purpose in life or not. Because the joy is always gonna expand! And your ability to imagine a greater version of it thus also has to be allowed to flow with it the ever expanding realisations of that joy and desire. So in other words, just keep enjoying what you enjoy, and the result is always gonna be the best and ever better, ever more.

Edited by Everything
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 6:01 PM, maheosphet said:

Exactly, how beautifully put. That's it! The center point of all power of paradox. You have a desire, that you can imagine, and it feels good, and it's never gonna happen in the way you imagine it (because your ability to imagine it is not the ceiling, but the lowest level of that desire, the floor), but the joy of it will always indicate that it is still the best possible route for you to take in that moment! The best possible thing that you can imagine in that moment! And so you can call it noble to thus then allow yourself to move towards that desire and not care, absolutely have zero insistance or expectation on any outcome whatsoever! To just go for it and trust it fully, 100%, and just accept anything and all that can possibly happen, because that's the fun of life, to live it and be and move in your ever inspired state of inspireling inspiralations, and allow yourself to navigate all these conditions in the most flexible possible manner that is of all your highest joyful expressions of your most joyful state of beings that you can possibly conjure for yourself in your ability to imagine all the best of all that you truely are evermore ment to be the evermore becoming of. That is the most noble and highly aligned path towards all that you can ever truely desire. To simply enjoy the journey, because... For the simple joy of it, and the feeling of pride in every step along the way, including the appreciation of whatever the best imagination you can have in that moment, that will always be allowed to evermore imagine an even better joy, in every new complete full realisation of all that you truely desire, evermore. But don't put the cart before the horse, if your imagined version feels good for you, then just go for it! Untill you can take it no further, and then imagine again, the best possible desire, and go for it, and again, and again, and again. expanding evermore in your ever joyful journey, of who it is you truely are. But insisting that something has to happen, that is not life. That is called waiting for something that you don't even want to happen and thus never will happen. Because you are evermore ment to be evermore. That is your true being of who it is you already truely are, as all that you truely already are, in your everbecoming.

Also, don't limit your mind in saying that something you don't even want is what it is you truely desire, and put nice words to it, saying that it is the best possible feeling you can conjure and imagine for yourself the envisioning of. Allow your heart and mind to work hand in hand and in harmony. Allow your heart to guide you to what it is you truely want and can imagine that is even better than all that you have ever even dreamed of allowing yourself to be thinking about what it is you TRUELY want. And you can always clarify and finetune your desire, asking yourself why you want it. Why does that feel so good? What about it feels so good? And then when you finally feel good in your imagining and you feel you have envisioned the absolute best, it's done. Let it go, and flow with it and allow it to be expressed in whatever way you feel most inspired to in any given moment in time, and are capable to in any possible given moment in time. And don't make that journey of doing what you are capable of doing any less than what it truely is, because it is everything that truely matters in life, your journey and your joy. Because you're never gonna get it done, your journey is forever and the point of life IS the journey that is the joy that you truely seek. It's all part of one another, all complete, whole, perfection, union, of all the truth of all of who you truely are in every single moment of your ever becoming the more of all of who it is you always truely already are, evermore.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, rideforever said:

If you set a goal that is within your means, and you have a feeling of inner collapse about it .... what does that mean ?
I think it means that you have something in your inbox that you need to be with before you think about goals; there is something inside that needs listening to right now, remembering, feeling, crying, facing, reconciling ... and that comes first.   That's what it means.

So do that.
And sit with that, hold those feelings that are needing to be felt, be with yourself as you are, softly.
Later maybe a lot later when in a more open place you can think again about making avenues and directions for yourself that represent what you actually want.
The words "setting goals" bring to my mind the kind of unconscious force people in society use to plough through life without feeling anything at all, they are not good words ... and the "goals" are not really theirs but copied from expectations and all sorts of ideas about society that are part of a fake and silly world.   They are not really your goals at all.

I am here, I am, I am.   
I flow, which valley am I flowing in, flowing through, flowing within.   
My course, my life, my blood.

Exactly, to allow your heart and mind work hand in hand, always, in harmony, that is the only way you can ever possibly allow yourself to truely know what it is you truely want. and then the journey towards that is always joyful and irrelevant to the outcome or result of any of it. Because in already knowing who you truely are ment to be, and thus then allowing yourself to already be it in any possible way you can allow yourself to be the ever becoming of it? That's the only requirement of life, as always is the purpose of your life, to live the joy of the everlasting journey, of your true eternal ever becoming the more of all that you truely already are.